Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dealing with Joe Public

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
I found this post under "Attire & Accoutrements":

Wingnut said:
I've had all manner of reactions to my preferred style, from 'You look like a gangster', 'You're a freak' to 'Are you gay?'. Sometimes I'll view it as an opportunity to educate people that at one time, every man put a hat on his head and a jacket on his back before walking out the door, sometimes I'll tell 'em I left the tawhmmy gun inna da Byooick, and as for that last comment, I just tell them that good taste has nothing to do with sex.

People can't handle things they can't understand, aren't comfortable with, or goes outside their 'normal' little box that they've placed themselves in. Eccentric? Hell, yes I am! Unusual? More than that, I'm one of a kind. If you don't like it, tough, I don't dress to please others, only myself!
We have a variety of people here - different countries, ages, looks, and so on. What kind of reactions do you usually get when you step out in vintage gear in your area?

I mean, over the years, I have been seen in NZ city streets wearing:
- 8th Century "Viking" wear
- 13th century kirtle/surcoat
- 16th century Italian court gown
- 17th century Irish gown
- Red/black recreation of Scarlett O'Hara's bbq dress (hoops fit in a Mini Cooper! Who'da thunkit?)
- Pseudo-uniform resembling British Dragoons circa. 1886
- Uniform inspired by British Army nurses, circa. 1880s
- Ladies' walking wear, circa. 1886
- Generic 20's flapperesqe fringed slip with sautoir
- 40's wear
- '50s poodlewear (I was a strange child...)

And usually get no more than stares or (dare I say dumb) questions. Does anyone have any "interesting" experiences?

I have noted the following:
- People stare stupidly, and even dangerously, without realising that you can see them too [huh]
- If they ask a question, it is usually a pop culture reference
- If it's not a pop culture reference, they usually want to know where you bought it. ;)
- '40s daywear tends to blend fairly well, especially at the moment. Eveningwear, at least for ladies, will usually get a double take - almost always complimentary

I had a bad hair day yesterday, and so put it in an up-do/snood, then dabbed on some makeup, and dashed out the door in heels and my vintage-esque tweed coat. I felt like I had a neon sign above my head! Eyes just followed... I don't usually wear that sort of stuff to uni. People really seemed to forget themselves in staring, or commenting without realising it. :)

What is it about vintage wear that just makes peoples' eyes glaze happily over or spark with interest? :D

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I have actually noticed how little other people usually notice what is being worn. It often get all set for a reaction and then am almost disappointed that nobody comments.

Usually this concerns various bits of reenacting kit or uniform I am wearing at some point. For instance, if two men wearing WW2 Soviet NCO uniforms walked into your pizza parlor with a jerry can and ask if they could fill it up with water wouldn't you be sort of curious?

Or if you were in Wal-Mart and see a bunch of guys in Waffen-SS uniforms buying a truck battery wouldn't it seem rather odd?

Well, to the people there at the time apparently it did not!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wear a lot of vintage flying jackets...

ONE evening I popped into a really nice cocktail bar in Newcastle-upon-Tyne called "Popolos" (It's Italian), and the barman said to me that I looked like Biggles! I was wearing a WWII shearling jacket with a rather large wooly collar that could probably take off all by itself!! (M445a, for those 'in the know'). I think he meant well, it just came out all wrong! some folk don't know quite what to day, but feel obliged to say something, even if it's very weak!
I've been complimented on my Knox brown Fedora by a dear middle aged lady who said that they look very smart on a guy!
Other times I wear original flying jackets that just put the "C" into COOL, but no-one seems to notice them :-(
Then at a big vintage airshow at a place called Duxford in Cambridgeshire (UK), a few guys came running over to me when I was wearing an original Aero 1942 A2 (you know, the little short leather jacket with the huggy knits on the waist and wrists) and they immediately said, "are you Paddy Middleton?" WOW!! thought I was famous for all of 2 seconds!!! (Andy Warhol said it would be longer!!! :-(haha. Don't know how they knew it was ME, but I must have that laid back James Stewart Irish look to me!!! who knows. They were guys from another vintage forum (on flight jackets) who had never met me but we had read each others posts.
So, the reaction I get is mixed, but not as immediate as some of your reactions! then again, maybe if I dressed up as William Wallace (Braveheart), or a dashing Roman Centurion (I live in Northumberland where Hadrian's Wall is, so might be appropriate!) then who knows what reactions I might tempt!!
I bet you must look great in some of those outfits. Post some pics if you feel comfortable with that, as I'm sure there's loads of us would appreciate your styling.

PS: As for the singing, I love most of those pieces you listed, and am looking furiously for a voice coach near to where I live! like finding hens' teeth though! they seem to be that rare.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I usually get compliments. Haven't had any negatives yet. The most reactions I got was when wearing this:

I guess it's all about where you are and what is going on. The state I'm in is known for unsual appearances ( maybe due to Hollywood and the film industry).
Folks don't like someone that is different than the "herd", hence the strange looks or curosity.

D

Deleted member 259

I've never gotten any outrageous reactions from my outfits - but the hats always turn heads.
A lot of the students at my college automatically asked if I was an art student, because apparently, only artsy people dress retro.
(The fact that I am, indeed, a drama major is irrelevant here)

As for being unusually dressed, I used to work for the Ren. Fest and a couple friends and I would stop in a bar/resturaunt after work before we had a chance to change out of our costumes. I was a wench. I always felt a little sorry for the jester. Luckily, the waiters got used to it after a while.
I'm also an actor and the number of times i've run off stage and into public during a rehersal - well, i've been in a number of get-ups, from newsie to the wicked witch.

My boyfriend and I get "Bonnie & Clyde" a lot, especially when we're walking through the city, but it just goes to show how people have to try and identify you with something they understand.
I'd argue that a majority of the population no longer understands the concept of looking nice for the sake of looking nice.
I almost cry everytime I go to a Theatre Production (Le Mis was the most recent) and see people coming in casual wear. wearing a Dress Shirt and shoes with Jeans does not make it formal!
(This is one of those things i get really upset about...i'll stop now.)

ClintonHammond

Suspended
I sat down at the bar a few night ago waiting for chums to get there for darts, and the guy beside me said under his breath "We named the dog Indiana.", and without missing a beat I said, "Hey... I got a LOT of fond memories of that dog."

He laughed, ^5ed me, and we went back to our pints and that was the end of that...

I was in Dockers... a white button down shirt... A Builtmore Senator... and I had my murse worn across my chest...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"I almost cry everytime I go to a Theatre Production (Le Mis was the most recent) and see people coming in casual wear. wearing a Dress Shirt and shoes with Jeans does not make it formal!"
I have an anecdote that goes perfectly with this thread:me and my gal just went to see a play on Broadway, and of course got totally decked out in our vintage best. Well, everyone else in the theater and on the streets were dressed so casually that WE felt out of place, and we were actually asked a few times if we were IN a show!! If people don't get dressed up for dinner and a play on Broadway in NYC anymore, when WOULD you get dressed up?!
flat-top

Zach R.

Practically Family
I know what you mean about people just not understanding the concept of looking nice for the sake of looking nice.

You should see the strange looks I get around here for just wearing a button-down shirt and tie, I'd hate to think what would happen if I actually wore suit and a hat.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I've been wearing a fedora and khakis for several years now (recently 8/4 caps). I own my own pet dog/protection dog training business. I'm not as well known as I'd like to be, but I do command some noteriety. I get comments that range from "Hey, you're that dog training guy that trains dogs like they did in the 1930's," to "Aint you the face painter." Seems theres a local face painter who wears a newsboy cap while he paints.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I can definitely relate to his topic. People really don't understand the concept of dressing up to look nice--the concept is very foreign nowadays. Many women even comment on my wearing of stockings and foundation garments as if they are oppressive; a sort of 'how could you' remark appears tucked amongst the "Wow, I used to wear those!" and "Are those *real* stockings?� comments. Oddly enough, quite a few women (never men—they probably know better) ask to touch my stockings or take a peek at my garters. :rolleyes: I find this very weird!

I find that I get a mix of comments; most are positive, and many do show people’s need to categorize things. Because I often wear my light blonde hair in a short, curly fluff, I receive a lot of “You look like Marilyn� remarks. Those who know who Betty Grable was will mention her; and I do get a lot of comments based on the latest retro movie. For example, when Chicago was newly released, I received a lot of questions regarding if I gleaned my style from this movie. Mind you, my hair would usually be in huge 40s rolls, but most people cannot date historical eras with much accuracy!

It is interesting that carpecaligo mentioned attending Les Mis; when it came to Gammage a couple of years ago, we attended an afternoon show wearing nice day dresses, stockings and heels. I was shocked to see other attendants in jeans and tee-shirts, and quite a few women who put forth the effort to wear a nice blouse and skirt, only to ruin the outfit by slapping on a pair of flip flops (and many don't even bother to comb, let alone style, their hair.)

It is also interesting to be loosely lumped into that category of 'pierced and tattooed freaks' just because one is dressed very differently. I feel that I am dressed very conservatively, but apparently I am dressed for shock value, and I receive the same odd looks that the aforementioned group does!

However, this fall's fashion trends are *supposed* to be leaning to the more formally dressed. For example, for women, the hourglass shape is back in fashion (hurrah!), and we should be seeing nice pencil skirts and feminine, tailored blouses and tops on the racks shortly. Actually, a recent fashion mag even featured a whole spread on 1950s-60s-inspired outfits, and they showed quite a few jackets and dresses that appeared to have been pulled directly from a 1950s Vogue magazine. So perhaps there is hope, at least for one more season!

D

Deleted member 259

As for the whole pierced and tattooed freaks,

I have three holes in each of my ears and i intend on getting a tattoo in a few years.
(I have the image i like in my head, I'm putting it on paper, and if i still like it in a few years, i'm getting it)

But it's not as if I have my nose/lip/tounge/etc pierced and my tattoo is going to be the one and only. Really, I think it's all about how you carry yourself. I'm not about to start listening to Marilyn Manson and wearing all black just because I have more than one piercing.

Jitterbug doll, I have the same problem with people being astounded over my stockings. After 13 years of being required to wear them (Catholic School) I just don't feel right if i'm wearing a skirt without them.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I think we all know what I'm refering to when I mention "peirced and tattooed freaks. I have four tattoos, on the forearms and shoulders, I wish I had never gotten them. If it were not so expensive, I'd have them removed. They are souvenirs of the Marine Corps. You know the required Eagle Globe and Anchor, and stuff like that. But my whole arms are not covered, from neck to wrist.

Carp, what school did you go to. I went to St. Ann's in Arlington for elementary, and O'Connell for part of HS?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
When I refer to "pierced and tattooed freaks" (and I would imagine Bob is on the same page), I refer to those with multiple, full body tattoos, many piercings, those stretched out ear lobes, and the metal balls people now insert underneath their skin (often on the forehead.) When someone is featuring that many shocking elements at the same time, they are almost uncomfortable to look at! Of course that may be the point...and I do think that some of the people who adorn themselves this way are actually trying to be ‘ugly’, to some extent. Of course, I know quite a few rockabilly girls who are heavily tattooed, but often the tattoos are pretty interesting and/or simply pretty—so sometimes, it depends on the attitude the wearer projects!

But anyway, I certainly wouldn’t place you in this category, carpecaligo!

My middle sister has a small, conservative tattoo on her hip—you can only see it if she wants you to see it! She wanted this tattoo since the age of 18; she told herself if she still wanted it 10 years later, she would get it. She did, and I think she is still pretty pleased with it several years later.

ClintonHammond

Suspended
"When someone is featuring that many shocking elements at the same time, they are almost uncomfortable to look at!"

I think they're great... Creative... non-conforming... progressive

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
I bet you must look great in some of those outfits. Post some pics if you feel comfortable with that, as I'm sure there's loads of us would appreciate your styling.
I would, but I seem to have an odd talent for Not Being In The Photo. Usually it's not even intentional! :) You may notice I don't even have an Avatar yet...

PS: As for the singing, I love most of those pieces you listed, and am looking furiously for a voice coach near to where I live! like finding hens' teeth though! they seem to be that rare.
Yes, I know what you mean... Impossible to find, let alone afford. [huh]

I agree totally with everyone's comments on the "oddity" of dressing nicely. I often feel out of place among my "fashionably" dressed younger acquaintences and my jeans-and-tshirt-mummy-uniform friends.

Strangers' comments range from: "Are you in a show?" and "Are you going to a job interview/date/wedding/etc.?" to "Who do you think you are?" and "What a freak!".

Friends comments range from "You look nice!" to "God, I can't believe you go to all that effort. I just couldn't be bothered! I mean who cares?!? It doesn't matter how you look, all that makeup and clothing and other frou-frou is just expensive and time consuming, and what's the point when the kids are just going to jump on it anyway..?". (I think they're just trying to make themselves feel better about living in oh-so-flattering mummy-pants & baggy t-shirt 24-7.) [angel]

It's funny how many people act dismissive or contemptuous or like you're a big joke, but really you get the feeling they're envious. ;)

farnham54

A-List Customer
I guess it all depends on the circumstances. Times are a changin' folks; it's not entirely normal to go to EVERY evening show in formal wear. The "Sunday Dress" is still used very frequently, but in different areas. And the concept of formalwear is changing; its becoming more practical.

As much as I love suits, hats, and a nice dress on a girl, it was a fashion in the Golden Era. Fashions change. I don't like it, but at the same time I'm not terribly surprised to get the odd strange look if I go out all done up when it's deemed "unnessecary" for the event.

Just my two cents :)

Cheers
Craig

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
farnham54 said:
I don't like it, but at the same time I'm not terribly surprised to get the odd strange look if I go out all done up when it's deemed "unnessecary" for the event.

Just my two cents :)

Cheers
Craig

Craig, do you go out in a fedora and/or vintage clothes often? I'd like to hear the Canadian perspective...maybe people are more polite about things there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner