Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Derby of San Francisco Jackets

Bolts

New in Town
Hey guy, I'm a native san franciscan and have been wearing the derby jackets since I was a kid...the best tuff guys jacket ever made.

My dad said they stopped making derbys in 1985 in san francisco...and I actually found out that a guy named ELI EPHRON actually invented the original derby jacket....how can i find out more information on this.....

Looking for other guys into or who collect and know information about the
original derby jackets...

thank you

bolts

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
The jackets in question were manufactured by a company called Derby of San Francisco. These jackets have nothing to do with a derby hat. (It's a good idea to capitalize proper names so as to minimize confusion.) I have a Derby A-2 look-a-like in burgundy horsehide with a quilted lining, maybe from the 50's or 60's. It is a tough jacket and I can't seem to be able to part with it.

Deacon

Familiar Face
Hi Bolts. Thanks for the post on the Derby Jacket. By coincidence I was thinking about these jackets not long ago, but I couldn't remember the name of the them.

When I was a kid living just a few blocks away from San Francisco State College in the late '60s, the "tuff guys" generally favored these jackets in midnight blue. They often paired them up with those black Ben Davis work pants.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Yep. Midnight blue Derby and black Ben Davis

pants (the originals in 100% cotton, stiff as a new HH jacket). Ah, the halcyon days of yesteryear. My last Derby gave it up over a decade ago. I still see one occasionally in a thrift store. Good jackets; comfortable; always looked sharp; warm against that cold Bay wind. Another item we just assumed would always be there...

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
rgraham said:
My brother, my dad and myself all had them. My dads was yellow, and we had navy blue ones. The inside was a gold color with paisley designs. I wore the heck out of the jacket. I wish I still had it.

Here is a pic of someone wearing my dad's jacket around 1975.

derbyjacket.jpg
Damn nice fro! I'm soooo jealous.

No seriously, my hairline has receded faster than the arctic ice shelf in the last few years. :(

Bolts

New in Town
Derby Jackets

Thanks for replying....ya as kids me and my brothers always had a blue derby...i remember as a kid going to a derby store...to buy the jacket...i think my dad paid 35.00 for each jacket. We wore them all through junior high and high school...my older brother was the odd ball, he wore a brown UPS color one, me and most of friends wore the midnight blue one.

THe derbys always held up well...when i was in towing, my oldblue derby withstood the elements, rain, dirt, grease...you name it.

These days, I actually have one left I found on e bay....a brown one...i would never part with it.

Ya, and the ben davis, you cannot call yourself a native s.f. dude without having at least 5 pair of bens....i still wear them every day now.

How would I find out if this guy ELI Ephron actually designed the original derby jacket...

Bolts

New in Town
Derby Jackets

Ok thanks you....I was just wanting any history on the derby jackets, who invented the original design, Mr. Derby....etc...any history.

I was trying to upload pics of more jackets....but Im having trouble uploading...you can find a whole bunch floating around...

Im looking for old derby jacket pics....or any history about the company
etc

I wish someone would make the derbys again..me and my bruders would buy a whol bunch of them!!!!

Bolts

New in Town
Derby Jackets

Hey guys, im looking for any information about Eli Ephron...the history of the derby jacket company in san francisco, the owner,...or anyone who remembers going to the derby jacket store at the factory...which i think was at the old clocktower building before you hit the bay bridge...the building is on the right.

Any derby jacket history....etc....or vintage pics of derbys...would be appreciated...where you bought them, favorite colors...etc.

thanks, bolts

More interested in vintage derby pics, factory information, when derby got started....etc. tx

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rgraham said:
Do you not read the reply's people have submitted? Did you call the guy who used to be the president of the company? You can even email the man. I would think he knows more than anyone here could offer up.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_doh: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Bolts

New in Town
Derby Jackets

Dear Mike in Seattle:

NO NO NO....I'm not going to contact a real estate guy who used to be president of the derby company....so read this please...orI would not have posted additional questions.

Im interested in obtaining information from persons in san francisco who purchased derby jackets at various stores back in the day....the names of the stores, how much they bought them for....information from people who may have remembered going to the derby outlet store, wearing the jackets maybe for work...that were issues

So Mike, if you dont have any information to offer im not interested and I may have already contact the person....but please, take the time to read my specifics...and stop telling me to contact a person whom I dont wish to contact.

Bolts

New in Town
Derby Jackets

The previous post also applies to the person you quoted----

I DONT WANT TO CONTACT THE PERSON WHO USED TO WORK FOR DERBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YETI

A-List Customer
I bought my Derby jackets at Paul's in SOMA(South of Market St. Area, SF). This was in the late 70s early 80s before gentrification. My dad had to take me there since he was the one paying for it(he also probably thought I'd be too scared to go by myself). All I recall was having to take this old cargo elevator with a rusty accordion door/gate to Paul's store which was on the 3rd floor of this dilapidated bldg. I kept wondering to myself "they don't sell these jackets at Mervyn's?". And yes, it was always the tough hombres who wore Derby jackets. I was the only exception. The gangster rap group NWA wore black Derby jackets btw.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bolts said:
Dear Mike in Seattle:

NO NO NO....I'm not going to contact a real estate guy who used to be president of the derby company....so read this please...orI would not have posted additional questions.

Im interested in obtaining information from persons in san francisco who purchased derby jackets at various stores back in the day....the names of the stores, how much they bought them for....information from people who may have remembered going to the derby outlet store, wearing the jackets maybe for work...that were issues

So Mike, if you dont have any information to offer im not interested and I may have already contact the person....but please, take the time to read my specifics...and stop telling me to contact a person whom I dont wish to contact.

Friend, it's clearly evident that either you haven't read the prior posts or aren't processing the information since my message quoted rgraham's quote. I was applauding and agreeing with said quote.

And if I may - rgraham's hit the nail 100% squarely on the head. If you want information on the company, why do you not wish to contact the former head of the company who could provide that information? Wha are you afraid of - succeeding in your quest for information? How moronic is that?

In any event, we're wasting both our time. You know where to get the information you wish, and yet, you won't go get it. Your quest is therefore ended and impossible for you to complete. Said topic has clearly been exhausted and must now come to a close. Perhaps you should set up a site of your own where you can request information that you will then refuse to take, and to your hearts content.

This is starting to make about as much sense as the rotund chap who had the untailored ill-fitting suit from Men's Wearhouse and wouldn't listen to anyone suggesting he go back and have it properly fitted or get his money back...

sixties.nut

Must be Related

I have a neighbor like that, refuses to call Domino's. Just waits and tries to flag down the driver ! lol :eek: lol

Bolts

New in Town
Derby Jackets - Thanks Yeti

Thanks Yeti for the story about Pauls.....and buying the derby there....im very interested in place/old school s.f. p laces they sold them. I actually did talk to the guy who used to work for derby...and he provided me some information....but not a lot.

Ya, the latinos started wearing them...the black ones to a point I remember that every white dude wore a blue one...and every latino wore a black one...i went to McAteer....if you did not wear a derby, you were picked on for sure...

So, this place Pauls....do you remember the location???exactly....I remember going to the derby outlet store one time with my dad and brothers...

I know the later sold them at mervyns, macys...etc...i actually own two vintage...a dark blue, and a ups brown....and again,they are / were the best tuff guys jacket ever made.

THe one's on ebay are selling for a lot....even the ones made after they closed up s.f. production....

I wonder how many derbys they made? It would be cool to actually meet someone who actually worked for derby...or who actually made the jackets...a sewing person, a design person....how the production line worked...etc.

I got the infor from the former guy....but he is talking from a business sense...

Im more interested in the stores who sold them, old time s.f. places.....a guys favorite derby color; and derby story...from the old days...companies that issued them....etc. UPS issued to brown derbys until like 1984....even today some old time drivers still wear them, and have them, and say the derbys were the best and most comfortable then the ones, non derby they wear now.

thanks Bolts

Deacon

Familiar Face
Hi Bolts. Good luck in your search to make contact with one of the old-timers who made or sold the Derbies. It's a worthy effort.

It is probably the case that unless a person lived in San Francisco back in The Day (1960s and '70s), he or she would probably find it hard to appreciate how pervasive these jackets were and the statement they made. For me, the Derby really evokes a bygone era in San Francisco, and, I believe, are almost iconic to those of us who lived in certain neighborhoods during that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner