Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent Leather Jacket at Cabela's!

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Took a drive to Cabela's in Hamburg PA today for fun.
Definitely wasn't expecting to see a leather jacket there.
Apologies for the low quality camera pic, but you get the idea.
It was a nice heavy black cowhide, with small graining almost like Goatskin.
It had a permanent black quilted lining, interior zip pocket and open pocket.
Elastic at the waist, adjustable snap closure wrists, handwarmer pockets, and the fit was perfect in a Med for me.
$299; not a bad deal if you're looking for a decent leather jacket.
Just think, I could've saved a lot of money if I saw this before I became acquainted with Aero! :D

Read more about it here:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0072079904663a&navCount=3&podId=0072079904663&parentId=cat604567&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21082-cat604567&catalogCode=XK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat604567&hasJS=true

cabela_jacket.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It looks okay, but it's pretty modern and looks like so many jackets you could get at the mall (no offense intended). I guess the thing about Aero is that they make em to look like vintage jackets from a classic era.

Now I actually find Aero jackets too heavy and cumbersome to wear, so It would be good to find a company which makes classic type jackets (half-belts, etc) from lighter (goat?) hides, etc. Just my view.. ;)

bobjones

A-List Customer
Seb Lucas said:
It looks okay, but it's pretty modern and looks like so many jackets you could get at the mall (no offense intended). I guess the thing about Aero is that they make em to look like vintage jackets from a classic era.

Now I actually find Aero jackets too heavy and cumbersome to wear, so It would be good to find a company which makes classic type jackets (half-belts, etc) from lighter (goat?) hides, etc. Just my view.. ;)

Aero makes all of their jackets as I understand it in a mid-weight HH, which is much lighter than the FQHH, as well as goatskin and other hides. Drop them a line and see what they can do for you...

JLStorm

Practically Family
I have a very comfortable and extremely hard wearing B3 type jacket from Cabelas, which was about $289.00 in 2004 when I bought it. The materials are good, its very warm, the leather is tough, and the workmanship is better than what I would expect from a sub $300.00 jacket.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0021103902660a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=shearling&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D:hasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

However, comparing Cabela's stuff to Aero, is like comparing a Honda to a Ferrari, they just arent on the same plane of existence. My Aero B3 is a work of art that gets constant comments and attention, my Cabelas, is just a work jacket that looks like any other.

Kaboose

New in Town
Oh man its so odd that this thread would pop up today. I just got done staring at their B-3 jacket earlier this morning I was tempted to buy it.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Kaboose said:
Oh man its so odd that this thread would pop up today. I just got done staring at their B-3 jacket earlier this morning I was tempted to buy it.

If you dont care where its made, or about authentic reproduction and just want a hard wearing, warm, and functional jacket, It is a good way to go. Do I think that Aero is worth twice the price, absolutely. If I couldnt afford or justify the cost of Aero, would I buy the Cabela's jacket again, absolutely. I wore the crap out of my Cablea's jacket and you cant kill it without really trying.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I've had one of the Cabela's B3 jackets for going on a couple of years. I picked it up for about $150 on eBay, and I swear it had no wear on it at all when I got it.

I don't know much about B3's, but I do know that this is not truly authentic, however the quality seems to be good, and is it ever warm. That's probably the main drawback, it's so warm that I rarely wear it unless it's really cold AND I'm not doing much physical exertion. Otherwise, it gets uncomfortable.

I like the grain of the sheepskin. If you read the reviews on the Cabela's website, you will note a LOT of people say that these jackets tend to run at least a size larger than you would expect. Aside from that, the reviews are generally excellent. Mine is an XL Tall. It seems a little large, but I've never worn a B3 before, so I don't know if that's just the way they fit or not. But hey, for a 150 bucks, I sure can't complain. It's also the only jacket I own (or anything, for that matter) that was made in Uruguay, of all places.

If I were looking for an authentic B3, I'd probably go with Aero or one of the other premium brands, but if somebody is looking for just a B3-style jacket, I'd say you can't go too wrong with this one.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I can second the size range. I normally where an XL in standard jackets or XXL in milspec, but I believe my jacket is a large and it fits fine...it runs about 1/2 - 3/4 of a size big. It runs almost 2 sizes larger than milspec. The jacket is probably about as warm as my Aero B3. I dont use mine anymore, but just like my aero, I can stay warm in a t-shirt with it between 20 and 30 degrees and its been in -25 degree weather with a sweater and I was just fine.

91_Mustang

New in Town
My experience with Cabela's has always been great. Their stuff is generally well made with enough durability to satisfy the outdoors crowd. I'm sure this jacket is no exception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW