1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Jun 2, 2008.

1. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

vitanola and Worf like this.
  2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Charles Manson, "the wild-eyed 1960s cult leader whose followers committed heinous murders that terrorized Los Angeles and shocked the nation, died Sunday of natural causes, according to the California Department of Corrections. He was 83."

3. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

4. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

5. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Singer and actor Della Reese has died, aged 86. Cannot provide a link at this time.

6. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    MisterCairo likes this.
  7. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean Call Me a Cab

Yep, David Cassidy along with Donny Osmond, were the heartthrobs of teenage girlies throughout the western world in the early 70's...fans everywhere....I know 'cause my younger sis was one of 'em. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  8. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I don't know what's harder to wrap my mind around, that "Keith" from the "Partridge Family" is dead or that he was 67.

From the obit I read, it seems that he didn't have a great life and never fully got on track after his huge early success. That always makes me sad as there was a time when I, naively, thought very early stardom was a wonderful thing for these kids - but of course, too many examples have taught me otherwise.

HadleyH1 and Zombie_61 like this.
  9. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

HadleyH1 likes this.
  10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Natural causes for a heavy drinker, that is. He did enjoy quite a bit of success in the 70s, but that seemed to tail off in the 80s. Immensely talented guy, and from most reports, a nice guy, too.

At least we still have Susan Dey.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

HadleyH1 likes this.
  11. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

Not one, but two 50s/60s jazz greats:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/...ght-a-new-dimension-to-jazz-singing-dies.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/...an-dead-record-producer-and-talent-scout.html

I was lucky enough to see Jon Hendricks and Company play the Bottom Line in around 1980. (I actually won the tickets answering a radio station jazz question correctly... pretty much the only time I've ever won anything!) He was outstanding. I also saw his daughter Michelle Hendricks, also an excellent jazz singer, play a couple of years later at the West End.

I gotta dig out my old Lambert, Hendricks & Ross LPs...

12. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

13. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

14. Lean'n'mean

Jean d'ormesson.........prolific author, erudite academician & prehaps even philosopher, died today aged 92.
    One of his many quotes;
    " Birth is a place of inequality, equality takes it's revenge at the approach of death."

belfastboy likes this.
  15. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

3fingers and BobHufford like this.
  16. 3fingers

3fingers Practically Family

HadleyH1 likes this.
  17. Lean'n'mean

The king of rock is dead. Johnny Halliday (born Jean Philippe Smet) Singer & actor, passed away this morning from lung cancer (he was a heavy smoker) aged 74. France & Belguim are in mourning today as are his millions of fans throughout the world. The end of an era.
    A golden oldie written by Charles Aznavour no less.......sock it to 'em Johnny.

18. Inkstainedwretch

Inkstainedwretch Practically Family

Keely Smith has died at 89. Her beauty and elegance, contrasting with husband Louis Prima's over-the-top Sicilian exuberance, made an indelible impression.

19. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

Never knew what she could have seen in him. She was graceful, stunning and talented. Not to say Prima wasn't talented but C'mon man!

Worf

20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Hall of Fame sports broadcaster Dick Enberg was found dead in his home last night at the age of 82, victim of a presumed heart attack.

Enberg was the best baseball broadcaster on the West Coast not named Vin Scully for nearly fifty years, first with the California Angels and subsequently with the San Diego Padres, from whom he retired after the 2016 season. He was known for a bright, upbeat style even when broadcasting teams which disappointed him with their shabby play, and earned a spot in the broadcaster's section of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2015. He was a very versatile broadcaster, and aside from his baseball work was a prominent figure in college sports broadcasting, especially NCAA basketball, and also called pro football, golf and tennis for various broadcast and cablenetworks. Like his friendly freeway rival Scully, Enberg also dipped into the world of TV game show hosting during the 1970s as the impresario of the popular "Sports Challenge."

Here's Dick Enberg's first Major League opening day, 1969. All broadcasters should be this good.