Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

details of U-boat coat

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Spurred by the posts in this forum, I looked for pictures of actual U boat doble breasted coats on the net. The ones i found seem to differ in 2 way: chest seam is straight, not pointed, and no straps on the sleeves. One text reference seems to agree with the historical pictures, contra the repros.

Can anyone shed any light on what the originals looked like?

91_Mustang

New in Town
That's a great question! From the searches I've done it does seem that there are multiple variations of U-boat coats. Some have 6 chest buttons and some have 8 buttons. The colors vary from brown to gray to black. There also appears to be variances in the pattern design. I'm not sure how many variations were made and what the exact changes were but it would be very interesting to know more about it if anyone has any info.

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
Hi, new to the lounge, I found it while researching U-Boat coats.

I'm a sucker for leather jackets and found a original Oberleutnant zur See U-Boat coat at a firearms and miltaria auction last week. It arrived today and man, am I pleased, great condition for it's age and fits me perfectly!
Mine is black, two lower outer pockets and two handwarmers, two inner breast pockets. No belts or straps, eight buttons and only buttons one way. The collar button was removed along the way and the hole was never used, probably for comfort.

My chest and back seams are pointed, no buttons on the pockets but two shoulder buttons for shoulder boards to mount. It came with the Oberleutnant zur See shoulder boards but I have removed them for wearing out in public.

The lining seems to be black moleskin with satin sleeve linings and wool cuffs inside the leather sleeves. The pockets are lined with brown moleskin.

I have not seen one exactly like this but I know it's original since it came with the shoulder boards (last picture).

Really quite a great coat, don't know why anyone would buy a new repro while these are still out there. just need to give it a coat of Pecard's black leather dressing and I'm good to go.

thanks,

Rob

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
Thank you, it's just been cleaned and is drying, tomorrow it gets a coat of Pecard's Black leather dressing.

No labels at all but the back of the buttons are stamped "OVERHOFF & Cie." which was a major supllier of buttons , buckles, etc. to the Third Reich.

CliffG

One of the Regulars
newbie here, but from my limited knowledge of U-boats I have read in many different references that the clothing was at large left to the crew, I do think that the commanding officers may have had more of a standard uniform, but I still think it was not necessarily a hard and fast rule on what you wanted to wear.
I had a great uncle who was in a diesel powered sub in WWII, I have heard a few stories and remember him saying that he did like the fredome to wear something you picked up at port once you were under way again.
just my very limited input here.
Thanks,
Cliff

PuLpO

Familiar Face
hi m8, had the same coat and i would sell it, first for all its not an ww2 but its the same cut as. its an postwar german early U -boat Marine Coat.
Condition as a new one.
i had, or better say i must have bought this coat on my marine time.

if someone interested in ask me via pn.

regards Stephan.

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
Stephan,if it's the same coat pictured I am interested in another. I tried to PM you but for some reason I cannot.

Email me direct at recoil@optimum.net with details if you would.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Just a word of caution, there are several 'dodgy' sellers on eBay that are prone to adding shoulder boards, fixings, insignia stitch-holes (on "Luftwaffe" jackets) and over the years I have encountered similar practices at militaria shows. They take advantage of the lack of definitive styles for coats and jackets, many being private purchase during the war. I am not saying the one above is such a jacket but just to say be careful out there when buying.

roy

New in Town
u boat coat

Hi Rob, some info on your coat!
It is an old(70s-80s) West German "Wasserschutzpolizei" jacket, which can be roughly translated as river patrol police, responsible for security and policing of inland waterways, and possibly some harbours as well!
Cheers
Roy

Recoil Rob

One of the Regulars
roy said:
Hi Rob, some info on your coat!
It is an old(70s-80s) West German "Wasserschutzpolizei" jacket, which can be roughly translated as river patrol police, responsible for security and policing of inland waterways, and possibly some harbours as well!
Cheers
Roy

That would mean Over & Cie was still in business after WWII? Can anyone verify that?

No matter, I like the coat.

thanks,

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo