Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Vanson Chopper - Input Needed

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm all for the Stealth look, but I now agree that black zips do look a bit dull / cheap compared to metal.
I have really come to like the look of the brass hardware on my MC jackets once they have had a chance to weather and tarnish a bit.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Narrowed it down to two options. Both in Z150 leather, black rayon lining w 2 horizontal zip pockets, no leather gun pocket, buckles in reverse direction closing towards back,

A. Brass hardware, Black snaps at chest/collar, black waist buckles, regular black stitching throughout

B. Brass hardware everywhere, bone or dark grey contrast stitching throughout?

What does the lounge say???

El Marro

I vote B for Brass!!!
I think contrast stitching will also look great on this jacket and bring out some of the unique elements. If I were you I would consider dark brown stitching because it is very low-key and yet still noticeable.

^^^^^ B. Don’t go too subdued, the jacket loses some of its pop.

Last edited:

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Still not fully decided, but Im now thinking Brass clashes too much with my bike. If this jacket was just for casual clothing wear, then the Black leather and brass would definitely be more classy. But I think the Chrome/Nickle would mesh better with my bike vibe....
image1-20.jpeg

Colin G

One Too Many
Personally, I would not worry if your jacket matches your bike at all.

I'm more a fan of vintage Triumphs but those new Bonnevilles are cool motorcycles. Nice bike.

Last edited:

El Marro

I agree with Carlos and Colin that nobody is going to look at the chrome on your motorcycle in the brass on your jacket and think that you made a fashion faux pas. On the other hand this is your jacket and that thought has already occurred to you. I think that chrome or nickel hardware will look just fine on this jacket. That is how Thurston Brothers spec most of their MC jackets and it looks great.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
If you think of black hardware, why not gunmetal / antigued nickel instead, looks better than black painted hardware as they will chipp off and looks damaged instead of patinaed

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
I bought my Vanson Rock n' Roll 20 years ago. I was up at the factory in MA, everything had nickel hardware except one jacket with brass. Combo looked so good I ordered it for my R&R, a classic look. Only problem, the jacket is a 38 and now I'm a 42, but determinedly working my way back to wearing it again, good motivation.

IMG_7732.JPG

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
7E577F6D-ADDD-43B4-9F5C-AE3B77894652.jpeg
830DBA5B-E862-4143-A847-FC9DE18A4B55.jpeg
2A3EA71C-3D3C-48E8-BE48-0921E83247B6.jpeg

I wear my Vanson Chopper on my Triumph Tiger as much as on my Bonnie Scrambler. Pics above from earlier this week. I like the brass zipper & buttons on my jacket, seems to go well with the black comp weight leather. Also nobody seems to notice the brass zippers not matching with my bikes, I wouldn’t worry about that :)

Last edited:

red devil

Still not fully decided, but Im now thinking Brass clashes too much with my bike. If this jacket was just for casual clothing wear, then the Black leather and brass would definitely be more classy. But I think the Chrome/Nickle would mesh better with my bike vibe....
View attachment 157839

As other people have said I wouldn't overthink it to this extent... You're already matching the colour - black leather on a black motorcycle - so you're pretty safe. And then again considering your motorcycle is black, it can match pretty much with any colours. I would rock a red leather jacket on it... but my Forum name says I am biased :D

More seriously, no matter what stitching and hardware you get, the jacket will look beautiful on your bike so I wouldn't worry too much... and my vote goes for brass hardware, there's just something timeless about brass with black leather

Edit: typo and punctuation

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Does anyone know if the current / new Vanson Brass zippers /buckles will actually tarnish /patina? I can see that the old stock used definitely did but my experience with Aero shiny brass is that it doesn't really tarnish. Probably not actually pure brass and or a super heavy protective coating

I keep going back and forth on such a simple choice between silver and brass. Jacket OCD! I have 100% decided that the collar /chest snaps will be black either way.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
JMax- how old is that Chopper? Your main zipper teeth almost looks black now. But the pulls are still super shiny

JMax- how old is that Chopper? Your main zipper teeth almost looks black now. But the pulls are still super shiny

This pic is from last year sometime, been a little while. I have had the jacket about two years. The brass does tarnish, especially the collar snaps. I tested a brass cleaner on the jacket, also last year. When the cleaner worked remarkably well, I was “forced” to go over all the brass.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
So here's my final draft! Now just need to decide whether to keep the lapel snap down studs or go with a cleaner no snap look. I rarely use the snaps and would mostly ride with the Chopper full zipped up.

10616689_534725416629039_2381286592161405174_n copy 2.jpg

10616689_534725416629039_2381286592161405174_n copy.jpg

Since you can’t hide all the snaps on this type of collar, I would go with the 2d photo. Either way, this jacket will be amazing. Which leather are you using, X-150?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner