DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I have to agree. Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In was possibly his biggest career break, but he never really seemed to "cash in" on that popularity after that series ended despite numerous television appearances and working as a "voice actor".

2. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

R.I.P., Eva Mozes Kor (Auschwitz survivor).

3. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

And Daniel James Burda, 36, was taken into custody on Friday on suspicion of manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, abuse of a corpse, criminal mistreatment, and identity theft in relation to the death of Dennis Day. Neighbors say Burda had lived with Day and his husband in southern Oregon. Police declined to provide more details and couldn't immediately be reached for additional comment.

MisterCairo likes this.
  4. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean Call Me a Cab

Brazilian singer, songwriter & musician, João Gilberto, died yesterday aged 88. Pioneer of Bossa Nova, he has influenced countless musicians.

5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Maverick 1990s presidential candidate H. Ross Perot has died at 89. Without getting into his politics, Mr. Perot will live forever in my mind as the oddest interview I ever conducted. Somewhere I still have a tape of him railing at great length at the failure of the Rockland District High School Band to play his campaign theme song "Crazy For You" in the correct key.

Rmccamey likes this.
  6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

And the best thing about Perot's campaign was his running mate's comment at the vice-president debate:

When Hal Bruno of ABC News, the moderator, called a cease-fire between Mr. Quayle and Mr. Gore so Mr. Stockdale could get a word in on the economy, he could only say, "I'm out of ammunition on this one."
    Back in those days, I'd actually watch all the debates and remember chuckling at that comment as every other politician - ever - seems to believe that the one who uses the most words wins, not Stockdale - very military.

vitanola likes this.
  7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

A Maverick and an unsung hero in America.
    Smart enough to realize America needed a third voice....wealthy enough to do it.
    RIP Ross Perot

Rmccamey and HoosierDaddy like this.
  8. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

Really?

He chose THIS as his campaign song?

That's almost as much of a hoot as Bryan's '08 theme! Certainly much better than that toasted Cocoanut dance which Clinton chose

9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I'da voted for him if he'd used that version!

vitanola likes this.
  10. Notorious former Major League pitcher and baseball iconoclast Jim Bouton has died at the age of 80. While enjoying some success early in his career with the New York Yankees, it is Ball Four, his memoir of the the 1969 season for which he was immortalized. Ball Four was unlike any sports book that came before it. Bouton held nothing back. He named names. He told of hilariously goofy stuff young men with free time and money often do to pass the time. He wrote about which players cheated on their wives. He documented the camaraderie as well as the petty jealousies. He also laid bare the seedy side of professional sports, the rampant drug use, and most particularly baseball’s infamous reserve clause, which essentially bound a player to one team for life. In short, he tore down the curtain and in the process many of America’s heroes. As a result, he was shunned from the game for a very long time, even though books that came after his were far more outrageous and scandalous. It was only much later that all was forgiven and he was more or less welcomed back into the baseball fraternity. He was certainly groundbreaking.

There are many quotes from Ball Four that are telling and hilarious at the same time. Stuff to make you actually laugh out loud. But it was the sign off that I remember best:

“You spend a good part of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all along.”

RIP, Bulldog.

Cornshucker77 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Actor Elmore Rual "Rip" Torn Jr. died Tuesday at the age of 88.

MisterCairo likes this.
  12. Inkstainedwretch

Inkstainedwretch Practically Family

The old Sid Caesar show had a running skit that featured the "method actor" Torn Shreds.

13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

And on top of it all, he was actually a pretty good ballplayer. Without him, the Yankees don't win the pennant in 1964.

His sequel to "Ball Four," "I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally," contains the most devastating portrait of Bowie Kuhn ever committed to print.

Cornshucker77 and vitanola like this.
  14. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

English/South African musician and activist Johnny Clegg has died, aged 66. I learned a couple of years back he had terminal pancreatic cancer. He did a farewell tour two years ago.

I'm on a military computer, cannot access youtube, so perhaps someone could find the link for "Scatterlings of Africa". I still have the 45 I bought when it came out in the 80s, a fairly big hit in Canada at the time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/johnny-clegg-dead-1.5213904

Lean'n'mean likes this.
  15. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

See if this works:

Lean'n'mean likes this.
  16. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Justice John Paul Stevens

A kind and thoughtful gentleman and peripatetic jurist whose inconsistency eventually landed his ballot
    to the left of the Court, but whose opinions though well written, failed to establish a consistent jurisprudence
    for either Court or legacy.