Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Clothing Company of Tulsa, Oklahoma - A-2's

Arguably some of the best looking hides around; Dave has had some real homeruns (@A-1 has a gorgeous DD), but some around here hesitate because of past issues over mistakes. To his credit- most issues were resolved (I think). He is active over on the VLJ forum.

Reactions: A-1
DD has learned from arguably the single-best jacket maker around, John Chapman of Good Wear Leather. During the phase where DD was learning his craft - one that takes years to master - some examples had issues and were pointed out here with little in the way of kindness and in some cases, any inkling of thought as to the human on the other side who made the jacket(s).

One could not really survive unless wealthy by learning this craft, and having the ability to do so in a way that didn't expose one's flaws while learning the finer details. I've handled some of DD's jackets and they were amazing in quality, but one was too small for me and one was an earlier test version that didn't fit my body right. It was likely a combination of my build, and DD's learning curve. Learning from the best takes time.

All that out of the way, I've not seen much lately from DD, but I imagine that he's been working on his skills and an A-2 would be something that he could make quite capably now. Maybe others have more recent info/experiences. Just want to say that there will - as stated - be opinions all over the map. Some makers were lucky or smart enough not to have their early days picked apart here online. DD went the hard way - publicly.
Good luck on finding a jacket!

Yeah, when DD gets it right, there's hardly any comparison. I can only dream of ever finding a jacket made out of half as nice hide as Carlos' J-100...

Reactions: A-1
During the phase where DD was learning his craft - one that takes years to master - some examples had issues and were pointed out here with little in the way of kindness and in some cases, any inkling of thought as to the human on the other side who made the jacket(s).

I often think about that and feel genuinely shitty for being too vocal whenever some imperfection in DD's jackets have been brought up. Admittedly, some were downright questionable but still... The main problem was the price, I believe. DD was charging premium even when he was still clearly learning his craft... but as with any art, learning it is a journey that lasts a lifetime, at the end of which you realize it has only just begun.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DD has the ability to produce a stellar jacket made from Shinki HH at a wonderful price (A-1's jacket is such an example). He also has the ability to produce meaningfully flawed jackets that undermine and defeat the low price (there are a few public examples, and some private examples that were never exposed to public TFL scrutiny). In other words, DD has had some consistency issues. As others have noted, some of DD's consistency problems are likely a result of his relative lack of experience. He does indeed have a wonderful mentor in JC, but it remains to be seen whether DD has the inherent ability to consistently apply the invaluable lessons received from JC. If DD pulls it all together and is able to consistently produce high quality jackets, the price he charges for Shinki HH is certainly noteworthy. Until then, I'll stick with the mentor.

To divert a little, Skinki can look shiny when new. I tried a black Shinki HH Ventura from Good Wear that I now wish I have kept, along with my seal Shinki Ventura. The black one was really shinier, and maybe less experienced folks would have thought it looked "plasticky". I happen to like shiny leathers as they tend to break in nicely, but it's certainly not that.
Super hit it with DD's issues I think. None of the makers who are pretty much guaranteed to deliver a flawless jacket got there overnight. DD won't either.

Juanito

One of the Regulars
DD made a Cable A-2 for me about a year and a half ago. I have absolutely no issues with the build quality of the jacket or the service and communication; it was on par with any high end jacket I have owned. My only issue was with the leather; the steerhide had an extremely thin aniline finish that appeared antiqued when new (and no, it was not a pre-aged combat clone), and it wore off very quickly. I think I may have posted a review here in the lounge when I first received it.

I would not hesitate to buy another and would like to do so, but the leather, particularly the finish, would need to be upgraded to something closer to my original A-2s before I do so.

dan_t

Practically Family
I managed to handle 2 of his jackets. Unfortunately for me the shape & sizing didn't end up working so they both went back.
The main points that I'd like to emphasise though is that;
a) the build quality of each jacket was superb. The hide choice was also wonderful.
b) Dave's communication with me throughout the entire process was as professional as anyone could expect.
All in all, I'd not hesitate to again contact him if I were in the market for one of his designs. Just make sure you are clear on what you want & are able to articulate this.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After a few tries I've ended up with a (I think) fantastic J100.

When he hits, he hits a home run . There have been a few swings and misses from him....but from what I can tell he always makes it right.

I'd just advise to not making many (if any) adjustments to the set pattern.

09e8024f53cc71c7bd4afa5bf2055b5d.jpg

e17b312a2a2ca45e59980f8ecdae43e5.jpg

Fonzie

One Too Many

When he hits, he hits a home run . There have been a few swings and misses from him....but from what I can tell he always makes it right.

Epic jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I'm talking about. Perfect cut, leather and fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy