Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dance lessons

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
The wife unit and I are considering taking ballroom dance and shag lessons. We've wanted to take both for a while, and we thought it might be a way to get more exercise other than our daily 4 mile walks. We're still trying to shed some weight...

I've been calling around town and the prices are $14-50 per couple per week. Obviously, the cheapskate in me likes the $14 class. Are those prices about right? They don't seem too bad to me.

Any tips on what to look for or avoid? Any tips on preparing? Any tips on dance floor etiquette for the newbie? Anything I'm forgetting?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Check out my thread on learning to dance (see signature line). In the first post is a lot of information on selecting lessons, teachers, clothes, etc., and the thread is full of tips on getting the most out of your classes. There's also a thread called Dance Etiquette--it's a thread from way back, somewhere in the Observation Bar, I think.

Fifty dollars a couple per week sounds awfully expensive. IMO, that's what a one-hour private lesson should cost. Price doesn't really equate to quality for dance lessons, IME. I've had a lot of terrific free or low-cost classes, mostly given at dance clubs.

As wonderful as dancing is, it won't help you lose much weight. I put on 20 pounds even as an avid dancer. For weight loss, I suggest laying off the sugar and starch in all forms (think Atkins or Protein Power--that's how I lost the 20 pounds; see my blog).

Enjoy!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Paisley said:
As wonderful as dancing is, it won't help you lose much weight. I put on 20 pounds even as an avid dancer. For weight loss, I suggest laying off the sugar and starch in all forms (think Atkins or Protein Power--that's how I lost the 20 pounds; see my blog).

Enjoy!

I second this - I do Ballroom/Latin for about 5-8 hours a week, and unfortunately rarely during classes do you get anywhere near that "fat-burning zone". I have noticed that the gluteals and legs seem much more toned, though, and it is great for your core and posture!

Warning - dancing is addictive! Have a wonderful time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy