Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cummerbund

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I would say no. May I ask why you would consider such a thing?

avedwards said:
I have an important question: can I wear one of these outside black tie wear? As in can I wear it with an ordinery jacket worn with a red bowtie?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
cufflinkmaniac said:
I would say no. May I ask why you would consider such a thing?
I am invited to a party where the dresscode is as much white as possible and after much thought I'm wearing light trousers, white dress shirt, cream coloured jacket and a red bowtie. I just wondered whether a cummerbund could be used or not as the whole thing ends up a bit bland.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Why not consider a patterned red bow tie? A nice pocket square that compliments the tie would be a nice touch as well. Perhaps some interesting socks? All of these things (and many more) can keep an ensemble from becoming bland.

avedwards said:
I am invited to a party where the dresscode is as much white as possible and after much thought I'm wearing light trousers, white dress shirt, cream coloured jacket and a red bowtie. I just wondered whether a cummerbund could be used or not as the whole thing ends up a bit bland.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
cufflinkmaniac said:
Why not consider a patterned red bow tie? A nice pocket square that compliments the tie would be a nice touch as well. Perhaps some interesting socks? All of these things (and many more) can keep an ensemble from becoming bland.
The bowtie I intend to wear does have a dotted pattern. And I am debating whether to wear a white pocket square (because of the dresscode) or a blue and red one which I usually wear with the jacket I will be wearing. Unforuntately all my socks are either black, grey or beige so not much scope for interesting socks.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I only wondered because I Sidney Greenstreet wear a light coloured suit with a regular necktie and cummerbund in Casablanca and I only intended to wear it with a bowtie. Visually the effect looks pleasing, satorially I'd guess it isn't. Where are the style barons like Marc Chevalier when we need them?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Greenstreet cummerbund

By George, I think you're right. I'm thinnin'. Since a cummerbund is meant to represent a sash, I'm wondering if Greenstreet is really wearing a sash in the movie. Verrrrry interesting question. You might have to wear a fez with it to do it properly. And gain 80 pounds. But the more I think about it, the more I think you might be able to pull it off.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
As you are essentially wearing it to a party for "fancy dress" purposes, I don't see why not. It is not "correct" dress by reference to any particular rules or traditions, but given it is in the name of fun I don't think it is a problem.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I'd say go for it. If a purist shudders with horror at the thought, so be it! Someone needs to set standards if anyone is to follow them!

Lead the way!

And as my guitar teacher once said (of jazz) "If it doesnt' sound (look) wrong, it's right"...

Edward

Bartender
wackyvorlon said:
Bear in mind, the pleats are meant to be worn pointing up. In quality cummerbunds, they conceal a small pocket.

It's surprising how many manufacturers get that wrong.... I have a really nice wool tartan one that I purchased specifically for costume purposes (Brad Majors...). I wear it "properly", despite the fact that this means the manufacturer's label is thus upside down! lol

Dan D

Familiar Face
All those in favour...!

Avedwards: I concur with the honourable sentiments expressed some moments ago: I think you could definitely pull off the look, it would add a dash of the cavalier to your outfit, and also act as a useful conversation-opener, always a useful tool at parties! I think Sallah also wears a fez, but you probably could get away without one...:)

A white pocket handkerchief might be lost in the rest of your outfit: something in a subtly contrasting colour might work better, perhaps ?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hat

OK, since we all seem to be having fun with this, let me toss in another image which is floating to the surface of my brain. A very wide brimmed, light colored pork pie fedora. Basically a Zoot Suit hat. Just a thought.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
avedwards said:
I am invited to a party where the dresscode is as much white as possible
This is called a White Party.

avedwards said:
after much thought I'm wearing light trousers, white dress shirt, cream coloured jacket and a red bowtie.
WHITE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner