Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffed Jeans

Do you cuff or hem your jeans?

• Total voters

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Oh, man, I'm not even going there! 'Honeycombs' are for the likes of the StyleForum and Denim Hunter folks... I just like well-made jeans and, although I do dig the patina that develops over time, I'm not inclined to make that much of a fetish of it!

Haha yeah, than throw em in the washer like regular jeanswearing peeps.. :p;)

My favourite jean at the moment is a '1940s' Freddies of Pinewood. It's veeeery generous cut, but I just love that fit. It has brace-buttons and a cinch-back. Highwaisted, heavy selvedge denim.. Downside is, the donut buttons come off with heavy wear.. just stupid. I wear all my jeans with turn ups, this one is no exception. Freddies targets the rockabilly-market so the jeans come standard at 36 inch inseam, even if you're just a 28 waist.

I bought a LVC 1915 ConeMills jean on ebay.. I thought of sending it back, but it grows on me. I like to wear braces which is a must on these, but I kind of was dissapointed about the weight of the denim.. it's thin. I don't think I will wash it ever cause I think this denim will not improve by it, but I might be wrong. Turnups offcourse..

I've cuffed my jeans all my life and only learned about the quality and started to enjoy wearing selvedge denim some 10 years ago. But as to how I wear the jeans nothing has changed really..

Last edited:

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Haha yeah, than throw em in the washer like regular jeanswearing peeps.. :p;)

I'm not THAT crazy! My jeans and denim jackets NEVER go near a washing machine – hand wash in cold water using soap-free 'travel wash' then hang dry = colour & fabric lasts longer!

My favourite jean at the moment is a '1940s' Freddies of Pinewood...

Yeah, they're a hella big cut, but I love mine too – one of my buttons is a mite wobbly, I'll have to keep an eye on 'em for signs of fatigue... like with my old LVC 201s, these high-waisted, full-cut denims encourage me to wear shorter, more period-correct jackets, which gives a really excellent hourglass shape... wearing 'em with a longer coat just looks weird!

As for Wranglers, well, I've owned many pairs over the years, and while the 13MWZ is indeed a classic, overall, I just don't like how sloppy that type of denim gets the more you wear it – in my experience, even the 'dry' vintage repro Wranglers just don't hold their shape... they seem to get baggy, like a pair of corduroys, in all of the wrong places, especially in the seat and the waist, and I really don't wear mine much anymore, as I'm fed up of having to hoist 'em up all the time, even with a belt on! But then again, I can see why some folks really hate the heavyweight, starchy feel of Levi's et al... guess that's put Lee 101s somewhere in the middle!

pipvh

Practically Family
Never did get a pair of Sugar Cane jeans, too expensive – mind you, I haven't bought any LVC since the relaunch, when the prices increased dramatically... £250 for a pair of jeans? Hmmm...

When I lived in London, you used to be able to find LVC jeans for £60 if you were lucky, think the most I've ever paid for a pair of selvedge is £80... once, I bought the first run LVC repros of the 'type 1' and 'type 2' 1800s jeans for £10 each, but couldn't get on with not having belt loops and ended up giving them to a pal from Australia – kick meself now, as I wear braces all the time! Oh, well, easy come, easy go...

At one point there was a guy in Japan with a really dodgy website selling Sugar Canes for about £50 - I took advantage. Alas, a long time ago. Mind you, even £250 spread over 7 or 8 years is a reasonable investment, should you be able to do the mental/fiscal gymnastics to make the initial purchase.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
When Levis first hit the mean streets of Surrey in the '60s we discovered the joy of every permutation of sizes (no messing about with lot numbers or washes, just inch increments and multiple leg lengths); and the challenge of gettting the size choice right so the length would end up just right after compulsory Brighton seabathing. ("No thank you, I do not want a break like some of the your new suits ......")

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear my modern 501s tailored with no cuff, the denim seems too flimsy these days anyway. My Freddies are a different matter all together & are double cuffed, they do lend themselves to it and look ok cuffed IMHO. Anything more than about a 4" cuff becomes a parody of itself....like those foot long ones (again IMHO)

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
I started turning my jeans up when I bought my first Momotaro. Got me some weird remarks and funny looks at my workplace but they soon got used to it and some even got my intention right. Together with boots (engineers, loggers, etc.)
it´s the ultimate vintage worker look and I like it a lot. It´s fashion after all but I don´t care.
"Rolling" up you jeans is Hipster-look! :eeek: :D

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Take a peek at weargustin.com, great selvedge jeans for about $90.. The denim is either American, Japanese or Italian. the construction is excellent. I've been wearing mine for a few weeks and I am well pleased.

bn1966

Just got myself a pair of Levi 505s (late 60s cut replicas genuine Levi). Fantastic quality, cuffed (turned up) them immediately & they look right (light weight denim..unlike my Freddies..so perfect for the warmer weather). Look great with my brown Regent's brogues.

Lafayette

New in Town
Take a peek at weargustin.com, great selvedge jeans for about $90.. The denim is either American, Japanese or Italian. the construction is excellent. I've been wearing mine for a few weeks and I am well pleased.

Boyo,

I recently ordered some Gustins that have yet to arrive (the Green Weft).

I really want to order more but want to wait to see how the waist fits.

Which version did you get?

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I currently have two pair, the Regular and the Super Heavy. I usually wear size 36, and the 36 fits pretty right on. I recently ordered the natural, and I sized down to the 35. My only complaint is the lack of choices for the inseam. In my waist size the inseam is 36 which is too long for me even with a cuff. I probably need to get them hemmed, but I would want to do it right with a chain stitch, so I may need to go to NYC to get it done. Good luck with your order. I'm pretty pleased with the process, although it does take time.

Edward

Bartender
You know, TFL being what it is, I've never known there to be a denim-sporting meet-up. We ought to get a bunch of us in the UK (there seem quite a few selvedge fans among us) together sometime. The Ace Cafe strikes me as an ideal meet-up point.... :)

bn1966

A denim- sporting meet sounds fun

discovery-hd-theater-cafe-racer-caferacer-tv-vintage-motorcycles-ace-cafe-london-rockers-59club-.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy