Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I saw him at the theater once in Manhattan, many years ago. He was so heavy it was scarey. He must have weighed 350 pounds. He stood with a cane, and could hardly move himself around. Given his health problems, I'm slightly amazed he lasted this long.
But what a dear funny man he was!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Dom Di Maggio

Joe D's younger brother, known as the Little Professor. One of the first players to wear glasses while playing, and one of the very first to look at films of his swing to improve his hitting.
He had a career .298 batting average, not too shabby. Along with brother Vince, and all time Yankee great Joe, they formed a three brother big league trio.
http://www.1010wins.com/Former-Red-Sox-Great-Dom-DiMaggio-Dies-at-Age-92/4358602

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Marc,

I didn't know John, yet after checking out the links you posted I can see he was a kindred spirit. Maybe I'm too emotional but it's left me with a hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach. My condolences to all his friends and family.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Jenny, Mike and Marcus, you're right. Everyone who knew John, even slightly, were touched by his friendliness and kindness. He made people feel accepted and comfortable. Matt Deckard just told me that John had planned to be a doctor: I imagine he would have made a great one.

Lady Day and everyone else, I apologize for my reactionary posts here (which have been sensibly removed). The product of sadness and frustration, their tone and content were nonetheless inappropriate, angry, and ill-reasoned. Loungers deserve better.

We traveled in different circles but have friends and aquaintances that overlap. From their words of grief and shock, I can say I am sorry I did not get to meet him. As a person that could evoke such kind memories he was someone that truly touched those lives around him.

Our condolences to his family and friends.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
He went to a few of the QM events, some of you might remember him through that. I know him from outside the Lounge, meeting him at a swing dance event several years ago. Reenactments to dances to various parties, he was always polished and a gentleman in all circumstances. I met him when he was 18 and he was already more worldly and mature than I could ever be. When we mention concepts here on the Lounge like people having "IT", he's the one in real life that had "IT", and he had it in spades. He seemed to pack 40 years into his 25 and had an eye contact and way with connecting to people off the bat that would make even the most shy of people come out of their shell. His funeral is tomorrow, and he will be dearly missed. It's just a shock. And no-one has to make any embellishments when it comes to saying he was truly one of the best people I or they have ever known.

l_7eeb870db4c721abd3ed477e91318eca.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Jane Randolph

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-jane-randolph28-2009may28,0,3617258.story

Jane Randolph, a B-movie actress in the 1940s who was best known for her role in the film noir "Cat People," died May 4 in Gstaad, Switzerland, after surgery on a broken hip, her daughter announced. She was 93.

Under contract to RKO Pictures in 1942, Randolph was cast as Alice Moore, the young woman terrorized during a nocturnal swim in “Cat People,” the first of producer Val Lewton's horror films.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
He went to a few of the QM events, some of you might remember him through that. I know him from outside the Lounge, meeting him at a swing dance event several years ago. Reenactments to dances to various parties, he was always polished and a gentleman in all circumstances. I met him when he was 18 and he was already more worldly and mature than I could ever be. When we mention concepts here on the Lounge like people having "IT", he's the one in real life that had "IT", and he had it in spades. He seemed to pack 40 years into his 25 and had an eye contact and way with connecting to people off the bat that would make even the most shy of people come out of their shell. His funeral is tomorrow, and he will be dearly missed. It's just a shock. And no-one has to make any embellishments when it comes to saying he was truly one of the best people I or they have ever known.

l_7eeb870db4c721abd3ed477e91318eca.jpg

Nice tribute, Matt. He must have been something. It's almost as if he was like a science fiction visitor form the past, who did whatever he had to do in our time, and then went back to his own time.
But I'm struck by one thing: no helmet. Authenticity is great, but you still ave to remember a few precautions. Damned shame.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff