Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

/|\

One of the Regulars
RIP, Robert Truax

Rocket pioneer Robert C. Truax has died at the age of 93

Perhaps this is the wrong forum to post such news, but when I think of rockets (I was born in the Space Age) I think of the '50s and '60s. Nice suits back then, and hats were widely worn.

Truax championed the idea of cheaper and more widely-available access to space. He lived long enough to see the beginning of private space flight.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
63863_438425644163_624014163_5179388_2676363_n.jpg

Gloria Stuart

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3id8b4313a40c3bc112152835a276603e9

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:

Oh, no, that breaks my heart, though she lived a nice, long life.

I got to meet Ms. Stuart some years ago and found her delightful. She was my personal connection to the golden age of Hollywood, even though we'd only spoken a couple of times ten years ago. But she knew so many of the greats personally -- Bogart, the Marx Bros., and so many others.

She will be missed.

I think I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but a few days after Stuart's 100th birthday in July, I posted at Cladrite Radio an interview I did with her 11 years ago. I'll post the URL here again, for anyone who'd like to give it a look:

http://cladriteradio.com/archives/1792

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
Buddy Collette, jazz musician, bandleader and civil rights advocate, died on Sept. 19 in Los Angeles. The 89-year-old's daughter, Cheryl Collette-White, told the Los Angeles Times that the cause of death was due to respiratory problems.

While not widely known unlike his jazz contemporaries, Collette played with Count Basie, Thelonious Monk, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra and Duke Ellington from the time he was a teen in the 1930s. He continued performing up until 1998 when his career was cut short after he suffered a stroke.

Born William Marcel Collette in Los Angeles on Aug. 6, 1921, Collette grew up with music all around him as his father was a pianist and his mother sang. He formed his first group at the age of 12 and convinced his young bandmate Charles Mingus to trade in his cello for a bass.
http://www.spinner.com/2010/09/28/buddy-collette-dead/

[YOUTUBE]RBqWAr871Ic&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Edward

Bartender
I love Some Like it Hot. I can only imagine how daring the cross dressing element must have been to the mainstream of the early Fifties.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
I love Some Like it Hot. I can only imagine how daring the cross dressing element must have been to the mainstream of the early Fifties.

Actually, if you think about it, there's a LONG history of cross-dressing in farce, from Charlie's Aunt to Bugs Bunny, so it didn't get much notice. The film - which is from 1959, not the early 50s - was a big hit, but its subversive messages about gender flew over most audiences' heads at the time.

Curtis was nearly the last of the old-line stars, and a much better and more versatile actor than he's usually given credit for. Though he did plenty of schlock too, he made some great films... The Defiant Ones, Sweet Smell of Success, Some Like It Hot, Spartacus - plus campy fun like Houdini, The Vikings and The Great Race.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
Actually, if you think about it, there's a LONG history of cross-dressing in farce, from Charlie's Aunt to Bugs Bunny, so it didn't get much notice.

I'm sure you were referring only to film and are aware of the fact that the cross-dressing tradition goes back for centuries in the theatre.

In Shakespeare's time, you had boys and young men playing all the women characters, which is a different kettle of fish, of course, but then, in certain of his plays, you had young men playing female characters who are pretending to be men.

The mind boggles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy