Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom shirts

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I have had good luck with www.bestcustomshirt.com. I have ordered both shirts and pants from them.

However, lately, I've switched almost exclusively to Paul Fredrick shirts. They offer custom or off-the-rack shirts, and I believe their white oxfords are some of the best quality shirts I've ever had. I have some in my daily wear rotation that have been worn regularly for four years now and show no sign of wear. Also, you can occasionally find a coupon online to get four of their non-custom shirts for twenty bucks each. You generally get to choose between a few collar options and either button or French cuffs.

He said it

Ed13

Familiar Face
I ordered my first shirt from Jantzen about 6 years ago. It fit decently and the fabric was good. Three friends tried them as well and all three shirts ended up in the garbage. Four years ago I tried 10 shirts in person while in Hong Kong thinking this would be a good way to make sure they turned out OK. At least half the shirts had to be remade 1 to 2 times (sleeves would be 8" too short). Even after this the shirts never had the proper details such as collar width and interlinings. I only wear a couple of shirts from that batch of ten.

While in Hong Kong I had Jantzen make a pair of flannel trousers that lasted 2 wearings before I threw them away. I also had made a waistcoat which I have never worn. The fit is on par with off the rack but not made to measure.

In short, no deal to be had if you factor in what is thrown away.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have never tried Jantzen before. I bought some custom shirts from Ascot Chang though I usually buy off the rack. They have a shop in Beverly Hills and one in New York. Same as suits, you can't buy shirts online and expect them to fit, you have to go to the shop. Same as choosing the cloth, you have to touch and feel it unless it is a brand you are familiar with. Problem with cheap shirts in HK is that after they took your measurements, they sent them to Mainland China to be made overnight and the cloth are usually not branded stuffs. That's why I don't buy custom shirts in HK. For any bespoke wear, it is best to have the actual tailor to take your measurement (except bespoke shoes). As for tailored suits, you have to do several fittings at different time of day. I usually do first fitting after lunch and second fitting after work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner