Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customer Service in the old days versus now.

It seems that so many places suchs as stores and restaurants don't have a clear picture of the concept of customer service. If you've had a run in with some type of problem or snafu at a store, you know how frustrating it is when the treatment in unconciounable (spelling).

Bad treatment is often followed by "well what can we do to make it better?"

Sometimes they just don't understanding avoiding making a problem to begin with is the best answer.

Have you have a problem with customer service and got the finger or got helped?

Any stories from the golden era of things getting done right the first time or great fixes to the problem?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Customer service is, quite simply, the idea that a business's first responsibility is to its customers, not to its shareholders, its staff, or anyone else. If the customer isn't happy, nobody's happy, and customer service is the entire system of functions that ensure that the customer is happy.

In the Era this meant department stores with floorwalkers roaming about ensuring that every customer was being treated courteously and efficiently by the sales staff, and that they could find everything they needed. In theatres this meant uniformed ushers seeing patrons to their seats and ensuring that any problems in the audience were immediately addressed. In gas stations it meant uniformed attendants who pumped your gas, checked your oil, polished your windows, and made sure your tires were properly inflated. You get the idea.

The opposite of customer service is being served by a surly, gum-chewing, cell-phone-yapping clerk who can't be bothered to care if you find what you need or not.

I think it's practically non-existent these days. I went into two stores in town today looking for 'for sale' signs and did not get asked if I needed assistance once. Heck, I couldn't even find a stock boy to ask!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I prefer to shop on-line when possible so I avoid stores anyway.

In the business world though, there are many companies that have fantastic customer service. Sure there are also some that suck, but I really don't think customer service is dead. (Well it might be for companies that moved their call centers overseas, but I don't usually have to deal with that).

There are dozens of businesses - right here in these good old United States - where I really like working with the customer service people. My customers tell me they love to work with our own customer service people too - they are one of our best assets and people take the time to call me and tell me that all the time.

Having said all that, know that getting CS help in BestBuy or similar is tough. That's why I research and order on-line and just go and pick up at the front desk.

DNO

One Too Many
We used to have one of those classic hardware stores in my neighbourhood...old wood floors and all. You'd go into the store and the very pleasant fellow at the cash would ask what you're looking for and then disappear into the store. A short time later he would be back with exactly the thing you required. Try that at Home Depot. I really miss that place.

I think it's practically non-existent these days. I went into two stores in town today looking for 'for sale' signs and did not get asked if I needed assistance once. Heck, I couldn't even find a stock boy to ask!

I'll bet if you were merely browsing around they'd be swarming all over you. :p

We used to have one of those classic hardware stores in my neighbourhood...old wood floors and all. You'd go into the store and the very pleasant fellow at the cash would ask what you're looking for and then disappear into the store. A short time later he would be back with exactly the thing you required. Try that at Home Depot. I really miss that place.

That's because Home Depot is not a hardware store, it's a "home improvement center." :rolleyes: The last old-time hardware store around here was a place called Clark's Hardware in downtown Santa Ana.

Last edited:

lframe

One of the Regulars
Top's Shoes in Asheville, NC, still gives amazing customer service, as does Chick-Fil-A restaurants. I worked retail for many years and when my son was younger, working part time in a bookstore. Had I been on commission? It would have been amazing, because I still believe in customer service and people would wait to shop when I was there.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Customer service is, quite simply, the idea that a business's first responsibility is to its customers, not to its shareholders, its staff, or anyone else. If the customer isn't happy, nobody's happy, and customer service is the entire system of functions that ensure that the customer is happy.

In the Era this meant department stores with floorwalkers roaming about ensuring that every customer was being treated courteously and efficiently by the sales staff, and that they could find everything they needed. In theatres this meant uniformed ushers seeing patrons to their seats and ensuring that any problems in the audience were immediately addressed. In gas stations it meant uniformed attendants who pumped your gas, checked your oil, polished your windows, and made sure your tires were properly inflated. You get the idea.

The opposite of customer service is being served by a surly, gum-chewing, cell-phone-yapping clerk who can't be bothered to care if you find what you need or not.

Yeah, nothing like that, really.

At least, not in the big places.

Small places like stationary-shops, art-supply shops, bakeries, cafes, smaller shops, etc. Yes. But not any of the big shopping-centers.

You know, I shop in Pardeeville, because I try to support local business. The least they can do is tell me whether or not they have a dang for sale sign in stock!!!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I find it's the little shops that give better customer-service. Stationer's shops. Those little nick-nack shops. Smaller cafes and restaurants. Bakeries. Butcheries. Smaller clothing-shops, charity-shops etc.

I don't recall the last time I went into one of those huge shopping-centers and had someone ask me if I was after something, needed something, etc...

It's even worse when you go in and they're behind the counter yakking away to someone else about their weekend and there's four people waiting ahead of you to ask a question and they just don't seem to give a damn.

But on the other hand, customers share a responsibility to be people that shopkeepers and clerks would want to serve.

Trying to expect service from someone when you're talking on the phone and surfing on your iPad at the same time is hardly conducive to good communications, or showing that you're even serious about asking a question or getting real service.

My local bakery (among other places) have actually stuck up signs on their front windows / counters, indicating that they give better service when they can speak to YOU, and not trying to compete with your mobile-phone and your Cousin Jack who's calling from New York.

You're right there, Shangas. I go to the local thrift shops and they'll set things aside they'll know I want, or point me toward things they think I'll want. That's good service.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the things I teach the staff at the theatre is that the minute they step behind the counter, their personal needs get put aside as long as they're punched in. The only needs that matter are the needs of the people buying the tickets and the popcorn -- and the only *only* reason we're there is to serve those needs. If they aren't willing to do that, they don't get hired. If the customer is difficult, well, our job is to make them happy, and if that means inconveniencing us with an extra squirt of butter or another cup of coffee to replace the one they ruined by putting too much sugar in it, then that's what we do. If a customer leaves unsatisfied, we haven't done our jobs properly. If they want to be indifferent and surly on the job, well, the multiplex is always hiring.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Customer service is absolutely disgusting nowadays. Every time I call a major corporate company I have to press 17 buttons to talk to a human being who is clearly reading from a script. I boycott companies that do not give back to their customers, and support as many local business that I can. Years ago I worked for a company that had us read a script when we answered the phone. When the customer had a simple question, instead of answering they forced us to sell to them in an elaborate superficial way. It made me feel like a greedy cheat. I think that company has since gone under.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, you know, except for the lilac-colored wigs and the smirking double-entendres, that's how the better establishments really were. The idea was to take a tired, harried shopper and make her feel, for just a few moments at least, like she was somebody special, and that she mattered.

Businesses didn't do this just to be nice -- it was *good* business, and if it meant not hiring the first pimply nose-picker who applied and maybe spending a little more on surroundings, well, it was worth it in the long run. Today's bottom-line mentality just can't seem to grasp that.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That, and Mrs. Slocombe's pussy*.

Seriously, I do see what you're saying. Even though it WAS a comedy (and a damn good one), AYBS did show how service USED to be. I don't recall seeing anything like that in recent years in any big department-store. Perhaps when I was in London, but not around here in Melbourne. Like I said, I tend to find that it's the smaller establishments that give better service.

Perhaps because there's fewer customers at any one time, the staff at smaller establishments can give better individual service? I dunno.

I volunteer at the local charity thrift-shop. We didn't get any 'training' as such. How to work the till, don't be late, be nice, know how to keep things tidy, arrange/unpack stock, etc.

But I (and my friends) have always been nice. We greet people when they come in. We see them off when they leave. We hold their stuff behind the counter while they're browsing. We tell them if we do/don't may/may not have something. And where it might/might not be found, and for what price.

We're not above jokes, chitchat, general conversation, etc. And in my experience, that's what customers like. We're not androids who go "Yes sir, no sir, three bags full, sir. Cash or credit, sir?" We take the time to chat and get to know them. Which is important, because our shop is one of those small institutions which actually HAS regular customers who come in every few weeks, and we all know each other by sight and name. So bad service would never do.

Of course, there are incidents that do happen. With customers being rude and there being shouting matches (I've seen it happen three times at two different shops where I volunteered). But to my knowledge, no-one at the shop where I currently spend my time has ever given bad service.

*Pussycat.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Not sure about the rest of the world, but American youth does not belong in customer service. Every time I go into some sort of fast food or large corporate franchise, I feel as though I am bothering them by being there. I ordered a meal at a drive through the other day and sat at the order speaker for about five minutes before the person on the other side of the speaker told me the price of my meal and “asked” me to pull ahead to the window. All while sounding very perturbed at me for not pulling up once I had given them my order. Then they seemed upset that they had to take my money and give me my meal. This is not an isolated incident, it happens; I would say one out of every four times I go to these types of establishments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass