Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark line down the back of my Aero jacket

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The packing/transit fold lines are not sightly. Trust me. Especially on a new jacket; you’re playing catch-up trying to get the rest if the jacket to get its natural creases. I think I used a stack of books to try to smooth out my back panel. Never really went away (Butte’s son has the jacket now) but in time it got better; just never fully disappeared. I alerted Chris from AS about it as I was one of the first customers....he changed his packing method right after as it was confirmed to be attributed to the way it was folded. Truthfully, bugged me but not to the point of a freakout. It happens. God I miss that company.

Surprised OP has packing fold creases. I suppose it can happen but I’d assume Aero has a pretty good method of folding.
I think AVI LTHR in Denmark may be the new AS. I can let you know better in a few days when I receive my russet Bronco. Photos of the new russet just went up on their website yesterday and look pretty fine.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think AVI LTHR in Denmark may be the new AS. I can let you know better in a few days when I receive my russet Bronco. Photos of the new russet just went up on their website yesterday and look pretty fine.

Waiting for your review. Also seems like this is your first jacket in a while? Congrats too.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My experience with Aero is they CAREFULLY pack what they ship in a BIG box with lots of bubble wrap, and I have NEVER seen creasing on anything they have sent, not ever. I think I recall someone from Aero telling me verbally that some people (other than Aero) sometimes cram a return jacket in a small box, which is not good. The op failed to say exactly who sent him the jacket.

My experience with Aero is they CAREFULLY pack what they ship in a BIG box with lots of bubble wrap, and I have NEVER seen creasing on anything they have sent, not ever. I think I recall someone from Aero telling me verbally that some people (other than Aero) sometimes cram a return jacket in a small box, which is not good. The op failed to say exactly who sent him the jacket.
Indeed Fanch. That's why I often find threads like this to be under the bridge if you will. With green hair and sharp teeth.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Way back, Aero did a 'how not to' guide to packing a returned jacket and some of the examples were shocking. I remember one in which the jacket had basically been balled up, wrapped in layers of bin liner plastic and gaffer tape, some stamps stuck on it and sent off. That one arrived in such a creased state as to be unusable. Why would anyone do that?

seres

A-List Customer
Way back, Aero did a 'how not to' guide to packing a returned jacket and some of the examples were shocking. I remember one in which the jacket had basically been balled up, wrapped in layers of bin liner plastic and gaffer tape, some stamps stuck on it and sent off. That one arrived in such a creased state as to be unusable. Why would anyone do that?

It makes me wonder?

Thurston packs in an very large, flat box with plenty of packing material. I save those boxes, just in case it has to go back, or to a new home.

thor

One Too Many
AF780286-D931-4537-982F-FE48961269B0.jpeg

@Sloan1874 you are definitely not exaggerating about the way some people pack leather jackets; I recently bought a used 1990’s size 46 Schott G-1 jacket on eBay and this is how it was packed into the box! Folded up tightly and wrapped with about a mile of heavy plastic wrap.
Luckily the jacket wasn’t permanently creased because it was relatively lightweight goatskin.
I can just imagine if a person did this to a jacket made with heavy FQHH!!!:eek:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 114017
@Sloan1874 you are definitely not exaggerating about the way some people pack leather jackets; I recently bought a used 1990’s size 46 Schott G-1 jacket on eBay and this is how it was packed into the box! Folded up tightly and wrapped with about a mile of heavy plastic wrap.
Luckily the jacket wasn’t permanently creased because it was relatively lightweight goatskin.
I can just imagine if a person did this to a jacket made with heavy FQHH!!!:eek:

This blows my mind! Who would think this is a good idea? Why?

thor

One Too Many
@Carlos840 totally agree! And the funny thing is that it came in a medium sized box that didn’t require this ridiculous packing and folding and wrapping. When I first opened the box I thought someone had mailed me the Maltese Falcon!!!!

domaineminent

New in Town
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. Sorry I've not been able to reply until now, I don't visit this forum very regularly. I'll try to get some pictures posted but last time I tried the forum software wouldn't allow me, it kept complaining my pictures were too big, even though they were smaller than the size limit. I'll try again when I have a chance. My jacket is from Thurston Brothers, it arrived in the box folded in half down the center, which is where the crease is. I'm not super bothered by it, other than feeling like it looks a bit silly. It's much less dark than the picture someone else posted, and more of a straight line. I also have some pretty significant creasing going the other direction from sitting in the jacket. I've been trying to reduce those creases also by being careful about how I lay down the jacket when I'm not wearing it, and being mindful of how the back is folding when I'm sitting. I figure that with enough time more folds will form so that the jacket isn't always folding in the exact same place and reinforcing the main fold. I'll see if wiping down the fold going up and down the back with warm water helps at all, that seems minimally invasive. For the record, I do love my jacket, I just have a few different concerns with it that I'm trying to either stop worrying about or get resolved.

domaineminent

New in Town
I've had the jacket for around 5 or 6 months now, I've never hung it up. It's only been hung up once by my wife for about 10 minutes before I noticed and told her to never do that again. I always throw it on the floor, I'm just careful about how it lays down so that the two main back creases aren't where it folds. I've not really babied the jacket at all, other than being careful about the back folds. I've worn it just about every day, in rain, wind, and snow, while doing all sorts of activities. The only thing I'm cautious about is wearing it around animals with sharp claws, other than that I'm not afraid to let it get beat on by life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner