Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Etiquette

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Dear Fellow loungers,

Thank you so much for your support, that really means a lot to me! You guys wanted an update about our second date; well, here goes: She is a lovely person with a really nice character. She will stay my friend - but that's it. We are way to different to make it work.
It was a lovely evening and we had a lot of fun; we will leave it at that.

Well, there will be other opportunities, I guess...

Edward

Bartender
It was the early 90s and I was alone in the lobby of a NYC hotel waiting on an elevator. Just as the elevator doors opened and I began to step in I noticed out of the corner of my eye two people moving swiftly across the lobby towards me. I assumed that they wanted to catch a ride up so I stepped back to hold the elevator door open. They were two women, one middle aged and one in her early twenties. The older woman had a beaming smile and thanked me for holding the car, while the younger woman barely acknowledge the gesture. When they exited the car the older woman thanked me again. She was Gloria Steinem.

Excellent. As it should be.

Henry, sounds like things workedout just fine. I've always preferred that sort of situation to figuring out there are irreconcilable differences further down the track, by which point friendship isn't likely to be an option.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Henry, sounds like things workedout just fine. I've always preferred that sort of situation to figuring out there are irreconcilable differences further down the track, by which point friendship isn't likely to be an option.

Well said - It usually gets replaced with animosity, which isn't healthy for either person.

amador

A-List Customer
I hope this thread isn't abandonded. To add a vintage air I though I would present a story my mother used to tell.
In her youth it was improper to even speak to a boy she was interested in chaparones were required for all dating or courting. Virginity was almost a comodity. One place young people could meet was at church. Catholic church in her case. If she wanted to be close enough to whisper to a boy she was interested in she would tell a friend that she would be praying at the altar at a specific time. The message would be passed along. If the boy was interested he would join her in "prayer" and they would be able to whisper to each other. Wearing a flower or a hair ornament over one ear or the other signaled availability or commitment.
One year after my dad died, that was the standard mourning period, she took up this practice and men of her own age were able to read the signals and that is how she started dating again.
Any vintage dating stories from parents and grandparents?

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I hope this thread isn't abandonded. To add a vintage air I though I would present a story my mother used to tell.
In her youth it was improper to even speak to a boy she was interested in chaparones were required for all dating or courting. Virginity was almost a comodity. One place young people could meet was at church. Catholic church in her case. If she wanted to be close enough to whisper to a boy she was interested in she would tell a friend that she would be praying at the altar at a specific time. The message would be passed along. If the boy was interested he would join her in "prayer" and they would be able to whisper to each other. Wearing a flower or a hair ornament over one ear or the other signaled availability or commitment.
One year after my dad died, that was the standard mourning period, she took up this practice and men of her own age were able to read the signals and that is how she started dating again.

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

I recall a story of my grandparents living in opposing houses when growing up in the 30s and 40s, and hating each other so much they threw shoes across the street at each other. Somehow it worked out, because in 1947 they were married! :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That's cute, C-dot!

My grandparents were both in an orphanage together, along with their respective siblings and were pretty much inseperable until the day my Grandpa died.

They didn't marry until just after the war, as my Grandpa was interned as a POW, but he did tell me he fell in love with her at first sight, when they both in their early teens. He spent his demob money on buying an engagement ring and apparently rushed round to see her and got down on one knee, to do the job properly, as he said. Even though they had been engaged formally for some years anyway.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
My wife is a gracious lady who deserves to be treated as one. 27 years and she still tolerates me. As far as today's dating, my niece met a guy while at college and brought him to meet us. She told him her uncle was old fashioned and had a lot of guns!
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner