Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current issue RAF Mk.3 Cold Weather Flying Jacket

Edward

Bartender

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Edward, thanks! I just sent them an email to see what the dimensions of the XL are.
I saw that an issue size 44 (whatever NATO size number that works out to, maybe 4?) is actually 50 inches pit to pit, so regardless of what the sizing advice on the tag says, I may be able fit into an 8.
I'd prefer to get an original just because I like these jackets faded out. They're a bit too 'pea green' when new for me. The older ones come in that nicer green that fades out gray. That's really what I want for a 'Black Death' tribute jacket.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
My friend, I'm not from UK. But we also have a cold summer sometime.
The photo which I showed above was made in July )))
I think you will not be disappointed with this jacket.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
This is a very comfortable and breathable jacket.
When I got it three or four years ago, it was my favorite jacket for two summer seasons.

Edward

Bartender
@Edward, thanks! I just sent them an email to see what the dimensions of the XL are.
I saw that an issue size 44 (whatever NATO size number that works out to, maybe 4?) is actually 50 inches pit to pit, so regardless of what the sizing advice on the tag says, I may be able fit into an 8.
I'd prefer to get an original just because I like these jackets faded out. They're a bit too 'pea green' when new for me. The older ones come in that nicer green that fades out gray. That's really what I want for a 'Black Death' tribute jacket.

They're a pretty baggy fit certainly. Might be possible to dye it into a colour more like what you're after; there are all sorts of posts on the web with folks trying to do that to et them closer to the grey/green look of the ones in Alien.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Flightengineer, my apologies! When you mentioned that you got your jacket from an ex-RAF colleague and that you wear a jacket in summer, I (mistakenly) thought that you must be in the U.K. Sorry.

@Edward, I love the original Alien film, never noticed the jackets before. Thanks.

After mailing all the people selling size 8's on eBay about the actual dimensions of the jackets, all but one just mailed me back the 'to fit size chest 100-110 cm' blurb that's printed on the label. Why are sellers too lazy to measure their jackets?

One guy measured his jacket and got back to me. From this I determined that it was long and wide enough for me, so I bought it!

Flightengineer

Practically Family
@Flightengineer, my apologies! When you mentioned that you got your jacket from an ex-RAF colleague and that you wear a jacket in summer, I (mistakenly) thought that you must be in the U.K. Sorry.

No problem, you have nothing to apologize for. I am in civil aviation, and my old british friend from whom I received jacket - was civil pilot too , only earlier he served in RAF.
In general, it does not matter :)
Anyway, this is a great jacket.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
BTW, while I'm thinking about it, there's a lot of current issue RAF Typhoon pilots jackets for sale on the Japanese internet right now. The new type with the deep V-neck opening, built in life preserver and mesh sleeves.
They look straight out of a sci-fi film. I couldn't wear one around. But I'm kinda surprised that they are available on the civilian market for just 300 USD.
Funny really. An RAF Typhoon detachment was over here last year hawking the Typhoon to the Self Defense Forces on behalf of BAE.
They seem to have 'lost' about 15 of these jackets from stores...

Flightengineer

Practically Family
I like the vintage jacket more. It has nice fade and soft fabric. In addition, it flew Avro Shackleton :)
I also had Mk.3 more later version, but I sold it because of the grayish color.

Нere the difference when I owned both.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
BTW, while I'm thinking about it, there's a lot of current issue RAF Typhoon pilots jackets for sale on the Japanese internet right now. The new type with the deep V-neck opening, built in life preserver and mesh sleeves.
They look straight out of a sci-fi film. I couldn't wear one around. But I'm kinda surprised that they are available on the civilian market for just 300 USD.
Funny really. An RAF Typhoon detachment was over here last year hawking the Typhoon to the Self Defense Forces on behalf of BAE.
They seem to have 'lost' about 15 of these jackets from stores...
some good pics & stuff here:
http://peopleus.blogspot.ca/2013/06/raf-pilots-in-1320mph-typhoon-aircraft.html

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Doctor Damage, thanks for the link!
Typhoon pilots don't just wear a 'jacket', they wear a 'counter pressure' jacket. Sounds like a G-jacket to me, which would explain the hose and inlet valve I saw on the ones for sale.
I don't think I like the idea of having my chest squeezed by high pressure air bladders.
This is the same kind of get-up that F-22 pilots wear. I wonder if there's such a thing as 'Typhoon cough'?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn