Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating for Fedora Loungers?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
JazzyDame said:
Blast! Can't we just start a Fedora Colony or something? We'd most certainly be in the very best of company if we did. ;)

Have you seen the "Our Own Vintage Town" thread? It's right along this vein of thinking and really quite a hoot! ;)

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
Joie DeVive said:
Have you seen the "Our Own Vintage Town" thread? It's right along this vein of thinking and really quite a hoot! ;)

Thank you, Joie DeVive--I'll definitely look into that! Seriously, we should consider forming our own colony or village or something...:)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
It always comes down to snow or no snow. Never the twain shall meet. lol

lol True!

I'm trying to remember, did they finally settle on one town for snow, and a second for no snow? Or was it one town where it could snow one day a year...? lol

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
apparently i'm one of the 20% of the population they cannot match with anyone and i'm sure thats purely ndown to my antireligious stance.

Not entirely true, but a valid point. My brother (a Christian) signed up for it and got rejected, but he is quite eccentric. I think that its a very middle-of-the-road dating site for a safe bet. Guys who like sports, girls who like shopping, and both share 'wholesome family values', that type of thing. In other words, a bit dull (no offense to anyone who has used it successfully though!).

Professor

A-List Customer
johnnyelvis said:
So where does everyone find their opposite nostalgia lovers?
I met one at the Cicada Club in Los Angeles...don't think I'd do that again though. I now prefer meeting people outside of the "scene." Would be nice to know where else to look though, for someone of similar mindset. It can be disappointing when a woman just doesn't "get it," but that's still a better predicament than what I had with a "vintage" woman.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Livejournal, of all places, 6 years ago. We were both heavily into indie/emo and dressed the part too. I have always been into vintage cars and motorcycles thanks to my dad, and became a fan of tube amps, radios, projectors and the like when I was a child as well, and started buying my own kit when I was about 16.

My wife fell in love with vintage clothes, then once we got married and I moved to London, I got the clothes bug too and now fiercely collect it. The vintage music addiction came along when we took jiving lessons with Maddys Jiving School in Richmond. We highly recommend them!

We regularly attend the clubs in the city and go out as much as we can. We both wear vintage outside of work (and sometimes I wear vintage on the weekends at work).

Easy!

This photo of us was posted in the What Are You Wearing thread as well. Taken in Detroit, May 2010.

31774_683713161438_25706837_36583908_5021136_n.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
repeatclicks said:
Not entirely true, but a valid point. My brother (a Christian) signed up for it and got rejected, but he is quite eccentric. I think that its a very middle-of-the-road dating site for a safe bet. Guys who like sports, girls who like shopping, and both share 'wholesome family values', that type of thing. In other words, a bit dull (no offense to anyone who has used it successfully though!).

I tried e-harmony some time ago and didn't like it. My experience in a nutshell:

You set your preferences, and then they ignore them. You say you want someone between 35 and 45 in your metro area and they hook you up with a father of three little kids in Manitoba, a bunch of 50-year-olds across the country, a whole bunch of scary-looking IT guys, and a dude with photos of himself in chain mail who says one of the things he can't do without is AA. You can't make up stuff like this.

My big brother knew what he was talking about. Just stay single.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I met my wife on my first day at college - whilest wearing my pith helmet. It took me four years to win her over, but we've been happily married since September of '05.

She's not precisely vintage, but neither am I. She definitely loves vintage aprons and '50s houswife dresses, and doesn't begrudge me driving a 50-year-old car every day.

I got lucky, folks.

-Dave

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Paisley said:
My big brother knew what he was talking about. Just stay single.

I have to say, that for myself, I could never be single. I'm married, and quite happily! But what works for one, may not work for the other.

We are very independent people (what else would you expect from a 5 year trans-atlantic relationship where you saw each other every 3-6 months?), but love being around each other. Ive found marriage to be exciting and challenging, but I'll always love coming home knowing my wife is there, and that we share the same interests, meaning we can sit on ebay and drool at the expensive 50s furniture, collect records together, and of course dance and wear vintage stuff.

It will always be hard, however, knowing that whether we live in the UK or the US, one of us will be without our family nearby...

YETI

A-List Customer
repeatclicks said:
Livejournal, of all places, 6 years ago. We were both heavily into indie/emo and dressed the part too. I have always been into vintage cars and motorcycles thanks to my dad, and became a fan of tube amps, radios, projectors and the like when I was a child as well, and started buying my own kit when I was about 16.

My wife fell in love with vintage clothes, then once we got married and I moved to London, I got the clothes bug too and now fiercely collect it. The vintage music addiction came along when we took jiving lessons with Maddys Jiving School in Richmond. We highly recommend them!

We regularly attend the clubs in the city and go out as much as we can. We both wear vintage outside of work (and sometimes I wear vintage on the weekends at work).

Easy!

This photo of us was posted in the What Are You Wearing thread as well. Taken in Detroit, May 2010.

31774_683713161438_25706837_36583908_5021136_n.jpg
After reading your post, there may be hope for these 'hipsters' :rolleyes: that have infested my neck of the woods. Btw, you 2 are lookin' sharp.

Chainsaw

Suspended
JazzyDame said:
Blast! Can't we just start a Fedora Colony or something? We'd most certainly be in the very best of company if we did. ;)

That sounds good, maybe a village is a better idea. Or a Island, or maybe a farm, that's like a island, but surrounded by fields instead of water. We should grow our own food, chop our own wood, write books, and maybe read them if we have time.

The men would always wear tasteful wool slacks, no matter the temperature. The women would wear tasteful summer dresses. The water from the well, would be sweeter than any wine we could make.

We would curse God for this feeling of excommunication, and thank the fates that we have our circle.

We wouldn't speak to outsiders except to say thank you to the fed ex guy for dropping off our new hat's

Happiness would always be around the corner.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
johnnyelvis said:
I notice a lot of girls nowadays have a ton of tattoos too. I hang out in a lot of rockabilly type bars/clubs and this is so common, kind of a bummer IMO what do you think of the tatted up girl thing? I would love to have me a nice vintage girl haha

Ok I don't know if you wanted a girls opinion but I am gunna give it. I consider myself a nice vintage girl, and I have one tattoo, and another on the way at the start of August. However the current one is on my upper thigh even when i wear modern shorts (the really short kinds) you can't see it (the new one is going to be in the same spot on the other leg) . So really the only time the public sees them is when I am in a swim suit. Or well if I am like hey look at my pretty leg. But my one tattoo and the one on the way both have very important meanings to me.Perhaps you should ask ladies to explain why they have their art and you might find that it isn't as much of a bummer once you know what it means. My boyfriend was a bit bummed when I got my first one but when I explained to him what the tattoo meant and he really loved it. I don't know I guess it doesn't bother me. It has never really been taboo for men to have tattoos and I find that I think us ladies are enjoying the fact that it is socially acceptable to have them now. But like many have said before me it is a matter of aesthetic preference, I for one find tattoos fascinating, but I also understand why they aren't for some people. Wow sorry that was a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points