Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
black or coated black skinny only for me and it should still have real creases around the knee, and not a cropped hem. I don't like thigh fade it only make the thighs looks more 3 dimensional and appear fatter, I think what triggers the hate of this skinny jeans is cause by too many full figured men wearing it, the kind that cropped above the ankle and combined with a blazer, and sockless loafer, I saw that look too many time even on live TV shows.

but personally for me black skinny jeans over boots and untucked t shirt under snug leather jacket works.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1.jpg

Those jeans are like a cheap hotel . . . no ballroom.

It appears to me that the migration to skinny jeans is continuing full bore. Brands that I used to regularly purchase jeans from no longer offer even slim straight cuts -- its all slim narrow to outright skinny. Even the hard core heritage / work wear brands have gone narrow / skinny. My minimum hem circumference is 16 inches, although I recently breached that long established barrier by purchasing a 15.75 jean. Ain't no way I am wearing a 14 inch hem circumference, that is currently the prevailing standard among many brands. Thus, my options are more limited than ever. So be it. With over 70 pairs of jeans in my closet, I can wait it out until the trend reverses and straight / slim straight jeans return.

The other troubling trend is the disappearance of true 100% cotton denim. Today, most jeans are made of hybrid fabrics blended with stretchy synthetics. From afar, the fabric usually looks like pure cotton denim (although not always). However, the feel and fit of the fabric is profoundly different. I personally hate it. I have no interest in hybrid jeans / leggings.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
aJ1xMb9.jpg

Just tried to combo it with denim jacket, honestly i think it works kind of cool, same recoated jeans i wore in the previous photo, but perhaps that either pose or the jeans just came out of the washer and shrank a bit, but normally this is my skinny fit, and i think it looks great and not at all feminine, i got several compliments including from my sister in it over the years:D.... it feels incredibly flimsy and inadequate now compared to my recent pants:(

It appears to me that the migration to skinny jeans is continuing full bore. Brands that I used to regularly purchase jeans from no longer offer even slim straight cuts -- its all slim narrow to outright skinny. Even the hard core heritage / work wear brands have gone narrow / skinny. My minimum cuff circumference is 16 inches, although I recently breached that long established barrier by purchasing a 15.75 jean. Ain't no way I am wearing a 14 inch circumference, that is currently the prevailing standard among many brands. Thus, my options are more limited than ever. So be it. With over 70 pairs of jeans in my closet, I can wait it out until the trend reverses and straight / slim straight jeans return.

The other troubling trend is the disappearance of true 100% cotton denim. Today, most jeans are made of hybrid fabrics blended with stretchy synthetics. From afar, the fabric usually looks like pure cotton denim (although not always). However, the feel and fit of the fabric is profoundly different. I personally hate it. I have no interest in hybrid jeans / leggings. Again, I will wait it out until the trend reverses and 100% cotton denim makes a comeback.
LOL. Yes they do lack that room! LOL. You had me rolling there. Indeed you are correct. There’s even stretch selvedge which sounds about as appealing as orange juice and toothpaste. Stretch jeans are pantyhose. Jeggings that rub and chafe the soul. Clinging to your calves and washing away your masculinity and confidence.
I also agree on the cuff diameter. I’m super strict on that. 8.5-9” is where I prefer them (9” being optimal).

navetsea

I'll Lock Up

It appears to me that the migration to skinny jeans is continuing full bore. Brands that I used to regularly purchase jeans from no longer offer even slim straight cuts -- its all slim narrow to outright skinny. Even the hard core heritage / work wear brands have gone narrow / skinny. My minimum cuff circumference is 16 inches, although I recently breached that long established barrier by purchasing a 15.75 jean. Ain't no way I am wearing a 14 inch circumference, that is currently the prevailing standard among many brands. Thus, my options are more limited than ever. So be it. With over 70 pairs of jeans in my closet, I can wait it out until the trend reverses and straight / slim straight jeans return.

The other troubling trend is the disappearance of true 100% cotton denim. Today, most jeans are made of hybrid fabrics blended with stretchy synthetics. From afar, the fabric usually looks like pure cotton denim (although not always). However, the feel and fit of the fabric is profoundly different. I personally hate it. I have no interest in hybrid jeans / leggings.

when I saw those numbers, I honestly think it was oz. and initially wanted to suggest 21 and up... but alas it was hem opening.... so I suggest minimum 17" for boots, otherwise need to cut up and install an ankle zip to match your non gusetted sleeve zip

aJ1xMb9.jpg

Just tried to combo it with denim jacket, honestly i think it works kind of cool, same recoated jeans i wore in the previous photo, but perhaps that either pose or the jeans just came out of the washer and shrank a bit, but normally this is my skinny fit, and i think it looks great and not at all feminine, i got several compliments including from my sister in it over the years:D.... it feels incredibly flimsy and inadequate now compared to my recent pants:(
But nav your a buck fifty soaking wet. You can wear whatever the hell you want ( and pull it off). My 210lb ass ain’t going to look like that in my size of that jean.

When I was a kid in the 70's I would wear bell bottom denim jeans with running shoes. Bell bottom was boot cut on steroids...In the eighties it was tight denim that was popular with both youthful sexes, minus the bell bottoms...
I wore bell bottom jeans into the early 80s when, as you wrote, tight jeans became the new trend and bell bottoms were no longer made. Levi 501s were never "skinny" jeans, but after wearing bell bottoms for so many years they seemed to be by comparison, and it took me a while to mentally make that transition; the legs on those 501s just seemed so narrow. But once I got used to them I never looked back, and 501s are still my favorite pants.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
is it just me or 501 always accentuate bow legged look, their adv always suggested that, I never owned one, the only levi I ever owned was silvertab and 502 when I was much younger, a little chubbier and wore baggy clothes.

sweetfights

I wore bell bottom jeans into the early 80s when, as you wrote, tight jeans became the new trend and bell bottoms were no longer made. Levi 501s were never "skinny" jeans, but after wearing bell bottoms for so many years they seemed to be by comparison, and it took me a while to mentally make that transition; the legs on those 501s just seemed so narrow. But once I got used to them I never looked back, and 501s are still my favorite pants.

So true!!!

RogerT

New in Town
I wear a Schaefer Outfitters "Legend" jacket, made in USA from 14.5 oz. denim. Since all of my pants are canvas, the jacket goes well with them.

I think Schaefer stuff is the best! I have their 15oz canvas mesquite jackets and vests in black and suntan and the mesquite denim jacket, well made and well thought out. They don't get nearly enough attention here.

is it just me or 501 always accentuate bow legged look, their adv always suggested that, I never owned one, the only levi I ever owned was silvertab and 502 when I was much younger, a little chubbier and wore baggy clothes.
I never really paid much attention to their advertising, but I just looked at Levi's website and most of their male models appear to be bow legged to some degree regardless of which style of jeans they're wearing. o_O I don't think there's anything wrong with being bow legged--my older brother was and couldn't touch his knees together if his life depended on it--but most people I know aren't. I've been wearing 501s for nearly 40 years and I've never had anyone tell me they make me look bow legged, so I'm sure it isn't the pants.

ProteinNerd

I recently went to buy a few pairs of new jeans and had a hell of a time trying to find any store that stocked just slim fit jeans...EVERYTHING is skinny or even worse Skinny Tapered. WTH, literally womens jeans or should I say womens leggings tight....its insane.

The only thing good to come out of this is the stretch they have added to jeans....I know people here have already said they hate it but I love it, so much more comfortable. I will probably never buy a pair of jeans again without some stretch in them.

Now let me get the hell out of here before the rocks start getting thrown ;)

iu-2.gif

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I recently went to buy a few pairs of new jeans and had a hell of a time trying to find any store that stocked just slim fit jeans...EVERYTHING is skinny or even worse Skinny Tapered. WTH, literally womens jeans or should I say womens leggings tight....its insane.

The only thing good to come out of this is the stretch they have added to jeans....I know people here have already said they hate it but I love it, so much more comfortable. I will probably never buy a pair of jeans again with some stretch in them.

View attachment 165131
don't worry PN, typos saved your skin

Colin G

One Too Many

The only thing good to come out of this is the stretch they have added to jeans....I know people here have already said they hate it but I love it, so much more comfortable. I will probably never buy a pair of jeans again without some stretch in them.

View attachment 165131

I don't mind the odd pair of stretch denim. The stretch stuff is usually thinner so I like them for summer jeans used in warmer weather plus the stretch allows me to ride a bicycle or do yard work in them and still move easily.

Skinny tapered fit drive me nuts also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112