Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current Day Distractions - Teens Suffer From "Facebook Depresssion"

I just saw a short article mentioning that today's teens can get obsessive over Facebook. When they see posts of others involved in having fun, such as at parties and events, they become depressed that they are not there.

I believe you can find the article on KGW.com, hopefully this link works:
http://www.kgw.com/lifestyle/health/Facebook-depression-122631789.html

Also look for the quote from a teen that has multiple uses of the ubiquitous term "like" that is classic.:eusa_doh:

:rolleyes:
Sounds like it's time for an important Institute to exam this serious threat to the self esteem of our children. Look into these other threats: Email depression, blogging depression, Cell phone depression, texting depression, lack of peer pressure depression.

Can anyone make a link to a type of depression that teens may have obsessed over during the Golden Era that can be considered a parallel to this? A fear for me is the reliance on convienience today is making people slaves of the media instead of the media being a tool of daily life.

Last edited:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I certainly think Facebook is having its effect on socialization and not just on teenagers. How people relate to one another, the 'Big Brother' aspect, and the voyeurism. Not my thing!
X
BD

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't go on Facebook too much these days anymore. Even then, it's usually to check updates from close friends and family. It was fun creating my leather jacket user group though. I think I have 30 or so people in that one.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I can completely see that 'depression', but I wish they would not call it that. Unless someone has been diagnosed with depression (raises hand) I hate it when people try and cleave to that ailment.

This is not about Facebook, which I use sparingly, its having these kid's perspectives set. The idea of everywhere at one time doing everything, rather than savoring what you can/can't do is lost in this instantaneous culture we have. I don't think a lot of media kids know how to wrestle with the concepts of different things happening at one time without them involved. If said person on FB is not in the midst of said fun, then sadness ensues, rather than being joyful for someone else's good time.

That in itself is sad.

I know people like this. They completely validate their entire life on this site and I find that disgusting. They are on it with their smartphones when they are out at the party! I mean seriously? There are people right here to talk to but you would rather be rude and tap away on your phone to people online? Its just silly and childish and crass.

LD

Last edited:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... I know people like this. They completely validate their entire life on this site and I find that disgusting. They are on it with their smartphones when they are out at the party! I mean seriously? There are people right here to talk to but you would rather be rude and tap away on your phone to people online? Its just silly and childish and crass. ...

We were out to dinner the other night and at a table across from us was a 20 something year-old couple. Both had their smart phones out texting away. They did this just about the entire time, never even looking up at each other. It took everything I had not to reach over and grab their phones, throw them to the floor, and stomp them to pieces. What a waste of time.

I've lived a good life. In my younger days I really had fun. I went backpacking in wild and remote places, rock climbed on first ascent pitches, hunted, fished, drank hard and drove fast (not at the same time, of course), and had a blast with some very interesting people. Now that I'm getting a bit older, I can look back at all those wonderful life experiences. I'm also old enough to look forward and know that most of my life is behind me (unless I live to be over 112 years old, that is).

I would hate to be some of the young folks today, who 30 or 40 years from now, look back on their own lives and sadly realize they never really lived.

Can anyone make a link to a type of depression that teens may have obsessed over during the Golden Era that can be considered a parallel to this? A fear for me is the complete reliance on convenience like this today is making people slaves of the media instead of the media being a tool of daily life.

Another fear of mine plays off of Lady Days statement that people validate their lives on Facebook and the situation Big Man gave. I have seen the same situation at parties where a couple comes to a family outing and both spend the entire time texting other people. I want to say you guys are here together and the people that you care about are here, living and breathing walking all a round you. They are engaging with other real live people, these are the people you should talk to, you can talk to them and look into their eyes and see their emotions and read their body language and truly engage with them using all of your senses.

I fear that we will wind up moving further apart in personal engagement and choose a device as coldly codified as texting to feel clever when we communicate. People will become too afraid to speak to one another face to face and become trapped in an artificial interface.

Last edited:
Since I don't feel a need to tell people what I'm doing every five minutes, I can't even imagine what people who are constantly texting are saying to each other. And I think I mentioned this somewhere in another thread that a texting etiquette has emerged that considers it rude to NOT immediately respond to someone's text message. How crazy is that?

Though in terms of vintage, I can, in a way, relate to so-called Facebook Depression. When I was a kid they used to regularly show old movies from the '30s and '40s on TV. And I remember feeling a certain sadness after watching these films regardless of whether it was a comedy or drama. I felt as if that was the world where I belonged but couldn't go there. Of course this was when the Internet was still some twenty years into the future. The Internet has truly become a time machine.

Tatum

Practically Family
But he also points out much of what is posted on the sites isn't reality.* The problem, he says, is that*for some people the social networking world becomes their reality.

I found that statement in the article rather telling.

I like reality. RE: Phones at the table: Hubby and I have a strict out to dinner rule: no phones at the table unless it's business or camera usage. I can accept him taking calls from clients.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
I can't see myself texting like that forever and so on. Not only are you just isolating yourself from the world, but personally I never have that much to say. If there was somebody texting me that much I would be ignoring the messages or shutting off the phone, and likely dropping them from my phone list, if I have them there in the first place.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
We were out to dinner the other night and at a table across from us was a 20 something year-old couple. Both had their smart phones out texting away. They did this just about the entire time, never even looking up at each other. It took everything I had not to reach over and grab their phones, throw them to the floor, and stomp them to pieces. What a waste of time.

Sadly, I think this behavior is becoming more of the norm. I've seen this quite a bit while out and about. Sometimes, it's the adults who have the gadgets they are playing with at dinner time, and sometimes it is the kids. I've even seen an entire family of four (adults and kids), each engaged in their own handheld gadget! It's sad that they don't seem to feel that having that time with actual living people who (hopefully) care about them is important and they waste it. I wonder if that will ever come back to haunt them when/if the time comes that those in-person "real" family and friends are no longer around.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I like reality. RE: Phones at the table: Hubby and I have a strict out to dinner rule: no phones at the table unless it's business or camera usage. I can accept him taking calls from clients.

And that is completely reasonable, but some people I have been out with from the moment they sit down to the moment someone talks to them, on the phone. I think its embarrassing. The blatant disregard for the people physically there astounds me.

I've even seen an entire family of four (adults and kids), each engaged in their own handheld gadget! It's sad that they don't seem to feel that having that time with actual living people who (hopefully) care about them is important and they waste it. I wonder if that will ever come back to haunt them when/if the time comes that those in-person "real" family and friends are no longer around.

You should take a picture of it and show it to them. "I call this 'family time'".

Sorry, venting :)

LD

Last edited:
Since I don't feel a need to tell people what I'm doing every five minutes, I can't even imagine what people who are constantly texting are saying to each other.

That also brings up something I don't understand. Cell phones are for people to contact others to tell them what they are doing. How many times have you gone to something really great, like a concert or sporting event or some type of event and significant portion of the attendees are not paying attention to the event, the band, music or what ever is happening because they are on the phone? "Dude, I am the Spudnutz concert! Johnny Splatstain is singing!" "Dude I'm at the game."

Some where someplace this has happened already: "Dude I'm at my daughter's wedding, wait I have to give away the bride, I'll call you right back." I can imagine the father of the bride doing the "hold my hand in someones face to make them stop talking while I take this call" routine to the pastor while he's reading the vows. "Hey can you wait a second I have to take this call." Or texting while standing at the alter. Someday the bride and groom will be saying: "Hey like let's like text our vows and everything to like each other, like it would be like really cool, you know?"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What I want to know is how does someone text and eat at the same time? What do they do, liquefy the meal and suck it up thru a straw so they'll have their hands free?

It's rather sad that the millions of years of evolution necessary to produce opposable thumbs has culminated in this.

rue

We went out to dinner with a couple awhile back and from the time we sat down until the time we left the husband was texting on his phone. He's 46 and should know better. His wife looked very uncomfortable and said something, but he never put it away. We haven't gone out with them since.

We have a strict rule in our home.... no phones at the table and no answering any phone if it rings while we're eating and that includes any of the kid's friends. In this day and age, nothing is so important that you can't call them back after dinner. As my grandfather used to say... "If you're calling, you're not dead and if you are, then nothing will change if I have to wait to find out after dinner". Harsh, but true.

As far as FB.... I just don't get it....

Pompidou

One Too Many
What I want to know is how does someone text and eat at the same time? What do they do, liquefy the meal and suck it up thru a straw so they'll have their hands free?

It's rather sad that the millions of years of evolution necessary to produce opposable thumbs has culminated in this.

I text with my right hand, using my thumb to press the letters since it's more complicated and I'm right handed. Like any kind of typing, you can get fast over time. My iPhone can even usually do a pretty decent job attempting to autocomplete words I type, so that speeds it up even more. Meanwhile, I hold my sandwich, fork or whatever's applicable in my left. The only time I'd have to put the phone down is to do any cutting. I can't think of a better use for opposable thumbs.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
That also brings up something I don't understand. Cell phones are for people to contact others to tell them what they are doing. How many times have you gone to something really great, like a concert or sporting event or some type of event and significant portion of the attendees are not paying attention to the event, the band, music or what ever is happening because they are on the phone? "Dude, I am the Spudnutz concert! Johnny Splatstain is singing!" "Dude I'm at the game."

Some where someplace this has happened already: "Dude I'm at my daughter's wedding, wait I have to give away the bride, I'll call you right back." I can imagine the father of the bride doing the "hold my hand in someones face to make them stop talking while I take this call" routine to the pastor while he's reading the vows. "Hey can you wait a second I have to take this call." Or texting while standing at the alter. Someday the bride and groom will be saying: "Hey like let's like text our vows and everything to like each other, like it would be like really cool, you know?"

And then the honeymoon will be spent "sexting"...(sorry to be crude, but nothing would surprise me anymore).

I keep my phone, a decidedly antediluvian model to be sure but who cares 'cause it functions, in my purse, on silent. I check it only if I'm alone and not otherwise engaged, usually on my commutes to/from work. It will stay in my purse during meals, because I want to enjoy what I am eating, and the company of those around me.

I was roped into joining Facebook; it bores me silly. I'm infinitely more amused by Lamebook, and as I tell people who are nonplussed by my lack of participation in that virtual funfest, I'd rather spend my time on Fedora Lounge.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer

I've lived a good life. In my younger days I really had fun. I went backpacking in wild and remote places, rock climbed on first ascent pitches, hunted, fished, drank hard and drove fast (not at the same time, of course), and had a blast with some very interesting people. Now that I'm getting a bit older, I can look back at all those wonderful life experiences. I'm also old enough to look forward and know that most of my life is behind me (unless I live to be over 112 years old, that is).

I would hate to be some of the young folks today, who 30 or 40 years from now, look back on their own lives and sadly realize they never really lived.

So true.. so very true.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Can anyone make a link to a type of depression that teens may have obsessed over during the Golden Era that can be considered a parallel to this? A fear for me is the complete reliance on convenience like this today is making people slaves of the media instead of the media being a tool of daily life.

John, I don't know of any links, i think we would need the perspective to come from someone old enough that has lived through those eras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot