Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark line down the back of my Aero jacket

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I've had the jacket for around 5 or 6 months now, I've never hung it up. It's only been hung up once by my wife for about 10 minutes before I noticed and told her to never do that again. I always throw it on the floor, I'm just careful about how it lays down so that the two main back creases aren't where it folds. I've not really babied the jacket at all, other than being careful about the back folds. I've worn it just about every day, in rain, wind, and snow, while doing all sorts of activities. The only thing I'm cautious about is wearing it around animals with sharp claws, other than that I'm not afraid to let it get beat on by life.

The more you dump it in a random pile the quicker it will look awesome, and the quicker you will get over it.
This is how my Chevalier was laid to rest today, it is slightly damp as well. More creasing hopefully!
I would not recommend storing a jacket like this long term, but staying like that 12hours in between wear will only speed break in.
I also randomly pick it up and drop it in a different position when i pass by the couch, every little helps...

lsc2YeJ.jpg

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Vendor
My jacket is from Thurston Brothers, it arrived in the box folded in half down the center, which is where the crease is.

That's not right. A jacket should never be folded down the center and shipped. You wind up with creases that way. If you fold a leather jacket the same way you fold a long sleeve shirt, the folds will be loose and thick, and not so likely to crease when pressure is put on it during shipment. This way the jacket can pad itself and prevent hard creases from happening while in the box.
A-1 Fold.jpg

Regards,
Jay

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
That's not right. A jacket should never be folded down the center and shipped. You wind up with creases that way. If you fold a leather jacket the same way you fold a long sleeve shirt, the folds will be loose and thick, and not so likely to crease when pressure is put on it during shipment. This way the jacket can pad itself and prevent hard creases from happening while in the box.
View attachment 114075

Regards,
Jay

Hi Jay,

Our jackets are always packed exactly like you would fold a button down shirt. We even provide instructions on how to fold our fit jackets, with written steps and a photo. Aero also packs the jackets the same way...they arrive to us folded like a dress shirt. If this results in any creases, they would be temporary and would also fade among all the other creases that the jacket will acquire as it is worn.

We haven't heard from the OP directly regarding the crease and have yet to see a photo, so we can't speak to the exact nature of this particular case. I'm guessing he meant the "center" horizontally, not vertically.

Warmest regards,
Carrie
Thurston Bros.

Skyhawk

Vendor
Hello Carrie, glad to hear we are all on the same page on packing jackets. I was not implying that Thurston Bros packed it folded vertically. In fact I would have been surprised if that was the case. As you say the proper method of folding may still get some minor creasing but that usually disappears shortly with wear.

All The Best,
Jay

Mich486

One Too Many
I don’t baby my jackets at all but am I the one that finds dumping jackets on the floor a bit gross ? I leave shoes on the floor but nothing else :) my jackets are always on a hanger when at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacoat

Bartender
I've had the jacket for around 5 or 6 months now, I've never hung it up. It's only been hung up once by my wife for about 10 minutes before I noticed and told her to never do that again. I always throw it on the floor, I'm just careful about how it lays down so that the two main back creases aren't where it folds. I've not really babied the jacket at all, other than being careful about the back folds. I've worn it just about every day, in rain, wind, and snow, while doing all sorts of activities. The only thing I'm cautious about is wearing it around animals with sharp claws, other than that I'm not afraid to let it get beat on by life.
I'm cautious about being around animals with sharp claws (and teeth) with or without a jacket. If you are unintentionally around an animal with sharp claws, might better hope you have on that jacket. Better the jacket's hide than your hide.

You can hang up a leather jacket if you use those special wooden hangers that have the 2" to 3" wide shoulder flare. The Allison Kirby Hanger Project carries them https://www.hangerproject.com They are a bit pricey, but will save your leather coat. I have about 15 of that type for my peacoats. My leather jackets get no respect and are just thrown around taking care to avoid creasing by not piling on too many. Below is a picture of a quality hanger with the wide shoulder flare. There was a thread on here not too long ago, maybe a few years ago, about how to construct a good hanger for jackets out of pipe insulation.

Kirby Allison Project.jpg

I'm cautious about being around animals with sharp claws (and teeth) with or without a jacket. If you are unintentionally around an animal with sharp claws, might better hope you have on that jacket. Better the jacket's hide than your hide.

You can hang up a leather jacket if you use those special wooden hangers that have the 2" to 3" wide shoulder flare. The Allison Kirby Hanger Project carries them https://www.hangerproject.com They are a bit pricey, but will save your leather coat. I have about 15 of that type for my peacoats. My leather jackets get no respect and are just thrown around taking care to avoid creasing by not piling on too many. Below is a picture of a quality hanger with the wide shoulder flare. There was a thread on here not too long ago, maybe a few years ago, about how to construct a good hanger for jackets out of pipe insulation.

View attachment 114095
I believe a pool noodle would work as well. That's what I do.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Interesting that the OP hasn't responded so far. I can't imagine any experienced maker sending a jacket in any way that's likely to leave it creased or whatever. Mind you, I tend to treat them with a reasonable amount of disrespect: at home they get slung over a chair or behind the trouser press in the bedroom; at work, I used to jam them behind a hat stand but people kept trying to do me a favour and hang the damn things up. I've since taken to piling them on top of the lockers behind my desk.

domaineminent

New in Town
Interesting that the OP hasn't responded so far.

Interesting how? People keep making this comment and I'm confused by it, it's literally been several hours since my last post in this thread. I've been busy at work so replying any sooner has not been possible. Am I supposed to be posting more frequently? If I've done something to provoke hostility or whatever I'm sorry and I'd like to know what I've done wrong, I'm really confused by the seemingly snide comments directed my way.

I've taken pictures of the line I mentioned originally but when I choose upload a file and select the image I get an error saying the file is too large. The UI says the max size is 19mb, the file I'm uploading is around 3mb. If anyone can explain what I'm doing wrong I will get the picture uploaded ASAP.

domaineminent

New in Town
I don’t baby my jackets at all but am I the one that finds dumping jackets on the floor a bit gross ? I leave shoes on the floor but nothing else :) my jackets are always on a hanger when at home.

I have a specific area of the floor I keep it in that's clean and out of the way. I may hang it eventually but figured the first year or so of breaking it in I would treat it rough and never hang it.

domaineminent

New in Town
Hi Jay,

Our jackets are always packed exactly like you would fold a button down shirt.

Thanks Carrie, I may be misremembering how it arrived but I really thought it came folded in half down the center (along the spine). Regardless, the leather is creased down the middle of the back and has been since I received it so at some point during it's life before I received it the jacket was clearly folded there. I may ultimately bug you about this but right now I'm not sure if it's really an issue that rises to that level for me. I'm hoping to rub it down with some hot water in the next few days and see if that has any effect. I'm trying not to be overly worried about what are possibly minor things that could be resolved without creating a hassle.

Interesting how? People keep making this comment and I'm confused by it, it's literally been several hours since my last post in this thread. I've been busy at work so replying any sooner has not been possible. Am I supposed to be posting more frequently? If I've done something to provoke hostility or whatever I'm sorry and I'd like to know what I've done wrong, I'm really confused by the seemingly snide comments directed my way.

I've taken pictures of the line I mentioned originally but when I choose upload a file and select the image I get an error saying the file is too large. The UI says the max size is 19mb, the file I'm uploading is around 3mb. If anyone can explain what I'm doing wrong I will get the picture uploaded ASAP.

Don’t sweat it, I think some folks just missed your follow-up posts.

Nick123 poses a good question.

robrinay

One Too Many

I’ve found the easiest way to make the pic file size small enough to post, is to email it to myself on my phone and when the Phone asks how big? I choose ‘medium’ not ‘actual size’, then I save the emailed pic and post it.

Mich486

One Too Many
If you use Tapatalk on your phone it is as straightforward as it gets: take picture with your camera from within where you type your post and that’s it! It’ll be automatically a supported size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
When new items like this jacket are faulty or questionable, why don't the buyers make their first stop contacting the manufactures of said faulty jacket / item? Only when the questions are in the negative interest would I go to point it all out on here.
If you decide to attack your new jacket by dyeing, polishing ironing or applying any kind of lotions, how can the manufacturer decide what to do about it? In fact they don't really have to do anything do they.

Skyhawk

Vendor
Where are you located Domain? Could customs have gotten their greasy paws on it?
Good point! I had customs in the UK unpack an original WWII USN M-445 shearling and then attempted to cram it back in the box and put big rips in the jacket. The buyer showed me photos of the repack. It was a beautiful jacket and they destroyed it with no apologies.
As far as the posting photos, you can try restarting your computer. I have had 5mb files hang up and tell me they are too big. This has happened a few times. Once I restarted my computer, they posted fine with the "Upload a File" button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner