Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dateline: October 26, 1921

Tourbillion

Practically Family
From the Los Angeles Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-a2anniversary26oct26,1,4365870.story

1921: Couple Guilty of Peabody Prance, Lewd N.Y. Dance Fad
October 26, 2006

Oct. 26, 1921: A New York dance called the Peabody Prance showed up in Long Beach, and The Times declared the city "rudely shocked" by the steps and by the "pantaloons" worn by the woman seen performing them.

"So startled was Policewoman Straw when she witnessed the initial and unheralded exhibition of the Gotham terpsichorean craze in a local dance hall that she arrested the couple performing the maneuvers and caused them to be booked at the police station on a charge of violating the local dancing ordinance," the newspaper said.

The Times described the dance as "a sort of renovated tango" and said "it attracted much notice," as did the pantaloons, which "were bright green … and hung down low — perilously low — avers the policewoman. Besides, they had ruffles and were the subject of much comment by the men."

Three days later, a judge found the dancers, a married couple, guilty of violating the ordinance because the male dancer "clutched his wife by the hip, instead of keeping his hand above her waistline," The Times reported.

They'd arrest just about everyone these days for lewdness, even the swing dancers. I wonder if that one is still on the books. If so, we'll have to watch out on the Queen Mary.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
At least we know now kids aren't arrested for such playness as dancing. They're arrested for MUCH worse cases. I'd be in jail many times by now ;)

and hopefully Long Beach doesn't go back to it's native laws next month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner