Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dapper in '34

Edward

Bartender
I like the look, myself... while I agree that it is not as dressy as a suit, it can give one the feel of being fully dressed without being overdressed - not that I normally would care about that sort of thing so much, but on occasions where it might not be the done thing to be too well dressed (e.g. knowingly outdressing one's host at a houseparty might be considered bad form), it can 'casualise' the look of a suit. It is, of course, also the ideal way to continue to make use of a favourite jacket and waistcoat when the suit trousers have long been consigned to the recycling bin.

This thread reminds me of a photo of my own paternal grandfather which I saw a few months ago - must try and get a scan next time I'm over at my folks' place (back in the old country). It's in his driving licence from I think about the same period, and a similar look - absolutely outstanding, from what I see he was a heck of a sharp dressed back in the day (I wish he was still around now to ask about what they wore then - alas, he died in June 1980 when I was still only 5).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24