Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Being a bald, and I mean BALD, man, it never ceases to amaze me how certain men can take their natural hair, and make it look insane.

And by extension, themselves look insane.

Hey, Carrot Top, you still out there???
Sometimes it just seems that old age can be the most cruel to those who experienced good fortune in their lives, & never felt grateful or respected it. Since Spector had never been sent to a mental hospital, had he lived another 3 yrs to 2024 he would probably have been paroled at age 84. And yet he hasn't worked for 40 yrs!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
French stuntman & stunt coordinater, Rémy Julienne, has died from COVID-19, aged 90. Amoung many other films, he was responsible for the stunts on the Bond movies from 1981 - 1995 & 'The French Connection 2

julienne.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sigh this one DOES hurt. I just listened to an interview he did with Dan Patrick from last year. At 85 he was so classy, so honest.... so effin' real! To me he is STILL the Homerun King. No PED's on his score card. He didn't cheat to win. Man baseball has taken an absolute beating this last 12 months. Sigh... Hammerin' Hank, never to be forgotten.

Worf

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Baseball legend Henry Aaron has died at aged 86. My childhood and the foundation of my baseball soul is officially gone. This one hurts like no other for me.
Rest In Peace, Hammer.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/br...mer-city-official/JXDCLYDFFVHNPC2KRNX2KBKIEM/

I have never been a big baseball fan (or a big sports fan, for that matter), but you couldn't grow up when I did and not know who Hank Aaron was. The man had real talent that seemed to be tempered with humility, and he seemed to be a genuinely good person. Those qualities are sorely lacking in many of the sports "stars" of today.

RIP, indeed.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sigh this one DOES hurt. I just listened to an interview he did with Dan Patrick from last year. At 85 he was so classy, so honest.... so effin' real! To me he is STILL the Homerun King. No PED's on his score card. He didn't cheat to win. Man baseball has taken an absolute beating this last 12 months. Sigh... Hammerin' Hank, never to be forgotten.

Worf

Agreed 100 percent -- one of the finest men ever to play the game. And to think he could have played in Boston.

If anyone gets the chance, I recommend Aaron’s biography, “I Had a Hammer”. There are some very uncomfortable, but real and honest, passages. Aaron was very private and unassuming, never grabbing the mic or the spotlight. Yet it found him. The days leading up to his breaking the HR record had to be torture for him. The pressure, the hate, the death threats. And he emerged as one of baseball’s greatest ambassadors and statesmen. There will never be another.

"Home Run Derby: Hank Aaron vs. Al Kaline." Filmed at Wrigley Field in Los Angeles, December 1959.

I still have my Milwaukie Braves hat....Love that 'M'. Burdette, Spahn, Del Crandall, Eddie Mathews, Joe Adcock and Hank. Next to the mid '60s SF Giants my all time favourite team. I was first and foremost a Willie Mays guy...but Hank was close second.

I was first and foremost a Willie Mays guy...but Hank was close second.

The Pirates were playing the Braves at old Forbes Field in Pittsburgh and Aaron was apparently in a slump. When he struck out in his first at bat, the Braves fan in the front row said, "That's nothin'. I seen Willie Mays go 0 for 8." When Aaron made an out on his next appearance, the same guy, with a little beer in his system now, said, "That's nothin'. I seen Willie Mays go 0 for 10." A few innings and a few beers later, Aaron makes another out. "That's nothin'. I seen Willie Mays go 0 for 15." The guy in the next seat said, "if this game goes any longer, Willie Mays is going to be the worst player in baseball."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the stations I worked at carried Larry King's overnight talk show over the Mutual network, and for almost nine years, I heard the tail end of just about every one of his broadcasts. He always closed out with "Duke's Place," which in his context didn't refer to Mr. Ellington, but to Duke Zeibert's Restaurant in Washington, where the elite were wont to meet to eat. I often wondered what Ross Perot would have ordered during one of those after-show parties.

King was a far better interviewer than he ever really got credit for, especially on radio, where the conversation tended to be more free-ranging than on his television shows. There isn't anyone quite like him today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21