Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
do they overdye as an object? if that the case, maybe it shrunk a little when dipped in hot black dye bath, only my guess since the seams looks puckered a bit like a denim jacket that is prewashed.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
do they overdye as an object? if that the case, maybe it shrunk a little when dipped in hot black dye bath, only my guess since the seams looks puckered a bit like a denim jacket that is prewashed.
They overdye the whole jacket. I’m not sure how much it shrinks when they do this but it doesn’t seem to be misshapen in any way.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
I arrived home this afternoon to find my new IH 22oz overdye Type 3 waiting for me. Initial impression is very good. I love the tone of the overdye, an inky blue- black color. Good fit overall but here is where a little disappointment creeps in. The regular indigo 22oz Jacket I received a few weeks back fits so well out of the box and felt so comfortable right away and this one is not quite there.
I almost wish I had received this jacket first because if I had then I think I would be raving about the fit since I would have nothing better to compare it to
View attachment 241990
All in all I am still pretty happy with this one. I’m going to try to wear it as much as I can in the next week or two and see if I can knock some of the newness out of it.

What particularly is off about the fit? It looks a little long to me, but not terrible. Don’t some weaves tend to shrink shorter?

El Marro

What particularly is off about the fit? It looks a little long to me, but not terrible. Don’t some weaves tend to shrink shorter?
Mrfrown,
That’s just it, nothing is really off about it! I think it is simply a case of the other one feeling “just right” and this one “almost right”, like Goldilocks messing around until she finds the porridge that is to her liking. I am not sure about the shrinking but what you said which certainly makes sense based on my limited knowledge of denim and fabric.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Mrfrown,
That’s just it, nothing is really off about it! I think it is simply a case of the other one feeling “just right” and this one “almost right”, like Goldilocks messing around until she finds the porridge that is to her liking. I am not sure about the shrinking but what you said which certainly makes sense based on my limited knowledge of denim and fabric.

Totally understand. I’m really curious how the heavyweight Bravestar I got will fit after more wear and the eventual soak. I have a lighter indigo one that really didn’t require any breaking in (I haven’t soaked it yet and I’ve had it for 1.5 years ;))

I’m treating it all as an interesting learning experience.

Fingers crossed for you man. I know that IH is a significant investment.

El Marro

Fingers crossed for you man. I know that IH is a significant investment.
Thanks man!
I think it’s going to be just fine. I actually spent a little time using the water spray bottle technique on it yesterday and I think it is relaxing into a more comfortable shape already. This is the first time I have tried this on a denim jacket, I usually do this to my leather jackets when they are brand new and squeaky.

I arrived home this afternoon to find my new IH 22oz overdye Type 3 waiting for me. Initial impression is very good. I love the tone of the overdye, an inky blue- black color. Good fit overall but here is where a little disappointment creeps in. The regular indigo 22oz Jacket I received a few weeks back fits so well out of the box and felt so comfortable right away and this one is not quite there.
I almost wish I had received this jacket first because if I had then I think I would be raving about the fit since I would have nothing better to compare it to
View attachment 241990
All in all I am still pretty happy with this one. I’m going to try to wear it as much as I can in the next week or two and see if I can knock some of the newness out of it.

Okay, I'm sorry man and y'know I love you but send that thing back and do it like yesterday. It's three freaking sizes too large. Two for a relaxed, over-sized fit and I'm not even exaggerating. It's the length of a car coat! I mean, no wonder you're feeling the fit is off. It's too big!

The thing is, I don't think it's you who made a mistake, it's perfectly okay to buy a wider trucker jacket and you ordered what you feel comfortable in. This is 100% IH's screw-up because they made the jacket hilariously long and it looks completely off! You can tell they had NO idea what to do with the front decoration lines. At no size should a Type-3 be this long! And if you unbuttoned the sleeves, they'd be covering your hands.

Send this back and get something else. Seriously.

Mich486

One Too Many
I think it looks longer than it is because the picture is at an angle. But yes I agree that it looks too big in the pictures.

I agree this one looks too large @El Marro.
IH is all over the map size wise and while I’m sure the two you bought have the same tag size this one looks entirely too large. I’d size down at least one size if not two, or measure this one the way they do and see if they have something in the the same tag size that’s a bit shorter and more trim. These jackets won’t shrink much at all but they will stretch. The OD is a fantastic denim. Best they have imho.

El Marro

Okay, I'm sorry man and y'know I love you but send that thing back and do it like yesterday. It's three freaking sizes too large. Two for a relaxed, over-sized fit and I'm not even exaggerating. It's the length of a car coat! I mean, no wonder you're feeling the fit is off. It's too big!

The thing is, I don't think it's you who made a mistake, it's perfectly okay to buy a wider trucker jacket and you ordered what you feel comfortable in. This is 100% IH's screw-up because they made the jacket hilariously long and it looks completely off! You can tell they had NO idea what to do with the front decoration lines. At no size should a Type-3 be this long! And if you unbuttoned the sleeves, they'd be covering your hands.

Send this back and get something else. Seriously.
Too late man, I already cut the tags off the jacket and began water treatment a couple nights ago...
I hear your point, and I would not argue with anything you said but the back length is actually exactly the same as the indigo 22 oz model I have. Sleeve length is definitely too much but I have come to accept that as a necessary evil if I’m going to wear IH.
I think that I will be able to make this jacket fit more than my liking, if by nothing other than sheer willpower and use of a spray bottle. If not I will blame you completely because it was only after I saw your post that I bought this jacket!

Too late man, I already cut the tags off the jacket and began water treatment a couple nights ago...
I hear your point, and I would not argue with anything you said but the back length is actually exactly the same as the indigo 22 oz model I have. Sleeve length is definitely too much but I have come to accept that as a necessary evil if I’m going to wear IH.
I think that I will be able to make this jacket fit more than my liking, if by nothing other than sheer willpower and use of a spray bottle. If not I will blame you completely because it was only after I saw your post that I bought this jacket!
You could wear it for 5 months and then hot water wash it, wear until dry. The fades on the OD can’t be topped.

I fully accept all responsibility if the jacket doesn't work out in a month and I will personally write to IH to get a freaking grip on them selves!

Well it's time to go crazy with this jacket. Throw it in a washing machine, cook it several times and it ought to turn out fine! It's just weird because doesn't look too big as in wide, that's not the problem at all and trucker jackets can be all kinds of roomy and yours fits well, it's just so crazy long!

El Marro

I fully accept all responsibility if the jacket doesn't work out in a month and I will personally write to IH to get a freaking grip on them selves!

Well it's time to go crazy with this jacket. Throw it in a washing machine, cook it several times and it ought to turn out fine! It's just weird because doesn't look too big as in wide, that's not the problem at all and trucker jackets can be all kinds of roomy and yours fits well, it's just so crazy long!
I’m with you on that and it’s annoying that they can’t seem to make a shorter type 3 even when they try! I have sent several emails back-and-forth with Giles from IH and politely suggested that they offer something a bit shorter. It is really unusual for me at 6’1” with a long torso to find a jacket that is too long for me.

You should really look into the first Type 3 run they did, the pocket-less one the new 22oz is supposed to be the remake of even though it really isn't. The first one was like 23" back at sz. Large. That was perfect for a type 3. Oh, and Lee is great, too. My 101J is 23" back at sz. 38 which is also excellent for me.

Psant25

One Too Many
Yeah i begged to bring back the 526j. Normal sleeve, shorter/normal body length, wider/normal shoulder width for pit to pit. I wish I never sold mine. Alex or someone that responded back said maybe but there was not really the interest to back it up

El Marro

Psant25

One Too Many
Thanks for the heads up but the shoulder measurement is too tight and the body length probably quite close to the new overdye that I’ve been whining about...
I know that Selfedge measures a little differently than IH on length but I also know that I need at least a 20” shoulder width or else I feel like I’m strapping on a straitjacket.
I have been real happy with my naked and famous jacket says 21 0z quite a bit cheaper. The cut of this better aligns with what i like. I got a medium and fits great

https://tateandyoko.com/collections.../denim-jacket-elephant-8-supima-soft-selvedge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner