Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom shirts

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Great initial experience...

Met with Mr. Kenny from My Tailor. Was very happy with the choices and the options. Careful measurements. I ordered a french cuff, blue end-on-end weave with white collar and cuffs. ALSO, I ordered (don't tell my wife) a WWII replica shirt in khaki cotton complete with two flap pockets and epaulettes. They wanted to sell me four, but I got them to just do two. $75 each plus $11 for shipping and duties. Looking forward to seeing how these work out. The khaki is a VERY close match to some NOS worsted wool trousers that I bought on eBay recently.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Custom suits in Hong Kong?

As "price is a consideration" for me, $38 per shirt versus $65 means a heck of a lot. Does the same tailor mentioned in HK (jantzentailor.com) do suits too, and, if so, are they similarly inexpensive?

Ed

Familiar Face
Jantzen Suits

Jantzen does suits, but not on-line. You would have to
go to Hong Kong and have fittings. Jantzen does not travel.
With quality English or Italian cloth, their suits start at
about $600 US.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Promised photo...

Zemke Fan said:
Met with Mr. Kenny from My Tailor. Was very happy with the choices and the options. Careful measurements. I ordered a french cuff, blue end-on-end weave with white collar and cuffs.
Here's a photo...
Shirt-Tie.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
My Tailor does a really good job and making vintage style dress shirts. They offer as standard a couple of collar shapes/spreads that look convincingly like dagger collars. What you want to do, if you want something really nifty, though, is for a "Deckard" style collar. Which ever collar style you want, though, you should go with a non-fussed collar and seam 1/4" off the collar edge. When you order your shirt look just at old catalog scans for details and fabric inspiration.

I ordered a batch of shirts last year from them and was quite pleased. In my experience, with shipping and import tax, shirts from MT end up costing about $100/per but are worth it. Quality, comfort and fit-wise they are on better than much more expensive shirts I own!

Here's close up of a "Deckard" collar:
39168_415663392300_535412300_5263816_7005201_n.jpg

And here's an action shot of the same shirt (sitting across from me is Anon. also wearing a MT shirt):
38919_1493145842909_1061922555_1445013_259322_n.jpg

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
A few fellows here at work get business shirts from T.M. Lewin in the UK. I have not ordered as yet, but quality appears good and price is very reasonable if a quantity is ordered.

T

SteveAS

Practically Family
I bought a few shirts from Jantzen, but I found they made mistakes (did not make the shirts entirely to my specs) and had very poor customer service, so I gave up on them.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wouldn't endorse them either; I was just fixing the link. I've never used them but I've heard loads of horror stories over at StyleForum. It seems that they come out best if you get fitted at their shop (as with any tailor/shirtmaker) or if you send them a shirt to copy. Supplying your own measurements is always problematic.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
@Guttersnipe

That's an awesome shirt you have! I'll try Joe Hemrajani, for sure.
How long is the collar point and what's the back height of your shirt's collar? Do you have soft interfacing in the collar and cuffs or none at all?

Thanks!

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I have had good luck with www.bestcustomshirt.com. I have ordered both shirts and pants from them.

However, lately, I've switched almost exclusively to Paul Fredrick shirts. They offer custom or off-the-rack shirts, and I believe their white oxfords are some of the best quality shirts I've ever had. I have some in my daily wear rotation that have been worn regularly for four years now and show no sign of wear. Also, you can occasionally find a coupon online to get four of their non-custom shirts for twenty bucks each. You generally get to choose between a few collar options and either button or French cuffs.

eddiehmd

New in Town
I've ordered shirts before on the internet with custom prints, worked well for me. But I'm not sure how well custom designs or cuts would turn out.

Espee

Practically Family
Lately I watched several circa 1930 movies (mostly Laurel and Hardy) where the majority of the male actors were wearing plain shirts, but with wingtip collars. Today we generally see wingtip collars on tuxedo shirts with ruffled or patterned fronts. In those films, fellows working in offices, stores, carpenter shops (or even delivering a piano!) had the neck bands of their bow ties or four-in-hands exposed...
I see Jantzen lets you pick-a-collar-style... any other ideas? (Hoping to keep the price low.)

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
Lately I watched several circa 1930 movies (mostly Laurel and Hardy) where the majority of the male actors were wearing plain shirts, but with wingtip collars. Today we generally see wingtip collars on tuxedo shirts with ruffled or patterned fronts. In those films, fellows working in offices, stores, carpenter shops (or even delivering a piano!) had the neck bands of their bow ties or four-in-hands exposed...
I see Jantzen lets you pick-a-collar-style... any other ideas? (Hoping to keep the price low.)

If you want to do THIS style right, I would go with a detachable collar shirt. That is likely what they were all wearing. I get mine made by Duchess, Clothier, and they're wonderful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner