Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Kid Mac

Practically Family
According to Joyce Maynard, in her memoir "At Home in the World," Salinger wrote every day (at least during the ten months they were together) and stored the unpublished work in a bedroom safe. Given his legal fights over his copyrights, though, it wouldn't be surprising if he had a iron-clad will that directed a literary ex to destroy any existing manuscripts.

Mac

Feraud

Bartender
BinkieBaumont said:
"Now that he has gone, his descendants can sell the film rights for a fortune"
Finally. Let's get this over and done with already.
I vote Frankie Muniz to play the rebellious yute.
frankie_muniz.jpg

Cricket

Practically Family
Although I have never seen the movie, I believe I read somewhere that Igby Goes Down is loosely based on The Catcher in the Rye. Of course, not entirely accurate, but I read that it influenced heavily by the Salinger classic.

No clue, but has anyone seen it? Does it tie together somehow? It might be worth a rent.

Warden

One Too Many
Jazz legend Sir John Dankworth dies aged 82

17062.jpg

I say sorry chaps for not posting anything yesterday, we heard of Sir John Dankworths death and did not feel like going on line.

For those of you who know us personally know Edna works at the Stables Theatre. The Stales theatre is in the grounds of Sir John and Dame Cleo home and has the aim to bring music to the greater population.

We experienced their support for new musical ideas when earlier in the year we had been asked to put together ideas for a vintage nightclub. When this did not come to fruition it was the Stables who asked us to bring our ideas to the Stables.

Thus Vintage Hedna’s is planned to be launched later in the year.

I do not want to miss lead you, Edna is not a close friend of Sir John, their relationship was one of employee and employer, but he always spoke to Edna and Sir John and his wife always sent us Christmas cards.
Today is a sad day and our thoughts are with the Dankworth family.

Harry

BBC News Story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8502621.stm

Vintage Hedna's
http://www.homefrontfriends.org.uk/vintagehednas/

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
http://www.alexandermcqueen.com/

On behalf of Lee McQueen's family, Alexander McQueen today announces the tragic news that Lee McQueen, the founder and designer of the Alexander McQueen brand has been found dead at his home. At this stage it is inappropriate to comment on this tragic news beyond saying that we are devastated and are sharing a sense of shock and grief with Lee's family.

Lee's family has asked for privacy in order to come to terms with this terrible news and we hope the media will respect this.

Lenore

Practically Family
FRANKIE said:

In reading the comments, I've come across this. I think it's important to share and I applaud the OP.

"Can I just say and this is no knock on Alexander McQueen's friends at all, but think about it. It is so easy to forget to call or text, to get wrapped up in your own problems and don't even think about your friends', to leave petty tiffs unresolved. And some people are particularly vulnerable. AM was vulnerable. His friend died, his mother died, he lived alone, he was depressed. Money, fame and business "friends" and peripheral hangers-on could not have prevented this.

Call a friend. Just to say "hi". Do it today. Do it again tomorrow. Make plans to get together with your friends. Send them funny e-cards and jokes. Wish them Happy Valentines Day and Happy Mardi Gras. Or a Happy Thursday or Friday."

cecil

A-List Customer
^^ Agree also. The poor man. I've had some pretty rough times myself and I'm definitely not the only one but just...the overwhelming hopelessness that drives someone to suicide just breaks my heart every time.

A true fashion visionary, he'll be the Elsa Schiaparelli of his time, I think. Like him or loathe him, fashion history books of the future will no doubt feature him heavily. Just brilliant stuff. Those bizarre lobster claw shoes...look at the shape of those! They were the first shoe to look like that, ever. In 5000 years of shoe making, he was the first to make a shoe in that shape. The first. That's like being the inventor of the stiletto heel or sneakers. Crazy. RIP dude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic