Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darcy Clothing (UK) Trousers

Edward

Bartender
To my eye, Edwardian (early 1900s-1920s). I've not tried them myself (though I do hear good things). I have, however, bought a shirt from them in the past. Very pleased with the quality and the customer service.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yep. The narrow legs and foot width are 1900-20's style.
But they are presented too long (in a modern manner) on the photo.
If you have them cuffed the appearance will improve greatly.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The cut is period correct - but these are rather "fancy" styles, inspired by collegiate fashions (extra wide waistbands and fancy belt loops).
The pale grey flanells are the best and most useable from the lot. If you want them to look a bit less novelty/fancy take down the buttoned belt loops.

Note that they should not be worn too long (like on most of the photos at the site).
The photo of the "pale grey flanell" trousers shows the correct manner: a slight break in the leg when the cuff touches the shoe.

Last edited:

Rian Ó Ruairc

New in Town
The cut is period correct - but these are rather "fancy" styles, inspired by collegiate fashions (extra wide waistbands and fancy belt loops).
The pale grey flanells are the best and most useable from the lot. If you want them to look a bit less novelty/fancy take down the buttoned belt loops.

Note that they should not be worn too long (like on most of the photos at the site).
The photo of the "pale grey flanell" trousers shows the correct manner: a slight break in the leg when the cuff touches the shoe.

In other words, they're more of a "costume" type pant? If so, I'll probably opt for the ones from Darcy.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Can't comment on the quality - whether they are costumey or suitable for everyday use.
But the "fancy" waist details are not what was typical everyday wear for the period.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
In other words, they're more of a "costume" type pant? If so, I'll probably opt for the ones from Darcy.

The way you mean it, I think, yes they are. Collegiate pants are quite out of the ordinary and they are also an expression of a short-lived fashion. If you're looking for reproduction vintage trousers in classic, normal day-to-day cuts, you might give Luxire a try. You'd have to provide the specs, though, if you want the trousers to turn out the way you want them. There is a Luxire thread here if you want to check it out. Perhaps you even find someone who can provide the measurements for a pair; I for one have 1940s high-waisted trousers in waist sizes 30" and also 44" (my dad's) on file at Luxire. Let me know if you want the specs.

The Darcy trousers are fine, only being made of cotton they won't drape. They're essentially workwear trousers.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The 'Some Like it Holy' trousers look to be a mish-mash of styles. I like the button over belt loops but they are copied from military clothing so don't really work on more formal wear. I have them on some of my trousers but they are a casual style. They also appear slightly tight on the seat, giving them the appearance of American 'collegiate pants' rather than the looser top British trousers of the period.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
I have two pairs of Darcy corduroy trousers and a pair of the black denim trousers. The quality is excellent on all three. The legs don't seem narrow at all to me, but my legs are skinny so I may not be the best judge. The fit is generous, the 32s I have fit more like 33s or more; they're roomy in both directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21