Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive/cheap source for the Akubra Snowy River

Jerekson

One Too Many
Hey fellas,

I've got some cash to blow and I'm trying to decide between a couple of new hats. One I'm considering is the Snowy River - but holy heck! I can't seem to find anywhere that sells it for less than $130.00. I don't really want to wait around on eBay just hoping that one pops up if you know what I mean...

I'm sure someone around here has sntached one for cheaper than that...what's the secret?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Buy quickly before the Aussie Dollar appreciates more...interest rates are rising, and you won`t get as good a price...hurry!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It was a hat some people wore here in the 1980's because of the film. These days the SR hat is a bit of a joke. It's like our attempt at a US cowboy hat. It's not actually worn by real stockmen, etc. The most accurate hat to recreate what people wore here in Aus as a bush hat until the 1970's is the Akubra squatter. I used to see them everywhere in rural communities. These days people in the bush often wear the Akubra Cattleman. I have a few. I usually cut the brim to a shape I like.

TSWebster

New in Town
I grew up on a farm in the Southern Tablelands (so not exactly the back of beyond I guess), my Grandfather on Mum's side and my Dad are both lifelong sheep and cattle farmers who wear Snowy River's and so do a lot of other people in my home district. Dad's Father didn't he was more of a straw hat man although he had what I think was a Stylemaster to wear to church.

Perhaps its a regional thing but I would definitely not say that no stockmen wear them. Aside from the Snowy River I would definitely agree that the Cattleman is common enough, but oddly its considered a woman's hat where I grew up, everyones Mum has one.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
www.menshats.com, 800-357-4287, in the USA has the Snowy River in fawn and black on sale now for $94.50. I just got a beret from there and told them their California competitors were offering free S & H, so they shipped it for free, and the FedEx man delivered it four business days later.

Currently, this would be very close to the cheapest delivered price and by far the quickest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner