Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating: Do's and Dont's (1949)

JennyLou

Practically Family
Brooksie said:
:eek:fftopic: Ha Ha - boy do I ever know that Gemeni's like to argue... I was raised by two of them (both my mom and dad are Gemeni's) so on top of being a cancer I also have a lot of Gemeni in my personality because of that.

Brooksie
Ha, my twin and I are both gemeni and we aregue a lot, with each other and I with my boy friends, and all were scorpios.

It's a lot of fun meeting people online, but it's awkward sometimes when you meet in person. Being online gives you a chance to think about what you're going to say and organize it in a way that is more well-thought out. You lose that ability once you're face to face.

Arguing is fun so long as you don't cross the line. I prefer to call it 'discussing'. I love being able to have a discussion with somebody who's very intelligent, it's no fun with people that just have no clue what you're talking about so they take what you say as the gospel and contribute nothing of their own.

Lady Jessica said:
I like connecting on the internet (I get nervous when I post for the first time, though), but meeting the internet people in real life just... ugh, I'm a mess. I can't even converse with them. I plan on going to an event, so... I hope I don't stand there all blushy and not saying anything. That would be embarrassing.

I tend to like the imperfect guys. Probably because perfect guys want perfect girls and that's too much stress for me. I like a guy that won't be afraid to argue with me. I like to argue. I guess that's from being a Gemini. :p

I love the downtown Disney idea. Very cute!

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I like to debate, i used to do it in some of my classes... but the other students would just repeat the same things over, and so I stopped after a while. 'I think we should build a train' 'but how would people get around?' 'By the train' 'But how would people get around?'

Oi.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Lady Jessica said:
I like to debate, i used to do it in some of my classes... but the other students would just repeat the same things over, and so I stopped after a while. 'I think we should build a train' 'but how would people get around?' 'By the train' 'But how would people get around?'

Oi.

Debating is an art, you gotta think outside the box. Witty, and a tongue you could cut glass with, not flesh tho. Oy?

donCarlos

Practically Family
avedwards said:
The idea of a map is good, but personally I'd say leave it. IMO a good date doesn't need to be planned precisely but you should just take it as it comes. So knowing good restaurants is good, but don't plan when to go where.
You mean I should give up an absolute order in everything I do? That would ruin my world! lol It´s even worse than number of cutlery not corresponding to number of courses!

(of course I´m more flexible, but the map is great for the general idea. There´s nothing worse than the "so what are we gonna do now?" point. There´s always something to do in 15 minutes walking distance, it´s all about knowing it)

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
GranadaGuy617 said:
Debating is an art, you gotta think outside the box. Witty, and a tongue you could cut glass with, not flesh tho. Oy?

Yes oi, I dislike it when people can't debate well and instead just say the same things over and over again. If you're going to oppose me, please at least know what we're talking about. Although ignorance is fine, as long as you're willing to learn, I think.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
You spell it the limey way!!! ..oy. Yes I agree...close mindedness is ignorance, but such is life. Its a choice people make with themselves. And it takes the fun out of a good debate, because both sides learn something I guarantee it.

Djupis

One of the Regulars
Debates can be very good fun, except when they pull out completely unfounded remarks or ideas with no basis in this world (let's build monorails across the atlantic connecting to every European capital, at no cost for the user, to stall the emissions from trans-atlantic flights [huh] )

JennyLou said:
Ha, my twin and I are both gemeni and we aregue a lot, with each other and I with my boy friends, and all were scorpios.
JennyLou, that's some of the problem: Gemini and Scorpio tend to see that "opposites attract" thing at first, but fundamental differences tend to lead to clashes unless both sides are either very lucky or so deeply committed to each other as to look past those conflicts...

I'm a Gemini myself, with the argumentative streak and even the split-personality of "The Twins" (although it was deliberately amplified through a lot of experimental psych work, it's a long story.)

Sorta like the Chinese Zodiac, it's all based on cycles of 12 (months or years), and supposedly the best matches are at 0-, 4-, and 8-step increments in those cycles. If you believe in such things... and there's too much pattern for there to not have been some factual origin even if it amy have been garbled in transfer across generations.

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - The Shark Cage Fugue
via FoxyTunes

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I don't wish to offend anyone who believes in the zodiac, but as someone who studied atronomy for one year I do have the opinion that all the star symbols are nothing more than pure chance, as the only reason they exist in the first place is due to these stars being closer and therefore appearing brighter. If we could see all the stars which are actually in the sky there would be so many that we wouldn't be able to tell the patterns in them. Therefore, IMO they shouldn't affect whether or not you get on with someone else, so you should pick your date on personality and not whether they were born in the same zodiac.

Just my opinion of course which is based on science and logic (my logic, not everyone else's) and as I said, don't take offense if you believe in the star symbols.

Edward

Bartender
I've always considered astrology to be a complete load of idiotic rubbisy - which is typical of me, as a virgo.

;)

What drives me bonkers is when you try to discuss a point and someone just yells over you "No, you're wrong" over and over trying to make you give up. When I was in high school, I got kicked out of class for decking a guy for doing that.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Interesting video...

...but what struck me is that adults put something like that together it the first place.

Used to be little books, pamphlets, and all sorts of guidance and advice produced and distributed. I guess with the 1960s, and "don't trust anyone over 30", the notion of actually listening to advice became passé.

I remember a little book we got on manners as a cadet. I wonder if they still print it.

balgal

New in Town
Originally posted by: AtomicEraTom
What drives me bonkers is when you try to discuss a point and someone just yells over you "No, you're wrong" over and over trying to make you give up. When I was in high school, I got kicked out of class for decking a guy for doing that.

That is not fair. But in this society people aren't fair. And depending on the situation at hand you never, never under a shadow of a doubt never tell someone that they are wrong, even of course if they really are wrong. It's called save face.

This is just my opinion don't take offense of this. Just putting my two cents in.

Jack R.

New in Town
I used to debate with this guy every day at school. I'd sit down, get out my book, and we'd start. The teacher had us change seats so we'd be closer to his desk so he could hear what was happening. He would start us off some times. The last couple of week or so the rest of the class got into it too. They'd break in when there was a lull in the conversation debate with one another. It was great.

Edward

Bartender
Diamondback said:
What's the old saying about "raising your voice, when you should reinforce your [pathetically weak] argument"? Describes such people to a "T"...

We lawyers have a saying:

If your case is weak on the facts, but strong on the law, pound the law. If your case is weak on the law, but strong on the facts, pound the facts. If your case is weak on the law and weak on the facts, pound the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay