Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
LAST TANGO IN PARIS star Maria Schneider dies: report

(Reuters) -- French actress Maria Schneider, most famous for her role as Marlon Brando's lover in LAST TANGO IN PARIS, has died aged 58, French media reported on Thursday.

Le Figaro newspaper quoted her family as saying she had died on Thursday morning in Paris after a long illness.

The daughter of French actor Daniel Gelin and a Parisian bookshop owner, Schneider was l9 when she was cast in only her second screen role opposite Brando, who was 48.

LAST TANGO IN PARIS was controversial at the time of its release in 1972 for its sexual content.

Three years later, Schneider appeared opposite Jack Nicholson in THE PASSENGER.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Betty Garrett, died Saturday morning of natural causes at UCLA Medical Center following a brief illness. She was surrounded by her family at the time of her death. She was 91.

A revered figure in the Los Angeles theater community, she was the recipient of nearly every artistic award the city could bestow, including Career Achievement Awards from the Los Angeles Drama Critics' Circle and the Ovation Awards, and the Queen of the Angels Award from L.A. Weekly. She was a founding member of the 49-year-old Theatre West, and was moderator of its Musical Comedy workshop until the time of her death. She frequently appeared on the Theatre West stage. Her final shows there included "Nunsense," the Los Angeles premiere of Noel Coward's "Waiting in the Wings," and a revue, "Betty Garrett, Closet Songwriter."

A Broadway star, she appeared in thirteen Broadway shows, among them "Call Me Mister," "Bells Are Ringing," "The Supporting Cast," the revival of "Follies," and the 1963 production of "Spoon River Anthology" originally developed at Theatre West.

She appeared in a dozen films, including classic Hollywood musicals including WORDS AND MUSIC, TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME, NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER, ON THE TOWN, HIT PARADE OF 1951, and MY SISTER EILEEN."

She was also a popular television performer, best known for her work on ALL IN THE FAMILY,"for which she received a Golden Globe, and LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY. She received an Emmy nomination in 2003 for a guest appearance on BECKER. Her final TV appearance was on GREY'S ANATOMY in 2006.

Betty Garrett received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2003.

A longtime social activist, in her later years she was active in supporting activities of charities assisting those living with HIV/AIDS.

Widowed in 1975 from the late actor Larry Parks, she is survived by her son , actor Andrew Parks and his wife, Katy Melody; her son, composer Garrett Parks and his wife, actor, Karen Culliver Parks; and a granddaughter, Madison Claire Parks.

A memorial will be planned for a later date. Donations in Ms. Garrett's memory can be made to Theatre West, the Actors' Fund, or S.T.A.G.E.

on_the_town.jpg

It's a shame, I'll always remember her as Irene Lorenzo on "All in the Family".

Betty Garrett, died Saturday morning of natural causes at UCLA Medical Center following a brief illness. She was surrounded by her family at the time of her death. She was 91.

A revered figure in the Los Angeles theater community, she was the recipient of nearly every artistic award the city could bestow, including Career Achievement Awards from the Los Angeles Drama Critics' Circle and the Ovation Awards, and the Queen of the Angels Award from L.A. Weekly. She was a founding member of the 49-year-old Theatre West, and was moderator of its Musical Comedy workshop until the time of her death. She frequently appeared on the Theatre West stage. Her final shows there included "Nunsense," the Los Angeles premiere of Noel Coward's "Waiting in the Wings," and a revue, "Betty Garrett, Closet Songwriter."

A Broadway star, she appeared in thirteen Broadway shows, among them "Call Me Mister," "Bells Are Ringing," "The Supporting Cast," the revival of "Follies," and the 1963 production of "Spoon River Anthology" originally developed at Theatre West.

She appeared in a dozen films, including classic Hollywood musicals including WORDS AND MUSIC, TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME, NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER, ON THE TOWN, HIT PARADE OF 1951, and MY SISTER EILEEN."

She was also a popular television performer, best known for her work on ALL IN THE FAMILY,"for which she received a Golden Globe, and LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY. She received an Emmy nomination in 2003 for a guest appearance on BECKER. Her final TV appearance was on GREY'S ANATOMY in 2006.

Betty Garrett received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2003.

A longtime social activist, in her later years she was active in supporting activities of charities assisting those living with HIV/AIDS.

Widowed in 1975 from the late actor Larry Parks, she is survived by her son , actor Andrew Parks and his wife, Katy Melody; her son, composer Garrett Parks and his wife, actor, Karen Culliver Parks; and a granddaughter, Madison Claire Parks.

A memorial will be planned for a later date. Donations in Ms. Garrett's memory can be made to Theatre West, the Actors' Fund, or S.T.A.G.E.

on_the_town.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Sad. One of the greats, and one of my favourites

Whenever I hear a George Shearing, I feel like reaching for a handful of peanuts and ordering a Singapore Sling, .............I'm doing a tribute to him on my show 20th February

http://www.rtrfm.com.au/shows/nostalgia

By the way, i'm Sheridan Whiteside, thanks for listening

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The sad thing about Kenneth Mars' passing is that I didn't even see it on the usual news pages, I had come across it by accident as I was looking up info on IMDB for The Producers. Usually when I find a news article about a notable passing it is on a front page the day or day after it happens.

Cheers.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24