Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide

Telemaster

One of the Regulars
I believe Mayser once had the German contract to make Stetsons. I’m sure Steve can provide more information.

The contract hats don’t always conform to the US made hat standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I have a made in Germany Stetson Playboy that is from the Mayser period. I think it might be stretching the intent of this thread, but here’s the stamp on the sweat.

7162F025-299B-47D3-89E4-2570B4862A42.jpeg

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I have a 30s Stetson stamped with a French hat store. It is marked as imported from the US, all in French.

I assume that liner and crest are pre-WWII, well before Stetson licensed production overseas. I’m not so clear on the licensing dates, maybe someone else has more info.

Yeah, I have a made in Germany Stetson Playboy that is from the Mayser period. I think it might be stretching the intent of this thread, but here’s the stamp on the sweat.

View attachment 163912

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
I actually did stumble upon that useful page during my search but I don't see the same liner there, I see something similar but the color isn't the same

This was early 1970s "last drop" liner - coloring is different, looks like there is green below whereas the image I posted was all orange tones

You think it's still 1970s? And was that a quality hat as in 100% beaver, soft hand, re-shaped easily?
Thx in advance
stetson_last_drop70s_liner.jpg

I actually did stumble upon that useful page during my search but I don't see the same liner there, I see something similar but the color isn't the same

This was early 1970s "last drop" liner - coloring is different, looks like there is green below whereas the image I posted was all orange tones

You think it's still 1970s? And was that a quality hat as in 100% beaver, soft hand, re-shaped easily?
Thx in advance
Cameras, lighting as well as photo reproduction can make the same thing look different each time......CLOSELY examine the details....this IS the same era liner as yours...... if anything looking at your liner it was not printed as well....yours is more granular..... as there is some loss of detail as well as color misalignment....so may even be later........but the overlay work is of the same era and type.
M

View attachment 163912
That is a US made 30's stamp.....so before licensing.....would have been imported! Great find!
Can you post more pictures??? Looks to be in fantastic condition..

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thx in advance
Yes I still think 1970s.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I have another Stratoloiner. It was tagged 7 1/8, but the seller said it had shrunk down to 6 3/4. I thought, "that can't be," so bought it anyway. It fit like a small 7. The sweat has stars, but is cut very straight at the back seam, and also has the remains of fabric tape there. The reed is also gone, though there is reed tape. I think the band was cut to resize the hat at some time in the last 70 plus years.
The felt looks great after naptha, and there are only 3 very small moth wounds. It fits wonderfully with no sweat as well. ;-) It, with several other hats, is just waiting for me to finish my tools for completion.
in about a week I'll have one already ready to wear.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Sweet win! I was watching it, I think it is definitely pre-1930s, maybe pre-20s. Somewhere on this website there is info in those logos.

Other signs - the sweat in the back is not sewn, and no paper size tag. When it arrives you can check the reorder tags in the back, they will help too.

Edit: Here is another start point, I will look it over too (post #91 and 103):

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-crest-dating.40021/

Anyone got an idea of date on this one? Picked it up today for what I think was a good price, size was unknown by the seller and it looks a little worse for wear but from the research I've done this should be pretty old no?

View attachment 179108 View attachment 179109 View attachment 179110

Last edited:

J Williams

Practically Family
Sweet win! I was watching it, I think it is definitely pre-1930s, maybe pre-20s. Somewhere on this website there is info in those logos.

Other signs - the sweat in the back is not sewn, and no paper size tag. When it arrives you can check the reorder tags in the back, they will help too.

Edit: Here is another start point, I will look it over too (post #91 and 103):

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-crest-dating.40021/

Yeah I’m surprised no one really bid against me. I don’t even want to say what I ended up paying. Regardless it seems worth it even if it hangs on the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone got an idea of date on this one? Picked it up today for what I think was a good price, size was unknown by the seller and it looks a little worse for wear but from the research I've done this should be pretty old no?

View attachment 179108 View attachment 179109 View attachment 179110

I have owned a number of hats with this imprint all of which I believe to be 1920s-1930s. I have an earlier version too, but can't find the photos at the moment. This is a factory hat, which might have a date stamp behind the sweatband. Look forward to your photos when it arrives.

realnutriasweat.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider