Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Date this Tuxedo?

sproily

Practically Family
Can you tell what material the lining is? Is it silk? Is it fully lined in the same material?

I've seen that kind of pointy lapels on 30's tuxes so it wouldn't be news to me..

sproily

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

Those very pointy, satin (not grosgrain)-covered lapels were popular from the very late 1920s to the very early 1930s. My (strong) guess is that the tuxedo is from 1929 or so.

^ This man knows! :eusa_clap

I'm pissed that I didn't buy a tux similar to that at a thrift shop.. it was size 44 and was 4€ :mad: :mad:

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
Overcast today (tomorrow, and next week), so photographing black is so much more fun. Here's the best I could do:

4381796549_e29da0ef55.jpg

4382554932_4c6fe02804.jpg

Sleeves are cotton, front and shoulders are silk. It is not petaled at the shoulders, it goes straight across.

So, 20's? Hopefully?

Thanks again,

Sandi

sproily

Practically Family
If I'm seeing right it has whats called skeleton lining.

It's a good sign of old clothing, namely that age you're looking for; late 20's early 30's.

anon`

One Too Many
I'm with Marc and sproily on this one. Seems that most of the tuxedo jackets I've seen with definitive dates in the late '20s/early '30s have that style of lining (as opposed to petal lining). No idea why, but it seems to have been the thing back then.

sproily

Practically Family
I suppose it wasn't needed that much in the back. Most of the wear on the fabric goes to the arms and the button area.

I think it ventilates a bit also.

anon`

One Too Many
Lack of vents--at least in the US--was the rule, rather than the exception. But likewise, petal lining was the rule rather than the exception as well. I have no idea why tuxedos of the period were usually lined like this, when virtually all other jackets of the period had petal lining.

But they were! [huh]

Artie

Suspended
This look familiar? This one as you can see has the same labels and is positively dated to 1941. the picture of the jacket came out a little weird but you get the idea. interesting thing about this jacket is it's fully lined.
tuxedo41002.jpg

tuxedo41005.jpg

tuxedo41004.jpg

sproily

Practically Family
anon` said:
Lack of vents--at least in the US--was the rule, rather than the exception. But likewise, petal lining was the rule rather than the exception as well. I have no idea why tuxedos of the period were usually lined like this, when virtually all other jackets of the period had petal lining.

But they were! [huh]

Is that right? I've seen many sports coats with skeleton lining, not just tuxedos.

anon`

One Too Many
sproily said:
Is that right? I've seen many sports coats with skeleton lining, not just tuxedos.
Well, with the usual preface (you know, the one that starts with "in my experience..."), the typical standard in the US seems to have been petal lining in suits & sport coats until some nonspecific point in... I dunno, the late '50s or early '60s, when the skeleton lining becomes common. Tuxedos of that same era, again in my experience, seem to have had skeleton linings instead of petal.

I'm sure this is far from a hard and fast rule, but it seems to hold true more often that not. I haven't the faintest clue why. It seems to be a more or less American affectation, as well?

sproily

Practically Family
I think the comment came off wrong. Didn't mean to be rude.

All I'm saying is that I've seen that sort of lining in period sports jackets that are usually meant for golf and other activities that are to do with perspirating and which very often also have belted backs.

Might also be not only the task of the jacket but what quality it was.. I mean.. somehow leaving the back bare against the cloth sounds a lot like rationing to me lol

Anyway, I'm sure you're right. And I don't have that much first hand experience with American apparel anyway.

edit. You guys are lucky that you have those union tags in your clothes.. We don't have any of that stuff to date from. Just mere knowledge.

sproily

Practically Family
I'm not particularly knowing of this term either but I believe it means full lining?

Otherwise it would be just lining the seams. Don't know a term for that though..

btw anon`, very nordic music tastes you have ;)

anon`

One Too Many
sproily said:
btw anon`, very nordic music tastes you have ;)
Haha, thanks! Europe is so bloody far ahead of the States where good music is concerned. Especially you Finns ;)

As for the term "petal lining", I've always heard it used in connection with that style that covers the shoulder blades and rises up to meet in the back of the coat, at the neck, usually in an overlap (as opposed to the sort of half-lining that covers the entire upper back). I honestly dunno if it's right, but I've taken to using it and, until today, nobody's asked what the heck I meant by it :)

Apologies if I'm using bad terminology here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner