DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Jun 2, 2008.

1. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The New Yorker piece is fascinating reading -- it's so utterly dispassionate that you get the feeling Van Doren's entire life has been spent walling off that part of it, and he's as shocked as anyone to discover the truth.

As far as I know, Herb Stempel is still alive and well and living in Brooklyn. He once challenged Van Doren to meet him any time any place for a legitimate game of "Twenty One" to benefit charity, but alas, now that challenge will never be met. I'd have tuned in.

vitanola, Zombie_61 and Fading Fast like this.
  2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

There is a difference between making a one-time bad call - a lie - at a weak moment and perpetuating the type of fraud Van Doren did. It should have haunted him his entire life. I'm amazed he got the job at EB.

Based only on what I remember from reading about it years ago, Stempel would have destroyed Van Doren.

Zombie_61 and LizzieMaine like this.
  3. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Bamaboots, vitanola and Touchofevil like this.
  4. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean Call Me a Cab

Scottish actor, Bradley Welsh, best known for his role in Trainspotting 2, was found shot in the head in a street in Edinburgh. He was 42.

MisterCairo likes this.
  5. Lean'n'mean

Immense French actor of stage & screen, Jean-Pierre Marielle, died yesterday, aged 87.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  6. Lean'n'mean

Another Frenchie kicked the bucket yesterday, Rock'n'roller, Dick Rivers, (real name Hervé Forneri...it was popular during the sixties for 'artists' to Americanize their stage names.) died from cancer, aged 74.

7. Lean'n'mean

American soprano, Charity 'Sunshine' Tillemann-Dick, recipient of 2 bi-lateral lung transplants, died on the 23rd, aged 35.

8. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg One of the Regulars

vitanola and MisterCairo like this.
  9. Lean'n'mean

American film director, screenwriter & producer, John Singleton, died yesterday (29th) following a stroke two weeks previously.He was 51.

10. Bushman

Bushman Call Me a Cab

11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

^ Sad news. Chewbacca immediately became one of my favorite movie characters. RIP Mr. Mayhew.

12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Naturalist Jim Fowler has died at the age of 89. If you're over fifty, you know him as Marlin Perkins' long-suffering sidekick on "Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" all those Sunday nights ago. ("While Jim wrestles with the puma, it's a comfort to know he's got a full endowment policy from Mutual of Omaha!") Fowler took over the show after Perkins' death, and was still at it when "Wild Kingdom" returned to cable in the early 2000s. He's also well-remembered as a perennial guest on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show," where he'd inevitably bring along some furry creature who'd steal Johnny's coffee cup or pee on his sport coat. Thru it all Fowler maintained a perfectly straight face and a sincere love of animals that transcended whatever wacky predicament he found himself facing.

[​IMG]

13. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

⇧ And from a time when TV was such that you could go into school the next day and talk about the show with a bunch of other kids and teachers as many had watched the same nature show.

14. Lean'n'mean

British comedian, singer & impressionist, Freddie Starr, was found dead at his home in Spain yesterday, probably from a heart attack. He was 76.

15. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

A great moment with Jim Fowler, Dick Cavett, Groucho Marx, and a sloth. Now that's television.

"Didn't Truman Capote live in a tree at one time?" Ah, the seventies.

Bamaboots and Zombie_61 like this.
  16. We lost a long-time lounge member. :( This "+1" is for you @RJR

Bob_Ruby.JPG

Michael R., Edward, Kirk H. and 3 others like this.
  17. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

:( R.I.P.

Michael R. and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

HJ and I were just wondering about him the other day. Rest in Peace, Bob. May the angels take you home.

19. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Godspeed, Bob. You left too soon, and will be missed here.

Michael R., Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.
  20. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab