Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Genius comic book artist Neal Adams, who did important work at both DC and Marvel in the sixties/seventies.

He was unquestionably one of the top half-dozen Silver Age superhero comics artists, a master storyteller with a sure grip on anatomy and staging. Expect a lot more obits and tributes, his influence looms large in today's superhero-mad entertainment complex...

Batman244-1.jpg
GreenLantern85-1.jpg

Last edited:
^ I'm sorry to hear this. I can remember when Adams was becoming the "next big thing" in the comic book world, and at times it seemed he just stepped up and showed "the big boys" how comic book art should be done. There was an energy in his frame-by-frame work that had been largely lacking in the medium, and he opened the door for a lot of young "up and coming" artists to show what they had to offer. I haven't been into the "comic book scene" in a long time so I don't know how active he'd been in recent years, but I don't think his impact on the industry overall can ever be overestimated.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
A lot has been said about Neil Adams drawing Batman, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, X-Men, Avengers, but...

Adams also illustrated a feature that ran a half-dozen times in National Lampoon magazine about a nebbish who would transform (a la Billy Batson and Captain Marvel) into a superhero Jesus when "HE TAKES THE NAME... BUT NOT IN VAIN..." I apologize in advance for any believers who are offended... but it was typical of the gutsy Lampoon approach of the time, and pretty hilarious.

SonOGod-NealAdams-NatLamp1972.jpg
There's a nice little article about it here:

And LOTS more articles and scans out there if you do a search.

...Adams also illustrated a feature that ran a half-dozen times in National Lampoon magazine about a nebbish who would transform (a la Billy Batson and Captain Marvel) into a superhero Jesus when "HE TAKES THE NAME... BUT NOT IN VAIN..." I apologize in advance for any believers who are offended...
I had never even heard of this until today. I have a very good friend who was far deeper in the comics scene than I ever was, and he was also much more of a National Lampoon fan. I'll have to ask him what he knows about this and find out if he has any of these in his stash. Thanks!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Well, Zombie61, that's exactly why I posted about it. Because I didn't see any mention of Son-O-God in the various obits and appreciations, and it's a fascinating side trip for Neil Adams that's worth checking out. And a reminder of just how outrageously ballsy National Lampoon was back in those days.

Edward

Bartender
A lot has been said about Neil Adams drawing Batman, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, X-Men, Avengers, but...

Adams also illustrated a feature that ran a half-dozen times in National Lampoon magazine about a nebbish who would transform (a la Billy Batson and Captain Marvel) into a superhero Jesus when "HE TAKES THE NAME... BUT NOT IN VAIN..." I apologize in advance for any believers who are offended... but it was typical of the gutsy Lampoon approach of the time, and pretty hilarious.

View attachment 422546
There's a nice little article about it here:

And LOTS more articles and scans out there if you do a search.

Interesting. Looks like rather a clever satire on the approach of much of the established church intermixed with superhero popular culture.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My goodness, this is sad.

Dennis Waterman, one of my favourite English actors, has died, aged only 74.

He was a child star, gaining great fame, particularly in the UK, on shows like the gritty The Sweeney, then the entertaining Minder, and eventually New Tricks more recently.

On the right with John Shaw in The Sweeney.

1652133702116.png

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Prolific actor Fred Ward has died, no cause given, aged 79. I have lost count of the number of things I've seen him in, especially during the 80s and early 90s.

The Right Stuff, Tremors, Remo Williams, etc., etc.

fred-ward-1-5902152-1652463334122.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points