Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dear new neighbor

I just realized my neighbors learned all of the relationship skills from watching Jerry Springer and Maury Povitch. (Although it seems Maury is now, from what I have heard, more along the lines of "all DNA testing all the time TV.")

HepKitty

One Too Many
The "Me's", "Entitled" or the "20's", all good food for thought and comment-This thread has received a lot of remarks and activity. Good input and opinions.--John

The intent certainly wasn't to offend. More to amuse than anything else. That some find it mildly therapeutic and enlightening is a bonus :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My parents once had neighbors who repeatedly nagged the township to try to stop my parents from farming, despite the fact that my parent's farm was there 10 years before these people moved in. The town tried to pass a regulation that said that the only types of farm animals people could have were horses and dairy cows, with a lengthy permit process, even if you were zoned agriculture (no farms would be grandfathered in). A few city people moving in that wanted the "look" of the country without it actually being, you know, "country." The people in charge of the town wanted to develop it as a "bedroom" community.

My parents had luck because they befriended this couple's kid. He would tell my parents all of the things that were said and were being done. I also wrote letters to every person in the county and state government I could find. (I mainly got replies that this was a "local matter" and I should contact the anti-farm township supervisor). Something clicked though- the town dropped it about a year later. The neighbors got a divorce and sold the house right after that.

So, I guess the moral of this story is, contact everyone you think is relevant and keep good records in a log book. If the people have kids, and you can befriend them, you might stay a bit ahead of their doings (if they are the planning devious type of neighbor). That is what I would do if my neighbors were bad.

Well, got up this morning to strange footprints in my driveway, beer cans and bottles around my truck and in the bed, also the wiring to my license plate light was pulled apart. I threw the cans and bottles back over there and while I was working on my truck, I heard the bar owner calling us vandals and saying we were throwing random bottles over because we don't like her.

She then came over to my dad's store (I live upstairs) and did a 'search' for beer bottles as she thought we had a stockpile of them or something. She really thinks this is some sort of conspiracy theory.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Or you can report smelling marijuana smoke. That'll get the cops out faster than a murder.

Not always. We lived in an apartment and the people below us were out on the porch smoking a joint. the smell came up into our screen door. I called to cops told them the exact address and apt number. they NEVER showed.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Well, got up this morning to strange footprints in my driveway, beer cans and bottles around my truck and in the bed, also the wiring to my license plate light was pulled apart. I threw the cans and bottles back over there and while I was working on my truck, I heard the bar owner calling us vandals and saying we were throwing random bottles over because we don't like her.

She then came over to my dad's store (I live upstairs) and did a 'search' for beer bottles as she thought we had a stockpile of them or something. She really thinks this is some sort of conspiracy theory.

You know, you could have a lot of fun messing with the paranoid lady's head... lol I just wouldn't want to give her an excuse to be a jerk though

Well, the letter has been received by the Village, the lawyer has been notified, and our video surveillance system has been ordered. We have one looking out the front, but the vast majority of the problems are in back.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
ya know.. a sprinkler hooked up to a motion sensor would solve this problem of them in your yard.

We were renting a duplex (never again) and the front yard was nothing but dirt. so I went and got grass seed and spread. but then the kids next door decided to ride their bikes through the yard, killing the seed. I went next door and asked the parents to not let their kids do that. They didn't stop. So I placed stakes through the yard and strung nylon cord around them making a web all over the place. The next day I hear a crash. The kid had run through there and the cord got tangled int he bike wheel and flipped them over. That was the last time they road through the yard. The grass came in beautiful.

You could try the same, with post and chains.

As for their music. not much you can do during the day, but the sec it turns 10:00pm call the cops. After a few times of that, they *might* get the hint. The people below us int he apartment we just moved out of liked to blast their TV so loud I knew what they were watching. so I hooked up my surround sound with the sub woofer facing down and cranked up the bass. They got the point. Some times you have to take matters into your own hand. Cops and other legal means don't work.

If all else fails, a balloon filled with bleach and ammonia tossed onto their front porch or car port works wonders. Just make sure they are inside when you do, the smell will run them out but not harm anyone.

/|\

One of the Regulars
a balloon filled with bleach and ammonia...

This is not advisable. Mixing bleach and ammonia produces chlorine gas, which is deadly to inhale.

Of course, I like to check things before I post them. It turns out that the mixture can produce other dangerous chemicals depending on the ratio. Here's what I found with a google search of bleach and ammonia:

It will make Chlorine Gas (among other deadly things)

That warning is there to protect you. Household bleach has a chemical formula of NaOCl - that is, one atom each of sodium, oxygen, and chlorine. Its chemical name, for the curious, is sodium hypochlorite. Ammonia has a chemical formula of NH3, that is, one atom of nitrogen and three atoms of hydrogen. When these two compounds are combined, the following reaction takes place:

2(parts)NaOCl + 2NH3 --> 2NaONH3 + Cl2.

Do you see that Cl2 on the right hand side there? This means one part chlorine gas, made up of diatomic (two atom) molecules. It also means that the chlorine gas has been liberated from the bleach, and is quite capable of causing you harm when inhaled!

Nitrogen Trichloride (very toxic)

Another potential reaction, which occurs when a greater amount of bleach is added than ammonia, is this:

3NaOCl + NH3 --> 3NaOH + NCl3

That's sodium hydroxide and nitrogen trichloride. Nitrogen trichloride is a very toxic chemical to humans, and even if you did get close enough to ingest it, it would probably explode in your face first, as it is also a very volatile explosive. There is little necessity in explaining why that is bad.

Hydrazine (explosive rocket fuel)

Another reaction can occur if you have more ammonia than bleach. It is a three-part process. The first reaction produces sodium hydroxide and chlo
These products react with more ammonia.

NH3 + NH2Cl + NaOH -->N2H4 + NaCl + H2O.

N2H4 is hydrazine, a very unstable compound. Then a final reaction between hydrazine andf dichloramine occurs.

2NH2Cl + N2H4 --> 2 NH4Cl + N2.

This reaction produces so much heat that it usually causes an explosion.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Tennessee Williams lived around the corner from us in New Orleans on Toulouse St and his landlady lived upstairs. Whenever she'd had enough of his typewwriter "clickty-clacking" she'd pour hot water on the floor right over TW's desk. The hot water would drip down on him and he'd get the message that it was too late at night for her to listen to his typewriter.

If you've ever seen Streetcar Named Desire now you know where TW got the idea of how to break up one of Stanley's card games.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
This is not advisable. Mixing bleach and ammonia produces chlorine gas, which is deadly to inhale.[/color]

EXACTLY. which is why I said make sure they are not outside when you do it, the smell will seep in and they will run out the back door. the stench will linger on the porch for days will no ill effects.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
EXACTLY. which is why I said make sure they are not outside when you do it, the smell will seep in and they will run out the back door. the stench will linger on the porch for days will no ill effects.

Yabut... these days such an act might be considered an act of terrorism. Attacking a house with a device designed to deliver a deadly gas is an inherently unfriendly act. AND you're making an assumption that they're smart enough to go out the back and not open the front door to find out where the smell is coming from! :eeek:

Cheers,
Tom

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Yabut... these days such an act might be considered an act of terrorism.

These days, blowing your nose in public is considered an act of terrorism.

AND you're making an assumption that they're smart enough to go out the back and not open the front door to find out where the smell is coming from! :eeek:

Darwinism. If they are stupid enough to walk toward the smell, then so be it. Problem still solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran