Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A legendary baseball figure who never played a game in the major leagues has died from complications of COVID-19. Steve Dalkowski may have thrown harder than any man who ever played the game -- but he never managed to control his pitches, terrifying batters thruout the low minor leagues during the late 1950s and early 1960s. There were no radar guns in those days, but the legend has it that he could regularly throw in the 110-115mph range, and the impact of his misdirected throws once shattered an umpire's mask and sliced off a piece of a batter's ear. He was the only pitcher Ted Williams declared he was afraid to face.

dalko-50-scaled.jpg

Dalkowski made his way thru the Baltimore Orioles' farm system and, under the tutelage of then-minor-league manager Earl Weaver, seemed to learn to control his arm. He earned an invitation to spring training with the major league club in 1963, but suffered an arm injury that kept him from a place on the opening day roster. He never recovered his speed, and was out of the game for good by 1966. He spiraled into a tragic life of alcoholism and dementia, and spend the final decades of that life in a residential-treatment center in Connecticut.

In 956 career innings of minor-league ball, he struck out 1324 batters -- and walked 1236.

A legendary baseball figure who never played a game in the major leagues has died from complications of COVID-19. Steve Dalkowski may have thrown harder than any man who ever played the game -- but he never managed to control his pitches, terrifying batters thruout the low minor leagues during the late 1950s and early 1960s. There were no radar guns in those days, but the legend has it that he could regularly throw in the 110-115mph range, and the impact of his misdirected throws once shattered an umpire's mask and sliced off a piece of a batter's ear. He was the only pitcher Ted Williams declared he was afraid to face.

dalko-50-scaled.jpg

Dalkowski made his way thru the Baltimore Orioles' farm system and, under the tutelage of then-minor-league manager Earl Weaver, seemed to learn to control his arm. He earned an invitation to spring training with the major league club in 1963, but suffered an arm injury that kept him from a place on the opening day roster. He never recovered his speed, and was out of the game for good by 1966. He spiraled into a tragic life of alcoholism and dementia, and spend the final decades of that life in a residential-treatment center in Connecticut.

In 956 career innings of minor-league ball, he struck out 1324 batters -- and walked 1236.

I had my own Steve Dalkowski experience. I played Little League (minors) as a 9 year old. I was a big kid and we had another on my team that was even bigger than me...Billy White. He threw very hard but had no idea where it was going. This was back in the day before full head helmets and we wore these shitty little ear flap things. I was so glad Billy was my team mate so I did not have to face him. The league, part way into the season, passed a rule saying he was not fit to pitch in the league as he was doing both physical harm and mental harm to the players. Kids would break into tears while on deck out of fear.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Frà Giacomo Dalla Torre del Tempio di Sanguinetto, Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St John (aka, The Knights of Malta) has died at the age of 75. RIP. He was the 80th Grand Master of an organization that was founded in the year 1113 when the Pope formally recognised the independence of the Knights with a Papal bull, the original of which is still held in Malta's National Archives. Although once pivotal in the crusades, today the order has full diplomatic privileges and spans the globe doing charitable aid work. By statute, the Order of the Knights of Malta now has three months to appoint a new Grand Master.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52472801

Last edited:
Frà Giacomo Dalla Torre del Tempio di Sanguinetto, Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St John (aka, The Knights of Malta) has died at the age of 75. RIP. He was the 80th Grand Master of an organization that was founded in the year 1113 when the Pope formally recognised the independence of the Knights with a Papal bull, the original of which is still held in Malta's National Archives. Although once pivotal in the crusades, today the order has full diplomatic privileges and spans the globe doing charitable aid work. By statute, the Order of the Knights of Malta now has three months to appoint a new Grand Master.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52472801

(polishes resume)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Legendary Algerian (kabyle) singer, songwriter & composer, Idir, (Hamid Cheriet) died yesterday(2nd) in Paris, from a long illness,aged 70.

MUPNOIG667DYLJZUN5DNBQRVTA.jpg

This lullaby became a worldwide hit in the late 70's.

I missed this when it happened, but just heard about it on the radio. Big Al Carson, blues musician, staple of Bourbon Street, and generally a great guy, passed away April 26 at the age of 66 after a heart attack.

Every time I went to NOLA, I would make sure to catch a set by Big Al, who played the Funky Pirate for more than two decades. My wife loved him, and he always chaperoned a great time during his shows. His interactions with the predictibaly drunken Bourbon Street crowd were legendary.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/music/article_90a15e0e-8810-11ea-bc88-8fcc67eabd6b.html

RIP Big Guy.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yeah... this one hurts a bit. Yeah he was strange, wild, crazed but if you look at his earliest footage... the man was a monster. His band moved like a drill team, he pounded the piano like a jackhammer and his music was pure FIRE. While Chuck would throw in the odd nugget like "Havana Moon" and novelty songs like "My Ding a Ling" Little Richard was havin' none of that.... He was 100 miles an hour headin' west all the time. Screaming that howl of his every second of the way, his processed pompadour dripping with sweat. I'll miss him.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21