Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current issue RAF Mk.3 Cold Weather Flying Jacket

/|\

One of the Regulars
Do any UK Loungers have a line on a new RAF Mk.3 Cold Weather Flying Jacket?

I wear a size X-Large (46-48) in a CWU-45/P (U.S. flight jacket), though I'm working toward a Large.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
The sizing on the originals is at times confusing! I wear a 42 in jackets but have managed to wear anything from a size 5 to a size 8 (largest they make), I would suggest however that you go for the size 8. They are cheaper on eBay but prices for near-new ones has risen recently, service used ones often have wear and holes as the material isn't as strong as USAF nomex jackets.

Edward

Bartender
They seem available new from a very wide range of online Uk army surplus places. eBay does indeed often have the best prices. Www.silvermans.co.uk have a fantastic stock in general, though while they often have items it can be hard to find elsewhere, they are on the expensive side for items you can get from other sources. I can't access the site just now, but maybe also try www.sofmilitary.co.uk; they do modern issue as well as bits for reenactirs. Typically very good prices, at least in the Ww2 repro bits.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Be aware that they have a chest and varying heights. I'd say go for a height up from your own as they were made to be worn with high waisted trousers so are a bit short ..............

Great jackets though, with a quality gaberdine outer and lined with ventile of course !

always some on ebay.co.uk. Just type in keyword 'aircrew' in the militaria category.

DO NOT go anywhere near Silvermans for these items. They sell slight seconds for £150 plus based on the fact that our Govt pays £350+ for them.

Dave

Edward

Bartender
Dudleydoright said:
DO NOT go anywhere near Silvermans for these items. They sell slight seconds for £150 plus based on the fact that our Govt pays £350+ for them.

Dave

Ouch, that's a serious mark-up. I've seen them be pricey in the past compared to elsewhere, but that's quite severe.

Is £350 what the Forces pay per unit on these, or is that what it ends up being with all the inevitable admin costs etc? Seems an awful lot of money for what it is as a garment, given the numbers they must be getting them in? That said, I'm no expert, so there could very well be a good reason for it.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
That's Silvermans !!

No, £350 is the price per unit on the jackets to the MoD. I know that from a contact at the main makers. I also know he provided Silvermans with the 'VERY slight' seconds at a cut down rate .......

Also, once, a few years ago, I went into Silvermans wearing one of the jackets. Silverman himself said 'nice jacket, those cost £350 new'. I said I could get them a lot cheaper than that if he was interested and he got all bent out of shape, going off on one about stolen goods etc. Tried to placate him but he would have none of it.

They are a very nice and totally underrated combination. Good for motorcycles too if you don't feel the need for armour.

Dave

Edward

Bartender
Dudleydoright said:
That's Silvermans !!

No, £350 is the price per unit on the jackets to the MoD. I know that from a contact at the main makers. I also know he provided Silvermans with the 'VERY slight' seconds at a cut down rate .......

Also, once, a few years ago, I went into Silvermans wearing one of the jackets. Silverman himself said 'nice jacket, those cost £350 new'. I said I could get them a lot cheaper than that if he was interested and he got all bent out of shape, going off on one about stolen goods etc. Tried to placate him but he would have none of it.

They are a very nice and totally underrated combination. Good for motorcycles too if you don't feel the need for armour.

Dave

They put me in mind of a contemporary take on an M41, actually. Not an unattractive jacket by any means. Admittedly, I struggle to see £350 in one, but then I suppose that's primarily a matter of taste - especially when one looks at the price of the premium B15 repros, which I imagine are around the same quality level.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
How warm is this jacket? Can you use it to minus 25c ?

I have to get a shearling jacket, but funds and time is short, so I was thinking about something like this for the upcoming witer, I have a feeling its gonna be one to remember.

What about this one otherwise:
LargeImage.aspx

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
No real warmth to speak of. It is waterproof (lined in ventile) but only has a nylon mesh interliner between the gaberdine and ventile. You would need a couple of thinner layers under it and even then, it wouldn't be good for -25 celcius or farenheit. Just general spring and autumn in the US and winter in the UK.

Dave

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Well, I suppose a B-15C might be ok - with ohter layers on under it. BUT your butt's gonna get cold !

A B-11 parka perhaps ................ ? It's a flight jacket you specifically want is it ? As generally they were designed to be worn with pants as a combination in really cold weather.

Dave

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I would recommend an N3 or N-3a or N-3b parka.

I have a mate who is selling an olive green N3 as well as a blue N-3a. PM me your e-mail adderss and I'll put you in touch.

I have one (can't show photos as I'm at work). They are a seriously good bit of kit.

The N-2's are good if you want a shorter jacket but similar top section.

Cheers,
Dave

/|\

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the answers. It sounds like I might be better off watching eBay, than going through s distributor. I'll keep my eyes open.
I would recommend an N3 or N-3a or N-3b parka.

I have a mate who is selling an olive green N3 as well as a blue N-3a. PM me your e-mail adderss and I'll put you in touch.
I have a couple of N-2Bs; one issue, and one commercial Alpha. It doesn't really get cold enough for an N-3B. I've seen a couple of days in the single Fahrenheit digits, but it rarely gets colder than about 10ºF/-12ºC. Generally in February it will hover around 25ºF/-4ºC and above. And I've got my WPG Irvin I'm gradually shrinking into, plus my white jumper and a peacoat.

Thanks for the offer, though! :)

ETA: I'm looking for the RAF jacket just because I like flight jackets. ;)

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Sorry, the N-3b offer was aimed at griff as he's in Norway. I would assume you, being based in the US, would know all about the N-3b.

Although my buddy usually has half a dozen Mk III's hanging about in his surplus shop.
Dave

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I just finished reading Ethell & Price 'Air War South Atlantic', an awesome account of the Falklands air campaign. This inspired, it occurred to me that I need a Mk.3 jacket with RNAS and 800 squadron patches as a tribute to these guys!
Imagine my surprise to find that the largest size issued was a size 8 (110 cm chest) which equates to a size 44.
RAF pilots are so thin!
Not a chance I'm going to make this happen.
BTW, you seen these jackets? Elvis collars :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy