Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark line down the back of my Aero jacket

Skyhawk

Vendor
Where are you located Domain? Could customs have gotten their greasy paws on it?
Good point! I had customs in the UK unpack an original WWII USN M-445 shearling and then attempted to cram it back in the box and put big rips in the jacket. The buyer showed me photos of the repack. It was a beautiful jacket and they destroyed it with no apologies.
As far as the posting photos, you can try restarting your computer. I have had 5mb files hang up and tell me they are too big. This has happened a few times. Once I restarted my computer, they posted fine with the "Upload a File" button.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Interesting how? People keep making this comment and I'm confused by it, it's literally been several hours since my last post in this thread. I've been busy at work so replying any sooner has not been possible. Am I supposed to be posting more frequently? If I've done something to provoke hostility or whatever I'm sorry and I'd like to know what I've done wrong, I'm really confused by the seemingly snide comments directed my way.

I've taken pictures of the line I mentioned originally but when I choose upload a file and select the image I get an error saying the file is too large. The UI says the max size is 19mb, the file I'm uploading is around 3mb. If anyone can explain what I'm doing wrong I will get the picture uploaded ASAP.
Welcome to TFL...........

domaineminent

New in Town
When new items like this jacket are faulty or questionable, why don't the buyers make their first stop contacting the manufactures of said faulty jacket / item? Only when the questions are in the negative interest would I go to point it all out on here.
If you decide to attack your new jacket by dyeing, polishing ironing or applying any kind of lotions, how can the manufacturer decide what to do about it? In fact they don't really have to do anything do they.

I asked here because I wanted information/advice from people with knowledge and experience. I haven't asked Aero or Thurston yet because it isn't clear to me that this is actually a problem and I don't want to be a bother over something potentially minor that I can solve myself. I'm aware they don't have to do anything so I'm trying to figure out what I can do.

domaineminent

New in Town
Where are you located Domain? Could customs have gotten their greasy paws on it?
US. It's definitely possible customs got to it, they seem to open a lot of my international packages. I think it passed through Thurston before arriving at my place though, not sure whether they repackage jackets though or just ship the original box onwards.

Interesting how? People keep making this comment and I'm confused by it, it's literally been several hours since my last post in this thread. I've been busy at work so replying any sooner has not been possible. Am I supposed to be posting more frequently? If I've done something to provoke hostility or whatever I'm sorry and I'd like to know what I've done wrong, I'm really confused by the seemingly snide comments directed my way.

I've taken pictures of the line I mentioned originally but when I choose upload a file and select the image I get an error saying the file is too large. The UI says the max size is 19mb, the file I'm uploading is around 3mb. If anyone can explain what I'm doing wrong I will get the picture uploaded ASAP.
I think, at least from my point of view, an issue like this should first be brought up with the retailer (Thurston Bros. in this case). Let them have a look and contact Aero if necessary. I've seen threads like this start and go nowhere, which makes me believe they are nothing but troll fodder. You may well have a legitimate issue but the only people that can and will actually help you are Thurston Bros./Aero. If you can't get satisfaction through them I can see posting that here. Given you haven't done that yet it's a bit odd to seek advice on this forum b/c some of these actions could have an adverse effect on the jacket and render any hope for satisfaction from the retailer null and void...
Not trying to be a dick but if this is a legitimate concern you need to bring it up directly with Thurston Bros.

domaineminent

New in Town
I'm not sure how well this picture will look after being downsized to upload here but it should give you an idea of the line I'm talking about. If it's not good enough I'll see if I can take a better shot or get a higher res version to upload. Something else about the crease I didn't mention previously is that the cotton drill lining also has a very sharp crease in it running along the inside of the jacket exactly parallel to the outer leather crease. Based off how sharp the internal crease is in the cotton it almost seems like it was ironed or had a significant amount of weight left on it, it's a very distinct crease that I originally thought was a seam in the lining where two halves had been joined down the center. I can try to get a picture of that as well if anyone is interested.
20180411_192135 (1) - Copy.gif

domaineminent

New in Town
I think, at least from my point of view, an issue like this should first be brought up with the retailer (Thurston Bros. in this case). Let them have a look and contact Aero if necessary. I've seen threads like this start and go nowhere, which makes me believe they are nothing but troll fodder. You may well have a legitimate issue but the only people that can and will actually help you are Thurston Bros./Aero. If you can't get satisfaction through them I can see posting that here. Given you haven't done that yet it's a bit odd to seek advice on this forum b/c some of these actions could have an adverse effect on the jacket and render any hope for satisfaction from the retailer null and void...
Not trying to be a dick but if this is a legitimate concern you need to bring it up directly with Thurston Bros.

I guess I come at things like this from a different perspective. I don't see any point in bothering a retailer about something unless I know it's a legitimate issue. I am concerned that this crease in my jacket has not gone away at all as the jacket has broken in over the past several months, but I do not yet know whether this is a legitimate issue that I should be concerned with. Hence me posting here where a bunch of people who have owned a lot of different jackets could hopefully give me some advice on what's going on with my jacket. Through various jobs I've had over the years I've had a lot of experience with customers who are bothersome about issues that are either not actual issues or that they could have resolved themselves if they just put in a little effort, so I always try to put in the effort before being potentially bothersome. Additionally, I've had a lot of very shitty experiences with retailers over the years, so if I do have a legit issue I like to fully understand that issue and what the best course of action is before I take it up with the retailer directly. I've been bullshitted way too many times to take any retailer at their word and if I have a problem with something I like to be completely confident in my assessment of that problem.

I see a horizontal crease (across the shoulders) more visibly than a vertical one...I'm surprised something like that hasn't been diminished/disappeared through normal wear.

ksozay

One Too Many
My .02.

That you posted your concern here, leads me to believe YOU have an issue with the crease. Certainly, you are right to seek validation on whether this is a legitimate issue or just something that will go away in time. Ultimately, it's your jacket and my/others opinions will not reimburse you the cost of your investment in that jacket.

I agree with Ton (and also understand your consideration for doing your due diligence before bringing this to the retailer), at the end of the day, what YOU think is the only opinion that matters. If there is something bothering you with the jacket, talk with Carrie at Thurs and/or Aero. Give them a chance to hear your side and see what they recommend. As long as you have reasonable expectations, your investment in this jacket should be something that brings you satisfaction.

Best of luck. I think it's worth a message to TB/Aero.

domaineminent

New in Town
My .02.

That you posted your concern here, leads me to believe YOU have an issue with the crease. Certainly, you are right to seek validation on whether this is a legitimate issue or just something that will go away in time. Ultimately, it's your jacket and my/others opinions will not reimburse you the cost of your investment in that jacket.

I agree with Ton (and also understand your consideration for doing your due diligence before bringing this to the retailer), at the end of the day, what YOU think is the only opinion that matters. If there is something bothering you with the jacket, talk with Carrie at Thurs and/or Aero. Give them a chance to hear your side and see what they recommend. As long as you have reasonable expectations, your investment in this jacket should be something that brings you satisfaction.

Best of luck. I think it's worth a message to TB/Aero.

Thanks. My only real issue is that I think it looks kind of silly to have this very noticeable line running up my back. I'm totally fine putting up with it for awhile if it's something that will go away naturally with wear. I'm definitely going to try the least invasive approach of rubbing it down with hot water. I'm debating whether I should try steaming it as some have suggested, I think that's something I'll run by Carrie first before attempting because it seems potentially dangerous. I am very satisfied with the jacket otherwise, the fit is basically perfect. I do wish the leather was a bit more consistent (some parts are noticeably thinner than others, or have a distinctly different texture), but after worrying over that for a bit I've come to accept it as something that adds character to the jacket and doesn't seem to pose any risk (i.e. I don't think the thinner parts are so thin as to potentially compromise the jacket). This line down the back wasn't something I initially had any concerns about because I expected normal wear would have diminished it by now. After looking at it nearly every day for months and noticing it was not changing at all and was still very noticeable I decided to come here and look for more opinions on whether it was a legit concern. I'd really hate to have another jacket made, I've already made a lot of great memories in this jacket and love it so replacing it is something I'd really rather avoid. That said, if this crease line is permanent and not considered "normal" (i.e. if this is actually damage from the jacket being mistreated before I received it) then I guess getting it replaced is really the only option.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the pics. Yes, something went haywire with it being folded incorrectly. Looks just as mine did. I think you can discard Aero or Thurston doing it as they are particular about how they package their product but perhaps they can be of assistance. I’m sure they’ve seen it before. Just get one more heavy crease on it and it’ll look less glaring. And it WILL happen in due time. Could have been the postman but that is irrelevant now. If it was mine I’d be displeased but confident in the wonders of time on a jacket’s look. It’ll work out!

Peacoat

Bartender
I have received jackets from both Aero and Carrie. They both are experienced packers and know how to put a jacket in a box without damaging it. But the line is there. I think the question should be, how did it get there? Quite frankly, though, it wouldn't bother me enough to worry about it. But it is your jacket, and your opinion is the only one that matters.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Rather odd, though I've inflicted creases/marks on my jackets and simple heavy wear saw them disappear over time. Wearing a jacket while driving's a great way to break a jacket in.

Peacoat

Bartender
Rather odd, though I've inflicted creases/marks on my jackets and simple heavy wear saw them disappear over time. Wearing a jacket while driving's a great way to break a jacket in.
Yes, especially if a lot of turning of the steering wheel is required. It is the method John Chapman recommends.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My two jackets from Aero arrived in really huge boxes which I believe it is to avoid as many creases as possible.

Really can’t find any fault with the way they package and send stuff around. However, unless they’d send jackets laying flat in even bigger boxes (absurd) I think some crease here and there is unavoidable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I asked here because I wanted information/advice from people with knowledge and experience. I haven't asked Aero or Thurston yet because it isn't clear to me that this is actually a problem and I don't want to be a bother over something potentially minor that I can solve myself. I'm aware they don't have to do anything so I'm trying to figure out what I can do.
To be honest mate, Aero as well as all the other companies, have despatched and received so much stuff in their lifetime they are probably far more knowledgeable than most folks on here about quality control and postal damage so would still be my first choice for advice. Should they then say the damage marks were or not from their end then you can decide if it is a keep it as it is , go for postal compensation, send it back or ask here or a similar site what to do.
I do believe Aero even have a page on their site dedicated to how to pack a return.
If you have received things in the post from eBay for example, many folks skimp on packaging to save themselves a little money so use the smallest package and the least tape etc etc they can.

domaineminent

New in Town
20180413_130336.gif

This is the lining crease I originally thought was a seam but is actually the result of the folding that put the line in the back leather of my jacket. I figured I'd post it so people could better understand the extent of the crease. The lining is cotton drill, it's actually black but the lighting in the picture isn't the best so it looks more brown.

Kuro

Practically Family
I can offer no suggestion on how to fix this yourself... But I will say that the true experts are the people who made it. I understand from reading your posts that you have a trust issue with retail sellers, however, why not get their opinion on this as well? For comparison sake? That is my suggestion, as many others also suggested.

Just as a side comment, that does not look like a shipping issue, because you have two creases in the leather from your pictures. One crease is a vertical crease seen both internal and external, but does not go from collar to hem, as in a jacket folded in half vertically. However there is also a horizontal crease, in both pictures external and internal starting where the vertical crease ends. I do not see how it is possible to fold a jacket like that. So I believe the problem is something else other than a shipping issue.

I could also be viewing the pictures incorrectly, but I do not see a vertical crease running from collar to hem, so I still do not see how that could have been done in shipping.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner