Cuffed Jeans

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Biltmore Bob, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Biltmore Bob

Biltmore Bob Suspended

Who else cuffs their jeans. I do, all my dungarees are about 2 to 4 inches long and I give the legs one big turn that is about two inches. Must go back to childhood when my Mon would buy every pair of britches for us boys too big in order for us to grow into them.

2. Mycroft

Mycroft One Too Many

I have never seen it done, except on Bogart, I read you don't cuff jeans. I roll them up though.

3. Biltmore Bob

Biltmore Bob Suspended

Not a cuff per say,

And not a roll, just one big turn out, for lack of a better word.

4. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

Turn-ups are de riguer on vintage jeans- for a vintage look.

B
    T

5. Biltmore Bob

Biltmore Bob Suspended

Turn up...

That's the term I was looking for. I've always bought my jeans about 2-4 inches longer than I needed.

6. MudInYerEye

MudInYerEye Practically Family

A four-inch turn-up is ideal.

7. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Yup

It's been a day of running after the pups, so I have on a new pair now that are cuffed about 3", with my hi-top PF Flyers.
    As I posted elsewhere several months ago, when I was a kid an old guy in the neighborhood who was the genuine depression throwback working guy used to turn his up (usually bib overalls) and he flicked his cigarette ash into the cuffs.
    He also used to catch we children and turn us upside down, pretending to light our pants seat on fire with the biggest Zippo I ever saw.
    Maybe not the guy to emulate....

8. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

i bought a pair of the levis 1929 jeans a couple of years ago, but they're just not highwaisted or wide legged enough to really look vintage (even though ironically they ARE perfect repros).

i like the way the kid on the right is wearing his....big cuff, plenty of sock and battered brogues. very norman rockwell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. radman46

radman46 New in Town

How weird or out of style does it look to have cuffs in your jeans with cowboy boots. I'm talking for working around the house, cutting grass, and running around town type dress. I have a couple of pair of boots that I like to wear but my longer jeans slide over the heel and drag the ground, my shorter length jeans look like I'm expecting high water. I usually just put one cuff in my jeans, but my daughter says it looks weird.

10. Jay

Jay Practically Family

11. HDRnR

HDRnR A-List Customer

It may look wierd but I still see oldtimers doing this, I think its kind of cool. Might also depend on the type of jeans your wearing, a really wide opening might get under your heals. I wear wrangler cowboy cuts and I order them a little long but I've never had that problem.

12. Xandros

Xandros New in Town

Cuffs in Men's Jeans with Cowboy Boots

I wear boot cut jeans with my cowboy boots. With boot cuts, the jeans come over the heel of the boot, but don't drag and get caught up under the heel. Levi's 501 jeans also work well with boots.

13. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I wear straight legs with cowboy boots, and roll them up. It never occurred to me that might not look right.

Well NOW I'll think twice! :eusa_doh:

14. Miss_Bella_Hell

Miss_Bella_Hell My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't think it looks weird at all. I think every single guy I know wears cuffed jeans with his cowboy boots.

15. SGB

SGB One of the Regulars

I've never seen a cowboy wear cuffed jeans at any Rodeo, branding, roping, ranch etc., only in the old movies. I don't know any cowboys who wear cuffed jeans, I do see non-cowboy types wear them in town though.

SGB

16. I'll have to go along with SGB on that. Yes, in old movies even John Wayne wore jeans with cuffs, but that was the 30's and 40's. If you're trying for a "vintage" look you can probably pull it off. I'd stay away from the rodeo arena though.

Radman46 - If you've got a smaller foot and you're kind of slim, try a Wrangler 936. They'll puddle on top of the boot but not drag on the ground.

17. J. M. Stovall

J. M. Stovall Call Me a Cab

It's also a very Rockabilly look, which is mostly based on the 50's.

18. pigeon toe

pigeon toe One Too Many

My dad used to wear his jeans like that with cowboy boots and a flannel in the early 90's. He had moved from Idaho to New York City to be with my mom. Every now and then he dresses like that, but usually only when we visit Idaho. Now he's all Northern Californian, doesn't hardly say "howdy" anymore either!

I think it's a great look, very manly and rugged!

19. Jovan

Jovan Suspended

I really don't see the problem with it. If your jeans are too long, that's the classic and logical solution.

20. Absinthe_1900

Absinthe_1900 One Too Many

How my Dad wore them in the early 1950s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]