Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

LizzieMaine

Bartender
He did radio commercials for the Zayre chain of discount department stores for years in New England. If you listened to Red Sox games on the radio in the '70s, you knew him even if you had no idea who he was.

It's hard to believe Alex Trebek had hosted "Jeopardy" for that long. I still think of him as "the new guy" that replaced Art Fleming.

And Geoffrey Palmer, for me, will always be Reggie Perrin's dimwit brother-in-law. "Bit of a cockup on the catering front..."

Nobert

Practically Family
A very familiar face on Britich TV (& voice on radio), actor Geoffrey Palmer, has died aged 93.

_115258102_palmer1_bbc.jpg

I've been known to say that it sometimes seems as if there are only about 27 actors in the U.K. and five of them are Olivia Colman. He was another two or three.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I've been known to say that it sometimes seems as if there are only about 27 actors in the U.K. and five of them are Olivia Colman. He was another two or three.

I have been telling my wife for years there are precisely 25 actors of each sex in the UK. Glad to know I am not the only one to have noticed this!

I have been telling my wife for years there are precisely 25 actors of each sex in the UK. Glad to know I am not the only one to have noticed this!
The good news is that they are all excellent performers and put much of Hollywood to shame. Britain produces actors, Hollywood produces celebrities (they may begin as decent actors but soon devolve into celebrityhood.)

David Prowse, the guy who was inside the Darth Vader suit...
I had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Prowse at a convention here in southern California some time around 1990 give-or-take. Return of the Jedi had been out of the theaters for a while and The Phantom Menace hadn't yet been announced, so Mr. Prowse was relegated to a table in a rather empty back room of the center where no one but me seemed to even notice him. Despite his displeasure with Lucasfilm (and George Lucas in particular) over his specific lack of Star Wars publicity, he couldn't have been nicer to everyone he spoke with and seemed to have a good-natured sense of humor. Normally I would think 85 years was a "good run" but, based on that encounter, I got the sense that he wasn't someone who would generally be described as a "happy" man. Rest in peace Mr. Prowse, and thank you.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Not really a star, although.................Ancient (in every sense of the term)French president (1974 - 1981) Valery Giscard d'Estaing, has died from complications of COVID-19 aged 94.
Some may remember back in 2009, when the British monarchy was shaken by the revelation of a passionate love affair between himself & Lady Di in a novel he wrote entitled, The Princess & The President. Many took it for fact rather than fiction.:rolleyes:

5313344-valery-giscard-d-estaing-ancien-preside-624x600-1.jpg

Au revoir Monsieur le President.

He did radio commercials for the Zayre chain of discount department stores for years in New England. If you listened to Red Sox games on the radio in the '70s, you knew him even if you had no idea who he was.

It's hard to believe Alex Trebek had hosted "Jeopardy" for that long. I still think of him as "the new guy" that replaced Art Fleming.

And Geoffrey Palmer, for me, will always be Reggie Perrin's dimwit brother-in-law. "Bit of a cockup on the catering front..."

“It's hard to believe Alex Trebek had hosted "Jeopardy" for that long. I still think of him as "the new guy" that replaced Art Fleming.”

I have way too many moments like this nowadays. Moments that could be/should be posted in the “you Know You Are Getting Old When” thread.
:D

Last edited:
It's hard to believe Alex Trebek had hosted "Jeopardy" for that long. I still think of him as "the new guy" that replaced Art Fleming...
You aren't alone. I thought the same thing until I saw some of the publicity photos of Mr. Trebek from his early Jeopardy days with the mustache and dark hair and remembered he'd been doing the show for quite a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui