Customizable alternatives to Freewheelers Brakeman?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by carl_c, Jun 30, 2019.

1. carl_c

carl_c Familiar Face

I kinda want a longer jacket recently since I don't have one. I really like the freewheelers brakeman especially the 'one picece' front with 3 pockets, and I've tried on my friend's brakeman in a size 40 (my size is usually 36 or 38), makes me unsure about my desired fit of this jacket, so I'm looking for a customizable alternative.

I found AERO and HB have similar styles, but both have 'two-piece' front design with 2 pockets. I wonder if they can make it 'one piece' front just like FW? And for the color, I like the orange from FW and median brown from HB, but for AERO, the ligthest brown HH I found was russet, which is still a bit dark than what I want, I wonder do they have a lighter brown or orange HH?

And apart from AERO and HB, do we have other alternatives?

2. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Johnson Leathers, SF
    IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2442.JPG

carl_c, Maitiu and Colin G like this.
  3. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

carl_c likes this.
  4. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

I really like Aero's Maxwell design. It's a chore coat, and, if Aero would make the pockets horizontal, it'd be a lot like the JL pictured. Whitefeather does a long car coat that is similar. Aero's Stockman is also a great longer pattern. Simmons Bilt will do a full custom design, but, if they have to do something very different, it'll cost you about 900 GBP. It'll be solid, but I think that Aero's stitching is neater, and my one SB has glued-down seams, which might make any future repairs a bit more difficult.

5. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

I‘ve handled many Aero (>10) and SB (around 10) jackets in the last 6-7 years and I‘ve never seen a real quality difference (stitching of my jackets is the same as far as I can judge it as I‘m not a tailor). Glued seams is new to me - perhaps they recently implemented this (you would need to ask Debs) as I bought my last SB about 3 years ago. They have done customizations for me in the past but they‘ve never upcharged...maybe they‘ve changed this in the past 3 years. I was always satisfied with both Aero and SB - dealing with Debs was always a pleasure as she’s a really nice person - I know there are not many SB supporters here due to there history, I only want to share my experience

Lebowski likes this.
  6. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

My SB was a total custom job- the gluing may or may not be standard. I prefer Aero's designs on the whole, but I reckon quality is probably similar.

7. Maitiu

Maitiu New in Town

8. carl_c

carl_c Familiar Face

It looks good, I checked out their website (the website itself is super vintage), I didn't find this jacket or any car coat, may I ask how did you ordered that? And what leather options do they have?

9. carl_c

carl_c Familiar Face

10. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Send them a mail and check their instagram. They have more styles than on the website and on top of that do pretty much anything custom you ask for, including completly new styles. Leather they have wverything. Goat, Cow, Horse, Deer, Bison, including CLX from Horween as Aero uses.

https://www.instagram.com/johnsonleathersf/

carl_c likes this.