Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Bob Keane

Bob Keane, who founded the West Coast independent label Del-Fi Records in the 1950s and is best known for discovering and recording rock legend Ritchie Valens, has died. He was 87.

Keane, who was played by Joe Pantoliano in "La Bamba," the 1987 film biography of Valens, went on to record artists including Little Caesar and the Romans, Brenda Holloway, Johnny Crawford, Frank Zappa, Barry White, and surf bands including the Impacts, the Sentinels, Bruce Johnston's Surfing Band, the Lively Ones and Dave Myers & the Surftones.

Keane also had success in the '60s with the Bobby Fuller Four, which recorded "I Fought the Law" and other songs for Keane's Mustang Records.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-bob-keane1-2009dec01,0,2711217.story

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ironic

that Maguire mentions the passing of Patrick McGoohan, and the very next post, mentioning the death of Giorgio Carbone, has Patrick McGoohan's image as its avatar. What are the chances of that???

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Richard Todd RIP

World War Two airborne hero and actor (e.g. Dambusters and Longest Day) Richard Todd has passed away.

A real gentleman and an asset to both of his professions - as well as a personal hero of mine. He will be missed and remembered.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Irish Troubadour, Liam Clancy

I saw Liam Clancy with Tommy Makem at the Rose Hill gymnasium at Fordham University, in the Bronx, some time in the early 80's. It was a great place to see these two great Irish singers. A terrific experience.
One of the Canadian TV stations (I think CHCH in Hamilton?) used to have a weekly show, The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, Live at the Caribou. It was so much fun. They also featured a wonderful Newfoundlander singer named Harry Hibbs. Harry's diction was utterly incomprehensible, but he was a wonderful singer, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/arts/music/05clancy.html?hpw

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Gene Barry died on the 9th at the age of 90. He was THE COOLEST on television as police chief Amos Burke in "Burke's Law" and then as "Amos Burke, Secret Agent." Snappy dresser and full of dry wit and even drier martinis.

Brian Sheridan said:
Gene Barry died on the 9th at the age of 90. He was THE COOLEST on television as police chief Amos Burke in "Burke's Law" and then as "Amos Burke, Secret Agent." Snappy dresser and full of dry wit and even drier martinis.

Wasn't he the professor in the 1950's War of the Worlds movie?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I read a fascinating bio of Walt many years ago called "The Disney Version". The auther mentions how the yes men execs at Disney used to refer to Roy as the "idiot nephew". He was no idiot, and he had the last laugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav