Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customs Duty Question

sshack

A-List Customer
Anyone have any advice/answers for this situation? I'll try and be brief.

1) I ordered a jacket from Aero. Unfortunately the jacket doesn't fit. And I just received a bill from DHL for approx. $70 in duties.

2) I need to return my jacket to Aero.

So... my question is: What about the bill for the $70 in duties? It seems unfair that I pay duties on a jacket that I have to return. Does anyone know the refund process for this situation? I am vaguely aware of a "Duty drawback" process, but that seems geared towards big companies and not an individual retail customer as myself.

Thanks for any help!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I don't know about the U.S., but I imagine the procedure is about the same as over here (Germany).
The customs office should be able to provide you with the necessary papers. When you take the Aero parcel to the post office to return the shipment, the postal service will confirm the return shipment on said papers. Then you can go to the customs office with those papers, and they'll refund the import fees. This procedure is the only way they can get proof that the return shipment has actually been dispatched.

It works for individual customers as well, at least over here.

Last edited:

kojax

Practically Family
i just sent my a2 jacket back to japan for another size. i used the post office it cost me 80.00 the jacket gor there in 4 days. the company send me a new jacket and free shiping not bad

sshack

A-List Customer
i just sent my a2 jacket back to japan for another size. i used the post office it cost me 80.00 the jacket gor there in 4 days. the company send me a new jacket and free shiping not bad

Kojak, this is about customs duties, not shipping charges. Although that's a valid issue in and of itself, lol.

sshack

A-List Customer
Rabbit, I wish our customs process was as simple as Germany's. I did a bit of research and I have to fill out this complicated form that is more geared towards big companies. I'm not sure, but the jacket may even have to be inspected first by customs agents? And even then, it could take a year to get my money back. I really hope I'm wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails