Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Paul Sorvino was great!

Alas, another favorite actor: David Warner.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/25/arts/david-warner-dead.html

I've loved this guy ever since his early appearances in Tom Jones and Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment. While primarily known for playing villains - and boy, he was GREAT at that - I especially treasure his few good guy performances, like Bob Cratchit in the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol.

The first movie I recall seeing Mr. Warner in was Time After Time (1979), in which he played Jack the Ripper. Starring Malcolm McDowall as H.G. Wells and Mary Steenburgen as Amy Robbins (i.e., the stereotypical girlfriend of the lead actor's character), it's not a perfect movie, but watchable at least once. Or that's how I remember it, anyway; I haven't seen it since it was released.

Anyway, I thought Mr. Warner was excellent in the movie, and I immediately became a fan. Thankfully, he usually turned in the best performance (or at least one of the best) in every movie I've seen him in since. Sorry to see him go.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Time After Time is a charming little flick, it's been sitting on my DVR for a rewatch for a while. I saw it during its theatrical run in 1979... weirdly, on the exact date when H.G. Wells travels to 1979 in the film!

Trek connection: Time After Time was written and directed by Nicholas Meyer, who of course went on to do Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan and other Trek films. Of special note is his work on the screenplay for Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, where - just as in Time After Time - the main characters time-travel to (then) present day San Francisco.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Popular & oh how likeable British actor, Bernard Cribbins OBE, has passed away aged 93.
Dr Who fans will remember him as Donna Noble's (Catherine Tate) grandfather but for those of my generation, he has been part of the cultural scenery since day 1.

1659012914822.png

Sock it to 'em Bernard.....

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sportscaster Vin Scully, the last Voice of the Brooklyn Dodgers, has died at the age of 94. He began his career in 1950, moved with the ball club to the West Coast in 1958, and continued on thru the 2016 season. Mr. Scully was, by anyone's reckoning, the greatest baseball broadcaster who ever lived, and the changing nature of broadcasting, and of baseball, ensures there will never, ever be another like him.

If you have the time today, tune him in.

Sportscaster Vin Scully, the last Voice of the Brooklyn Dodgers, has died at the age of 94. He began his career in 1950, moved with the ball club to the West Coast in 1958, and continued on thru the 2016 season. Mr. Scully was, by anyone's reckoning, the greatest baseball broadcaster who ever lived, and the changing nature of broadcasting, and of baseball, ensures there will never, ever be another like him.

If you have the time today, tune him in.

Grew up listening to Mr Scully....he was great, loved listening to him even though I hated the Dodgers.

The only times I would listen to Scully was if he was on a national broadcast. I found him to be very pleasing to the ear, and am saddened by his death. However, he had "good innings," and a good life, and succeeded in his main quest, to be a "good man, good husband, good father and grandfather." RIP. Say "Hey" to Red, Ernie, Joe, Harry, Jack, and the rest for us.

I was never really a baseball fan, but my Dad would listen to the games on a radio in the garage so I grew up listening to Mr. Scully. His descriptions of the game action made it easy to evoke mental images, so I always enjoyed his style. R.I.P. Mr. Scully, and thank you for countless hours of enjoyment!

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was growing up, Scully was simply a part of the landscape. If the Dodgers were playing, I was guaranteed to hear his voice on the radio, more than once, as I rode my bike around the neighborhood. In fact, writing this, I can practically recreate the feeling of doing just that. R.I.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner