Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
English author, graphic novelist, cartoonest & illustrator, Raymond Briggs, died yesterday aged 88.

1660118907988.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Songwriter Lamont Dozier, who co-wrote hits for The Supremes & Four Tops has died.

Songwriter Lamont Dozier has died at age 81. Along with Brian and Eddie Holland, Dozier co-wrote dozens hits for The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops and others. His death was announced by his son on Instagram.

"Heat Wave," "How Sweet It Is," "Stop In The Name of Love," "You Keep Me Hangin' On," "Nowhere To Run," "Bernadette"... Holland-Dozier-Holland were talented, prolific songwriters who were instrumental in making Motown "the home of Hitsville, U.S.A."

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/09/1116472786/lamont-dozier-motown-died?t=1660130638447

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dasfeedanya, Tovarish!
Mikhail Gorbachev dead at 91.
when I was 30 years old I walked through Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin. If you would have told me that the wall would be gone in less than a year, I would not have believed you.
I almost forgot that he received a Nobel Peace Prize For that nuke treaty.
In retrospect, those were amazing times.
R.I.P.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/30/europe/mikhail-gorbachev-dies-intl/index.html

Last edited:
God bless the Queen.
She has been at the helm my entire life, and I am now an old man.
A steady and calm hand on the tiller through some rough seas.
She has earned a bit of rest.
R.I.P.
Yes, she has been one of the through lines of my life....a constant. I am a Canadian, she was my Queen but no strong connection to her or the institution other than her presence for the entirety of my life. I think I am weeping more for me than for her as her death brings to the forefront my own mortality as I contemplate the lengthy thread of my life.

Tiki Tom

The legendary Dr Frank Drake has died at the age of 92.
He was most famous for “the Drake Equation“ (how many of us have an equation named after us?) in which he attempted to calculate the number of civilizations that might exist in the universe. It makes us laugh now, but —at the time— he kinda started the whole “are we alone?” conversation.. And did so in a serious, academic way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

He also was the guy who launched SETI.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-legendary-frank-drake-shaped-the-search-for-alien-life/

He certainly was not afraid of thinking outside the box! At the time, it was considered to be “way out there” thinking. Now it is fairly mainstream, I think.

R.I.P.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actress Marsha Hunt, one of the last survivors of 1930s Hollywood, has died just short of the age of 105. She did most of her work for Paramount and MGM until her career was brought up short by the blacklist in 1950. She remained active in a reduced capacity on stage and in television, as well as carefully-selected films, but became far more interested over the second half of her life in matters of social justice.

Of the 151 performers, writers, directors. producers, and musicians listed in "Red Channels" in June of 1950, she was the last survivor. She also had the immense satisfaction of outliving every one of her accusers.

marsha-hunt-4.jpg

Tiki Tom

Actress Marsha Hunt, one of the last survivors of 1930s Hollywood, has died just short of the age of 105. She did most of her work for Paramount and MGM until her career was brought up short by the blacklist in 1950. She remained active in a reduced capacity on stage and in television, as well as carefully-selected films, but became far more interested over the second half of her life in matters of social justice.

Of the 151 performers, writers, directors. producers, and musicians listed in "Red Channels" in June of 1950, she was the last survivor. She also had the immense satisfaction of outliving every one of her accusers.
Wow. Great lady, great story. R.I.P.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
View attachment 449945

96 years of age, seven decades of service to the UK and the Commonwealth. God bless our gracious Queen.
It's Earth-shattering when somebody who's seemed immortal dies. She was Britain's longest reigning monarch, and for over three generations, the only monarch many Britons knew.

On the same day of Her Majesty's passing, we also lost the original CNN anchor, Mr. Bernard Shaw. :( https://www.nbcnews.com/media/berna...sfYGvIYHsvg9Sv07dSE7lhAcBAk0Eb5Qz5f00VGznh4KA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB