Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide

Discussion in 'Hats' started by jimmy the lid, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Weatherman

Weatherman New in Town

There used to be a thread on this forum that specifically dated vintage Stetsons. I used it extensively a few years ago, but the link doesn't work anymore. Where is it now?

2. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

3. Weatherman

Weatherman New in Town

Redfokker likes this.
  4. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Redfokker and Frunobulax like this.
  5. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

I’ve seen very few hats through the years with this liner

to be perfectly honest I’ve seen 3

Alan owns one...this one... and one other that the collector I bought this one from still owns.

This particular hat is an early 1940s piece... I don’t think this liner was very long lived... I’ll be bold and guess mid 30s to early 40s

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

My favorite Stetson liner. I hope to someday have one like it hovering an inch or so above my head.

7. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I know this isn’t a vintage hat, but in my admittedly limited experience I’ve never seen a liner like this. The size tag makes me think it was made for the UK market but that’s just a guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

It looks very much like an American Quarter Horse Association edition. I've seen one from a stable, but I forget where. It had the same blue liner and grey sweat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

4888311B-C182-47B8-A22F-BA2CA001B2BD.jpeg D8B8BDBD-D3B4-40C1-982A-B3B0FE0980B1.jpeg AE9BC9B6-B741-4FD9-BD77-7949BC82452F.jpeg 48A92117-AB08-41CA-97C6-EB854908903C.jpeg AC5093A2-F29C-4C27-A708-CFDED4C685C4.jpeg Greetings All:
    Since this threads about IDing Stetsons by lining...i got one for the experts. I put this out once before somewhere to no avail but i’d really really like to know who can tell me what about this hat cause it’s extremely nice and i believe quite old.
    It had no sweatband, interesting chalk writing inside and the liner is still partially stitched. I’ve only seen this liner once before somewhere??
    So...help old Bo out!! Thanks all.

10. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

Man, hats without their sweats look nasty...a beauty otherwise, indeed it looks pretty old.

Here's this crisp liner on a Stetson I just bought. Can anyone pinpoint it to a specific bracket of years?
    [​IMG]

11. Rockwater

Rockwater A-List Customer

From what I read, ‘50 or a few years prior. Stars in the logo and side seam liner.

12. deadlyhandsome

The “7 5/8 62” size tag is confusing. In US sizing 7 5/8 is 61 cm but in UK sizing it’s 62 cm. This made me wonder if it was a hat made for the export market.

I like the liner and sweat, but I’m not in the market for another black hat.

Redfokker, M Hatman and Desert dog like this.
  13. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

Interesting, I like the liner and sweat too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Redfokker likes this.
  14. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

Wow, wonderful hat. Did you get any answers?

15. AbbaDatDeHat

Nope. Thanks for asking.
    B

16. AbbaDatDeHat

Bump

17. VintageEveryday

VintageEveryday A-List Customer

(unfortunately I had to remove the lining and sweatband as they were falling out) maybe '50s? $15, originally 20180909_225947.jpg 20180909_225958.jpg 20180909_230033.jpg 20180909_230047.jpg 20180909_230117.jpg 20180909_230151.jpg

18. deadlyhandsome

Stetson Toronado:

I don’t recall seeing this liner in this thread. It appears to be a down market line by Stetson. I’ve seen them come up for sale from time to time, but I’ve never handled one. I think it’s a late 1960s or 1970s hat but correct me if you know otherwise.

[​IMG]

And the sweat:
    [​IMG]

I’m not sure what “Crafted Edge” refers to. Maybe a doubled over and glued brim edge treatment? It does. It look to the sewn as an underwelt would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  19. Redfokker

Redfokker

The font on "Tornado" is kind of 70s feeling. I remember seeing a thread somewhere about the various fonts used for Stetson as well, probably lost to the photobucket purge though. Not a bad looking hat from the inside, what is it like on your head?

deadlyhandsome likes this.