Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks and Shirt Studs.

BrooksNYC

New in Town
Thanks, Anthony. Yes, some of the gold has taken on a greenish tinge. Hard to tell if it's the metal itself, or bleed from the blue enamel.

UPDATE: I've never cleaned them in all the years I've had them (I know......shameful). Your comment inspired me to hit them with a little silver polish, the only polish I have in the house at the moment.

The gold — which I assume is brass — brightened up considerably, losing some, but not all, of the greenish tinge. The enamel looks sharper and brighter too, so there must have been a dull film of age over everything.

(Would that silver polish could remove the dull film of age from my life, but that's a lot to ask of polish. :p )

Patches of gold on the backs of the cufflinks still have a faintly blueish, oxidized look. Maybe brass polish would get rid of it.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's a few pairs of cufflinks I've aquired over the last few months or so, nothing valuable but a cross section of what is available at least in the UK;
2weie52.jpg
20h21y8.jpg
24njhit.jpg

ay7w48.jpg
xdutkx.jpg

The cylindrical leather box came with the round snap cufflinks for a fiver in a charity shop locally, I don't think I paid any more than a three quid a pair IIRC?

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
346ug5x.jpg

almost a full dress set less one collar stud[/QUOTE]

The missing piece is not a collar stud, but an additional stud for the evening shirt's bosom front.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Here's my rather small collection of cufflinks:

The pair at the front are magnificent. They have a twisted bar which is a wonderful feature, making the cufflink sit rather comfortably. I always look out for other examples but never seem to find any. I am guessing they are from the fifties, maybe earlier?
IMG_0771.jpg

These are modern but are fantastic (although a pain to put on since the bar swivels). They are great with a dinner suit:
IMG_0773.jpg

These are modern, Polish green amber. They are beautiful when the light hits them and its a great colour for autumn:
IMG_0774.jpg

I think these date from the forties:
IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

Geez, I love all of those links, nice variety!

Effingham

A-List Customer
I love this. I'm a great fan of cufflinks, and just recently picked up a few more French-cuffed shirts.

Heck, I'm thinking of having my "regular" dress shirts taken to the tailor to be refitted for cufflinks. (Shouldn't be too hard -- kill the wrist button, and do in a button hole where it used to be.)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think cufflinks are great. I love having a variety of colors and sizes to match up shirts and suits/attire that is appropriate to wear with them. And to have some matching tie tack or tie bars and the studs for some shirts and waistcoats.

Most of these in the pictures are cufflinks, bags of studs, tie tacks and tie bars I have found and purchased, all over on the internet for sale, a few are from my own that I have had given as a gift or purchased in a department store over the years.

Many vintage cufflinks/studs/tie bars, are being sold for a reasonable price. When I see someone wanting to expand their own personal collection, I would suggest doing a search on eBay for vintage mens jewelry and then search again for the color of what you are looking for, red cufflinks, black, etc., and you will more than likely find what you are seeking (including some variety of cost).

I would guess that as long as you are not buying gold or silver cufflinks, and stick to old vintage ones, swank, etc., you can get a very nice collection for ownership and wear, for less than $100.00!!!!!

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I wear cufflinks with my formal evening shirts, but would like to expand to casual evening and daywear. The cufflinks that I like the most are the linked back type where both faces are the same.

What I have found is that the cuff link holes are not large enough to allow the cuff links to be easily inserted. This is true with both the modern and vintage type link backs that I have.

Has anyone else run into this problem and what has worked for you. The only solution that I currently have is to have the holes made 1/16" longer. I can't believe that the problem is universal, I must be doing something incorrectly.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I wear cufflinks with my formal evening shirts, but would like to expand to casual evening and daywear. The cufflinks that I like the most are the linked back type where both faces are the same.

What I have found is that the cuff link holes are not large enough to allow the cuff links to be easily inserted. This is true with both the modern and vintage type link backs that I have.

Has anyone else run into this problem and what has worked for you. The only solution that I currently have is to have the holes made 1/16" longer. I can't believe that the problem is universal, I must be doing something incorrectly.

This is a common issue I have myself, and depending on the shirt, it can go the other way. I have some shirts that required studs, had to sew half the button hole shut, the studs simply would keep falling out due to the button hole being too large! lol! I even purchased studs that have "spring backs" the small metal posts that go from one side of the back of the stud to the other, and those even kept falling out, if nothing else falling out from the front side as well, the holes were just too big!

Another issue you ,may run into are when the cufflink holes are not properly placed on the cuff of the shirt, very frustrating to deal with.

On your issue, take an ink pen lid, the cover off a plastic ink pen, that is sort of cone shaped, tapered at the point, and put that into the button hole, push it to spread open the link hole. if you jam that in a few times, stretch out that hole, you will find it much easier to insert the cuff link. Hope that helps you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy