Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide

Discussion in 'Hats' started by jimmy the lid, Sep 26, 2008.

1. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

It’s a shabby little hat, but it’s not mine so no headshots. I was more interested in it for the liner and the “crafted edge” brim treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Redfokker likes this.
  2. Roadopen

Roadopen One of the Regulars

What about a Royal De Luxe Stetson form the 50's without a liner?

Thanks,
    Roadopen

3. deadlyhandsome

This was a new liner to me. Forgive me if it was included earlier; I don’t remember seeing it. The hat is not mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

There's a Stephen L. Stetson thread. He was John B's nephew, and that "neve connected in any way" was the result of a legal settlement.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

5. deadlyhandsome

As soon as I read your post a vague memory was stirred. I’m too young to be so forgetful. Thanks.

Just Daniel likes this.
  6. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I had one for a while. Very nice hat, but too stingy, so I unloaded it on the Bay.

drmaxtejeda and deadlyhandsome like this.
  7. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

Any help with dating this one? There is no size tag but the production tag says 7. The liner looks typical of the 60's perhaps? This is a deep blue Stetson Fifteen with Mode Edge,
    Hats1.jpg Hats2.jpg Hats3.jpg Hats4.jpg Hats5.jpg Hats6.jpg a 2 inch brim and a 2 1/4 ribbon with trolley and back bow.

hatsRme, Bill Hughes, steur and 4 others like this.
  8. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

Mid 50’s

9. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

^^^What he said. The 3X imprint on the sweat changed from round to rectangular sometime around 1960.

10. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

Good to know. Thank you both for the info.

Frunobulax likes this.
  11. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

The rectangular 3X goes back as far as 1895 and renewed several times in the next century.

hatsRme and Rmccamey like this.
  12. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thanks, Vic. I had associated it with the newer hats only.

Rmccamey likes this.
  13. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

I’ll take a stab at this, first with a question: when did the Royal Stetson first appear in ads?

Looking at the red size tag, it is the single block type that lasted to the 50s, except this one looks longer and narrower than average. I have seen that narrow type on several hats with star-crests on both the liner and sweat. I believe size tags appear on hats with vita felt stamps, indicating to me the thicker versions came about in the early forties. I believe this longer, thinner red tags with one box are possibly from the later 30s.

The date on the inside of your hat would provide some support; I do believe the liner is one of the original Royals. Some corroborating evidence from bigger hat collectors would help for the liner, as well as some early dates from the ad collectors.

Add: From Brad Bowers, message #51 on this thread: “Seems about right. Out of curiosity, I looked up the trademark filing for "Royal Stetson." It states that the first use of the term in commerce was September 12, 1935, so that's some corroborating evidence for that period. Stetson filed pretty fast on the term, on September 25, and received their registration on March 10, 1936.“

That could mean the date on the inside of your hat is accurate for the felt.

Anyone else have ideas? I think the liner deserves a little more digging. I’ll look some more.

All the best,
    Daniel

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    steur likes this.
  14. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Thanks Daniel:
    That’s great info. I’d kind of given up on IDing this one without the sweatband but i do know the liner is unique.
    If i recall correctly i’ve only seen it twice on the lounge.
    I believe BobHufford has one and Eric has one. I’ll have to do some more digging.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Bowen

steur and drmaxtejeda like this.
  15. Putting these here if it helps...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve not noticed the liner size stamping before.

[​IMG]

M Hatman, Bill Hughes, steur and 4 others like this.
  16. alanfgag

alanfgag

The hats above are from the 1940s. The Royal Stetson liner in the 1930s looked like this:

royalboater5.jpg

royalpanama3.jpg

The transition to the narrow profile single field manufacturing label took place in the early 1940s. I have early release Stratoliners (1941-42-43) with this label and also with the earlier variant, the narrow label with three field boxes.

earlystrat10.jpg

vitastrat8.jpg

In the late 1930s to early 1940s the gold printed keyhole size label would still be present.

vitastrat5.jpg

The manilla paper keyhole label followed this. These features (single field red label, manilla keyhole size tag) continued into the 1950s.

Here are some additional threads on dating Stetson hats by manufacturing label and by size tag. Don't read as the bible - we've all learned more along the way. But it's a start.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  17. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

Thanks Alan! That is great information.

Dan

18. AbbaDatDeHat

Thank you very much Alan for pulling that all together. Combining info from several threads over time gets somewhat confusing. I appreciate your expertise.
    Bowen

19. AbbaDatDeHat

Thanks Bob. That’s the one.

BobHufford likes this.
  20. Here are pictures of the inside of a very early THE Royal Stetson Derby I have. This would date to the earliest use of the name circa 1935, before "Royal Deluxe" entered the picture. At its introduction Stetsons "Royal Stetson" was an upper level hat. Not the lower or mid level it later came to be....If I remember this one was price tagged around 12.00 which was a lot of money in 1935, 1936.

There are soft felts (fedoras) from the same time out there marked exactly like my derby.

Looking at the colored liners being asked about here, I would date them 5 years later right around 1940 or early 40's, right around when "Royal Deluxe" was introduced.
    M
    THE Royal Stetson.jpg THE Royal Stetson 2.jpg THE Royal Stetson 3.jpg